Crown Bay port, shopping, and ferry/transportation

hunter33

We will be there on Emerald Princess in 3 weeks and I understand that Princess ships almost always dock in Crown Bay now. It looks like the new Crown Bay Center shopping center is fully operable now. We have a few questions and if anyone has input it would be most appreciated.

a) Is Crown Bay Center "fully populated" with shops now and is the shopping decent?

b) Is the Water Island ferry reliable?

c) Is it easy to get a cab from Charlotte Amalie back to Crown Bay?

Thanks

We will be there on Emerald Princess in 3 weeks and I understand that Princess ships almost always dock in Crown Bay now. It looks like the new Crown Bay Center shopping center is fully operable now. We have a few questions and if anyone has input it would be most appreciated.

a) Is Crown Bay Center "fully populated" with shops now and is the shopping decent?

b) Is the Water Island ferry reliable?

c) Is it easy to get a cab from Charlotte Amalie back to Crown Bay?

Thanks

We were there in July.

a) There are a few more shops, but the best shopping is in town.

b) Didn't try it.

c) Cabs are not a problem.

1. It's not like Havensight that's for sure. Really didn't interest me though as I was not there to shop.

2. Didn't try it.

3. It's really easy... the jitney's just go up and down the two main streets looking for people wanting to return to their respective ships.

Yes it is fully operational. They have a number of shops, Diamonds International and the like, but there is, obviously, a better selection in Havensight. They also have a market in the crown bay center which is quite good for local souvenirs.

Never tried the ferry

Besides the continuous flow of taxis to Charlotte Amalie it is also a pleasant 30 minute walk into town.

The local jitney is only $1 and drops you off at the end of the street that goes down to Crown Bay. You can pick it up downtown on the side of the road that is going in that direction. I have found shopping in St. Thomas has become a real pain and no big bargain. There are just too many large cruise ships there at the same time.

The local jitney is only $1 and drops you off at the end of the street that goes down to Crown Bay. You can pick it up downtown on the side of the road that is going in that direction. I have found shopping in St. Thomas has become a real pain and no big bargain. There are just too many large cruise ships there at the same time.

We've heard the same about Charlotte Amalie shopping. We are going to be the only cruise ship in port (Crown Bay or Havensight) that day so hopefully it will be quieter.

Archived