Will the baggage handlers handle luggage with care?

starsteveo

My daughter has some new bags she is worried about using for the cruise. She is really proud of them and does want them to get messed up, dirty or damaged. She was told by someone that they will get ruined. Worry or no worries? Ironic since she bought the bags just for the cruise.

My daughter has some new bags she is worried about using for the cruise. She is really proud of them and does want them to get messed up, dirty or damaged. She was told by someone that they will get ruined. Worry or no worries? Ironic since she bought the bags just for the cruise.

Worry

The cruise people are ok but if you are flying, I wouldn't count on them "playing nice."

I worry more about the handling at the airports than I do at the cruise terminals! :eek: Could the porters handle her bags roughly? Of course! They carry and transport hundreds of pieces on embarkation/debarkation days, so they can be quite rough when throwing them onto the carts. That's why if she is truly worried about damage done to her new bags... then bring old ones. These things do happen. However this being said, she probably will have no problems at all.

No sense in worrying - luggage can and will get torn up sometimes. They will toss the luggage in a huge metal crate with hundreds of other pieces - it could end up on the bottom of the heap. They then use a forklift to take the crates on and off the ship. I've had more problems with serious damage from the airlines but do expect some scuffs and scrapes from the cruise.

All the luggage is piled into huge metal crates that are lifted onto the ship. Luggage on the top does better than luggage on the bottom. My luggage suffers less on a cruise than on a plane.

If she doesn't want the luggage to look like it's been used than she better only use it on car trips.

Her luggage will get tossed onto conveyor belts, piled on top of other luggage, squished under dozens of bags, scraped alongside of luggage carousels and luggage bins, dragged along floors, shoved up against walls, tipped over on concrete, bumped into by forklifts, manhandled by stevedores, rained upon, leaked upon and otherwise treated roughly.

Luckily, truly fine luggage was designed for ALL of that and more -- and looks better and better as each adventure leaves it's marks.

The cruise people are ok but if you are flying, I wouldn't count on them "playing nice."

Did you see the big bins they put the luggage into and the big guys loading them?? No matter what the luggage will look like it was used.

If you are worried about the luggage and it's good luggage you can get plastic that was made to put it in that will help protect it.

I have a question.. WHY do you buy expensive luggage if you don't want to use it for travel and are afraid that it will get tarnished???? Is buying the expensive luggage only for looks.. trying to say that you are a traveler when you are not:rolleyes:

Unless you intend to simply keep it in the closet -- they do make great storage containers for blankets and such -- luggage is going to get beaten up, either by the airlines, the cruise lines, the train, wherever you travel. That's their purpose -- to get beaten up while protecting the contents inside! It won't get any more...or less...battered by the cruise line than by any other public carrier.

I fully understand your daughters wanting her luggage to stay nice looking - I am somewhat neurotic about things like that. If she really wants to keep her luggage nice she needs to learn how to pack within the carry-on limits. That way she has control of her bags & how they are treated. I have not check a bag in over 10 years - that includes cruises & 3 week land vacas to Europe.

I have watched from my balcony while they load and move the carts with tons of luggage and have seen many pieces fall off and just left there for a few min. Also some friends of ours has had their luggage cut just so they could inspect it. So no locks be safe there. But mostly things are pretty good.

My luggage has been on 18 seperate flight segments, 3 cruises and at least a few car trips and is still in one piece but definitely looks like it has traveled from the few tears, scuffs, etc...

I don't think anyluggage would make it through completely unscaffed (sp?) but I think that just gives it character!

Of course it won't look brand new after use unless she does carryon, and even then she can expect some scuffs. Luggage is not handled gently, out of necessity; but its purpose is to protect the contents and get them to the destination, not to make a fashion statement. After several cruises, our luggage looks like it has been around a while. The worst was when someone ran over one of out suitcases with, apparently, one of those vehicles that they use to move the luggage around -- and that happened not at an airport, but at the cruise terminal.

as everyone has already said, it will fare better at the cruise terminal. the airport is pretty rough on luggage. i had a brand new red hard side suitcase that i was so proud of. i checked it in savannah and when i got it at the airport in miami, it looked like someone had spun tires on it.:eek: oh well......it's luggage. all my stuff inside was fine.

I will not even read the rest of this thread because the answer is so glaringly obvious to me.

NO one behind the scenes gives a crap about her bags,, they just want to get their jobs done and get onto loading and unloading whatever is next.

Have dd build an altar in her living room to put bags, it is the only place I know they will truly ever be safe from wear and tear.

For a lighthearted look at the likely outcome, go to:

I always use the cheapest luggage I can find and spray paint silly markings on it so I can find it on the carousel. When I was young, I wanted nice things, but I have learned they are not worth the worry. Besides, the rougher your luggage looks the cooler and more experienced you look.:D

Archived