One Day in Florence... what to do ?

annieonthegem

Hire a helicopter!:D

Sorry, I could not resist; I assume you know that Livorno is quite far from Florence.

Your only alternative (unless your ship offers such a tour) is hiring a private tour company to customize a tour to your specifications. There are dozens of threads about such companies on this board.

Enjoy your visit!

It would be tough to spend any meaningful time in Florence if you also want to visit "a few" wineries in Tuscany. It's all too tempting to try to see everything in Tuscany in a day -- but it can't be done.

I spent a week in Florence and only went on one day trip outside the city -- that's how much there is to see and do there.

You may find a private tour who can whisk you into the museum to see Michelangelo's David, trot you past the Duomo, drive you to a winery for a tasting, and stop to snap a photo of the leaning tower in Pisa on your way back to the ship. If that's your desire, it can probably be done. It just doesn't seem like a very meaningful day; more like a check-off list. But to each his or her own.

I would highly recommend a company called Hills and Roads http://www.hillsandroads.com/ Luca, the owner gave us a fantatsic tour - we spent the morning in Florence - walked across the Ponte veccio bridge, saw the Doumo, but did not go in due to the long line, stopped at the sqaure where the replica of David is, shopped at the leather store, got advance tickets to the Academey where we saw the statue of David - it was awesome and the afternoon was spent driving through the Tuscan countryside - seeing all of the grape vineyards and olive groves. We had lunch at a restaurant in a medieval village - we were the only tourists in the restaurant. The food was absolutely delicious, as was the wine (we bought a couple of bottles to bring home). The pasta was made from scratch by mom. We then walked around town and then traveled through the countryside to another medieval village. A great day. It was very relaxing, not rushed and we were back at the ship at 6. Luca will take very good care of your party and will arrange a tour according to your wishes. He grew up in the area and knows the country well. He speaks 4 languages. He specializes in medieval tours and wineries that are not part of tourists stops. If you use him, tell him the O'Hara's referred you to his company and you will get a 3% discount

I definitely would spend all your time in Florence. Save the countryside for the next time if you haven't been to Florence. It is such an amazing little city. There is so much to see there and it's so easy to wander.

It's 90 minutes outside Livorno but it is possible to see most of the sites of Florence if you have a private guide. Don't DO a ship tour. It's a rip off. Find a good private guide/driver and make every minute count there.

Our cruise ship will be stopping in Florence for one day, early October. Would really like to visit a few wineries in the region, and see some of Florence at the same time. Any suggestions as to how best to accomplish this in one day?

Thanks, Anne

I will be there on October 6 and am trying to find partners to share a tour of the tuscany region. Any chance you are there the same day?

Our cruise ship will be stopping in Florence for one day, early October. Would really like to visit a few wineries in the region, and see some of Florence at the same time. Any suggestions as to how best to accomplish this in one day?

Thanks, Anne

As others have said port is far from Florence. You will have to pick Florence or Tuscany. I can't imagine even a poor attempt at either with a day. Even with a full day 7am to 5pm you will only scratch the wonders in Florence.

Private car will likely get you to see the most but costs more than DIY. If possible plan and get a private tour or DIY but avoid the cruise line tours.

Good luck.

Archived