Dress Code on HAL

binjo6

I have the latest version (7.4.6) installed and I get sound but no video in Internet Explorer and neither video nor sound in Firefox..

Rev Neal, I also have up to date everything, browsers are Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Safari, plus all the add ons plig ins etc., and still only get sound. I updated my Quick time 1 week ago and there is no up date since.

Can hear well, just no see...

Joanie

Hmmmm ... I can't explain why. I've just checked it on a windows machine and it plays fine. I've never before had anybody complain that they can't view these videos. Perhaps it's certain setting in your browser that are blocking you from viewing/hearing it? Either way, it's unfortunate.

If you wish, you can download it from here:

http://www.revneal.org/media/video/ruthdancing.m4v

clicking on the link will download the video-file to your computer and you can play it from there.

It now opens in itunes which works fine for me.

RuthC, you be having a blast I see:D

Joanie

And I'm toward the tail end of the boomers and we'll be the sailing public over the next 40 - 50 years (or thereabouts, depending how long we live). :D So ... there's not much to worry about, eh?

If I live as long as my grandmother, she died at 106, great gramma 101 and my mom 91 (she smoked) I hope to be cruising as long as you!

My wife bitched and moaned like crazy about the two formal nights on our firs cruise on the Veendam. We booked on the Noordam for the December 1st Cruise and she bought three new outfits and has one suitcase packed since July. She actually looks forward to the formal dinners and is trying to talk me into a evening dinner in the Pinnacle Resturant which is formal. I hate getting dressed up but actually enjoy it on the cruise. We never get dressed up for dinner at home so I think it adds to the holiday. We love HAL and there room service and Lido are great alternatives if you don't want to get dressed up but that would be your call. Enjoy your cruise whichever you take. I don't think we are snobs and we are common folk that enjoy the tradition.

Rev Neal, I also have up to date everything, browsers are Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Safari, plus all the add ons plig ins etc., and still only get sound. I updated my Quick time 1 week ago and there is no up date since.

Can hear well, just no see...

Thanks for the report, Joanie. Strange. You're third among a tiny group of people who can't see the video embedded in the browser. I wonder ... does this one play in the browser?

http://homepage.mac.com/revneal/rotterdam2008/iMovieTheater267.html

Ruth - just watched you chair dancing and joined right in! You are a hoot and just like you appear from that smiling photo of yours. She loves chocolate and she can dance - woo-hoo! :p My kinda girl! We would be honored to sail with you some day, and I'll be expecting a repeat performance! You go, girl!

..., I know that HAL was one of the few lines that adheres to, how shall I say, the traditions of times past - when traveling was an adventure to be savored.

No one on the ship is any more or less special than me, so why can't the guidelines be observed? Why is there constantly a 1% that want to foist their non-compliance on the 99% who enjoy the atmosphere that tradition brings?

Because traditions, perceptiions and just in general things change. Men used to wear powdered wigs. I believe it is higher than 1% that would prefer an all casual cruise.

As John F. Kennedy one said: "Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future."

I'm running both IE and Mozilla on a brand new computer and can get nothing except the white square. For some reason, it won't let me download a plug-in. Darn! I would so love to see Ruth.

"Now I'm downloading with Google Chrome and see it works or not." Today 01:36 PM

Hi Esther,

I can watch Ruth dancing video with Google Chrome too. Like RevNeal said you'll need latest version of Quicktime from Apple.

Thanks for the report, Joanie. Strange. You're third among a tiny group of people who can't see the video embedded in the browser. I wonder ... does this one play in the browser?

http://homepage.mac.com/revneal/rotterdam2008/iMovieTheater267.html

No Sir, RevNeal it opens only for the beautiful Music, I can read the desription under the player but see nothing else. FYI, I have Quicktime set as my default player. I've tried to open the url with Windows media Player, says cannot open the file... Let me try to see if it shows when I open the url in iTunes instead. I cannot open this using my iTunes player either. I think it is because this is an html as opposed to the last one being a different format m4v

Joanie

Because traditions, perceptiions and just in general things change. Men used to wear powdered wigs. I believe it is higher than 1% that would prefer an all casual cruise.

As John F. Kennedy one said: "Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future."

Interesting comment Topspot. BTW, you will enjoy the Eurodam.

Dan

Please do not let something like a dress code keep you from experiencing a wonderful cruise. I personally like to dress up on cruises but there is really no reason to deprive yourself of seeing the world for such a petty reason. I did Holland America in March 2007 from Osaka to Hong Kong and it was incredible. An older crowd, but room great, food great and it was so port intensive slept like a baby. Did not see anyone in Paris designers and actually on formal night i felt like asking where the deceased was as 90 percent in black!!

you are paying for service so I recommend doing the dining room every night. A pair of black pants and a fancy top or a plain covered by a glitzy shawl will do it. Mr does not need a tuxedo!!! I happen to be an expert bargain shopper and actually enjoy planning my outfits. I will wear my walmart pants with a sequin top I got on sale!

Book your cruise and have a great time!

I'm running both IE and Mozilla on a brand new computer and can get nothing except the white square. For some reason, it won't let me download a plug-in. Darn! I would so love to see Ruth.

Go to the link I provided to download the actual file to your computer, then open it from there with either Quicktime or even Windows Media Player. It should work fine.

No Sir, RevNeal it opens only for the beautiful Music, I can read the desription under the player but see nothing else. FYI, I have Quicktime set as my default player. I've tried to open the url with Windows media Player, says cannot open the file... Let me try to see if it shows when I open the url in iTunes instead. I cannot open this using my iTunes player either. I think it is because this is an html as opposed to the last one being a different format m4v

The one I linked was of a different web page that had a different video embedded into it ... the one from my Antarctica Cruise. You can watch it at my Youtube Channel, too, if you prefer:

As has been suggested by someone else, it might be a problem with your firewall. The one thing that seems to screw up Windows machines more than anything else, it's all the virus protection stuff they have to run to protect themselves. I feel sorry for Windows users.

Archived