Dress Code on HAL

binjo6

My hubby and I are talking about taking a Asian cruise. We have traveled HAL and NCL. We like NCL because of the dress code. Can anyone help us about dress code on HAL? We are just common folk and I don't want to wear dresses and he doesn't want or won't wear a suit and tie. Can he wear slacks and nice shirt? And we don't want to go to the buffet every night. We want the nice meals in the MDR like everyone else. Any info would be great appreciated. Thank you.

On all but formal nights (every 3rd or 4th night) the dining room is "smart casual". On formal nights you may still dress smart casual in the Lido, or order room service.

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

Thanks for the response. We don't wear jeans to any meals. My husband would just prefer to wear slacks and collared shirt and slacks and nice top for me. Even on formal nights. Are jackets and ties required in MDR?

We don't want to eat at the buffet on formal nights and miss the good meals.

As stated above, coats and tie are not required in the MDR on smart casual nights. Formal nights - yes. Men without coats have (thankfully) been turned away from the MDR on formal nights. Some have made it in, but I wouldn't bet a cruise on that occurring. The Lido serves basically the same menu as the MDR (maybe no lobster - but it is poor lobster IMHO anyway) and the MDR menu is also available from room service.

binjo, have you read the thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1064258 ?

I am not sure if this will answer your question or not, but it sure is getting a LOT of responses regarding how comfortable a person can be during the evening hours.

If it doesn't quite answer your question, post again, and I am sure you will get some more suggestions.

I am sure from reading previous threads that you will find the dress code to be MORE strict than NCL! I was reading just yesterday someone who had thought the dress code was more relaxed on NCL than HAL, this may not be the right cruise for you!

On formal nights, formal dress is required for the main dining room, so things may not be to your liking!

ibcruising. - Thanks. I had read those threads and it helped alot. I believe HAL may not be for us. Especially with some of those comments. "Thankfully they don't allow men without ties, 2 cent stamp comment. " Sorry a bit snobbish for me. Do these people actually have fun?

We do want to travel to SE Asia and since we have traveled with HAL before would prefer to use HAL again. NCL does not go there. Any other suggestions? Thank you again for being so polite and nice.

I've never cruised NCL so I dont' know how casual their dress is, but HAL is certainly not nearly as dressy as it was in 1994 when I first started cruising. There were two smart casual nights, first and last. The rest were informal, jacket required for men, and formal. They've totally done away with the informal. I've never seen them turn anyone away

Only one HAL cruise; 14N Masdam. People well dressed but not fashionably. Very sedate atmosphere.In contrast to NCL Jewel (did 42N Euro several yrs. ago), not fun. Granted HAL cruisers 30 yrs. older. Food boring. Meat/potatoes/veg every night on HAL. I really enjoyed changing restaurants every night on NCL. I did see a man without proper dress turned away on Formal night on Masdam.

Do these people actually have fun?

It may be impossible for some to comprehend, but yes, there are those for whom dressing up, and looking around and seeing others all dressed up, is fun. We then proceed to have a heck of a good time all evening.

My hubby and I are talking about taking a Asian cruise. We have traveled HAL and NCL. We like NCL because of the dress code. Can anyone help us about dress code on HAL? We are just common folk and I don't want to wear dresses and he doesn't want or won't wear a suit and tie. Can he wear slacks and nice shirt? And we don't want to go to the buffet every night. We want the nice meals in the MDR like everyone else. Any info would be great appreciated. Thank you.

Binjo, I think you will both be fine in the evenings, and able to eat in the MDR except on the Formal Nights. On those nights, if you don't want to follow HAL's formal night guidelines you have the choice of eating in the Lido or ordering room service (and get the same nice meals that the dining room serves).

Note that on formal nights, I wore some dressy slacks and frilly blouse and DH wore a slacks, dark sports coat and tie, if that sounds like a possibilty for you.

Good luck and enjoy your Asian cruise! :)

ibcruising. - Thanks. I had read those threads and it helped alot. I believe HAL may not be for us. Especially with some of those comments. "Thankfully they don't allow men without ties, 2 cent stamp comment. " Sorry a bit snobbish for me. Do these people actually have fun?

We do want to travel to SE Asia and since we have traveled with HAL before would prefer to use HAL again. NCL does not go there. Any other suggestions? Thank you again for being so polite and nice.

Sorry, but your attitude is the same as snobbery, only reversely so! If you do not care to dress up, we don't care....truly. But, why should YOU care if we DO like to dress up and sail like in the old days....does that make us snobs in your eyes....why?

We look upon a cruise with dressing up, as something to be done as once in a lifetime or at least something special, so call us crazy....he pretends he is James Bond, me....I can't begin to pretend I am a Bond girl...but love the idea of finally having a chance to dress and have FUN! Yes, believe it or not, we actually have fun being dressed up. :cool: Not meaning anything against your ideas of how you want to cruise, just wish you wouldn't classify us as snobs and un-fun (if there IS such a word), because we DO like to dress.

I apologize to all of you. Didn't mean to offend but I was offended and took it out on the post. Sorry. I used to love to dress up but now we are having fun being casual and would prefer to stay that way. I love to look at all the pretty clothes. Please accept my apologies.

ibcruising.We do want to travel to SE Asia and since we have traveled with HAL before would prefer to use HAL again. Any other suggestions? Thank you again for being so polite and nice.

You are welcome binjo. If I were you, and if I wanted to go to SE Asia, and HAL had the best itinerary, best dates, best price, etc, then I would go for it and book the cruise. Since you have cruised HAL before, and since it isn't the smart casual that is the issue, there are a couple of other ways that you can handle the formal night.

Have you ever considered booking your husbands suit through cruiseline formals, that way you won't have to worry about the extra space and weight in the much needed room in the suitcase? I have done this a couple of times with my husband and it has worked out perfectly. This probably is a practical idea when travelling all the way to Asia.

For you, a lovely pair of pants and with Christmas coming up, there will be all kinds of glittery tops (black, gold) that you will be able to mix and match. Tuxedos are not the only suggested wear, but a dark suit, even a jacket and tie are acceptable. For you, a suit is also more than acceptable (all from HAL website).

I know your husband doesn't like the suit and tie, but perhaps if he sees the nice pant suit you have, he may give in with the jacket and tie. You never know :) Good luck with your decision!

ibcruising. Thank you so much. I looked at Princess but HAL has better cruises. And great idea about renting for formal nights. I don't want room service, I want to eat in the MDR and enjoy the views. So we shall see. Thank you again for your comments and suggestions.

It may be impossible for some to comprehend, but yes, there are those for whom dressing up, and looking around and seeing others all dressed up, is fun. We then proceed to have a heck of a good time all evening.

Absolutely we have a good time!

And here's proof.

This video clip was shot on a cruise to Antarctica in January 2008 aboard the Rotterdam. It was taken on a Formal Night, in the Crows Nest, sometime quite a bit after dinner (because it's dark outside and it didn't get that dark until around midnight or thereabouts) ... It's of Ruth dancing ... SITTING DOWN. :D

Love ya, Ruth!

On our last cruise, we did not find the dress code to be that restrictive. I asked the maitre d' one night if we (my daughter and myself) could eat in the dining room dressed as we were. We had been out on a tour all day, had a happy hour drink, and then went to the dining room. We were clean and presentable....and dressed in jeans! I know...horrors. But we looked presentable. I had on a sweater set with the outer sweater having a hood. He said we most definitely could eat there. We did and we did not feel out of place and we did not get a second look from anyone.

On the second formal night, we decided to try the Lido. It was great. The tables all had cloths, looking just as festive as the MDR, and the food was outstanding. The best part...it was not too crowded and we were able to get a table right by the window. Since it was still light, from our window seats, we were able to watch the scenery as we sailed by and see a glorious sunset.

Sorry to be so long with the answer, but I would not let the dress code deter me from cruising on HAL. It is the most wonderful way to cruise. :)

Absolutely we have a good time!

And here's proof.

... It's of Ruth dancing ... SITTING DOWN. :D

Love ya, Ruth!

Love ya, too, Greg. But I'm going to have to learn to hide under a rock when you've got that camera going. :p

Ya, know what's funny---when I clicked on the link, I started "dancing" in the recliner all over again! :D

binjo6,

We just got back from an Alaskan cruise on the Ryndam. There were two formal nights, but all the other nights were casual. Some people dressed up, some didn't. There was one night when we were tired, didn't feel like changing and went to the main dining room in blue jeans. No one gave us a second look. We saw many others in similiar attire. Other nights I felt like dressing up a bit more and wore black slacks, a nice blouse and black flats. My husband wore black slacks and a polo shirt most nights. We encountered no snobbery on our cruise. We would definetly sail with HAL again.

Love ya, too, Greg. But I'm going to have to learn to hide under a rock when you've got that camera going. :p

Ya, know what's funny---when I clicked on the link, I started "dancing" in the recliner all over again! :D

:) My dear Ruth, I knew you would! You are so full of joy and song ... you are a pleasure to be around and I enjoy cruising with you. Speaking of which, it won't be long, now, before you fly to Europe and board the Rotterdam! Take good care of her and get her ready for us on October 31!!!!!!!!!!

:) My dear Ruth, I knew you would! You are so full of joy and song ... you are a pleasure to be around and I enjoy cruising with you. Speaking of which, it won't be long, now, before you fly to Europe and board the Rotterdam! Take good care of her and get her ready for us on October 31!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, three weeks from this very moment I shall be fast asleep in Athens.

But get the Rotterdam ready for you? There's staff for that, dear. I will be out playing.

Archived