If you had one choice of a tour of either Marseille, Aix en Provence, Avignon?

kaypeg

Has anyone taken the bus from Marseilles to Aix recently? I found a review that strongly recommends this and gives step by step directions. I don't know how old this is, so I would just like to know if any one has done this and can comment. Here are the directions:

First you want to make your way into Vieux Port. If you are docked in the inner harbor walk around Fort Jean and along the inner harbor.

Once you reach the foot of Vieux Port, look for the street named La Canebiere. You will find the Marseille tourist office located here. If you head inland on La Canebiere two blocks you will see a street to your left that has an arch at the end of it. Once you get to the arch you will be on the street that the bus to Aix en Provence departs from.

If you turn 90-degrees to your right you will see the bus on the upper street parked at the bus station for the Aix en Provence service. It is important to look from the street, as if you follow the sidewalk, you will not see the bus because it is hidden behind a wall out of view from the sidewalk to the right of the lower street.

The bus operates every ten-minutes so you won't have to wait long to depart. The fare is around 6 euros per person each way. You can also take the train and the train station is adjacent to the bus, however the bus is the most comfortable and enjoyable way to get to Aix en Provence.

Has anyone taken the bus from Marseilles to Aix recently? I found a review that strongly recommends this and gives step by step directions. I don't know how old this is, so I would just like to know if any one has done this and can comment. Here are the directions:

First you want to make your way into Vieux Port. If you are docked in the inner harbor walk around Fort Jean and along the inner harbor.

Once you reach the foot of Vieux Port, look for the street named La Canebiere. You will find the Marseille tourist office located here. If you head inland on La Canebiere two blocks you will see a street to your left that has an arch at the end of it. Once you get to the arch you will be on the street that the bus to Aix en Provence departs from.

If you turn 90-degrees to your right you will see the bus on the upper street parked at the bus station for the Aix en Provence service. It is important to look from the street, as if you follow the sidewalk, you will not see the bus because it is hidden behind a wall out of view from the sidewalk to the right of the lower street.

The bus operates every ten-minutes so you won't have to wait long to depart. The fare is around 6 euros per person each way. You can also take the train and the train station is adjacent to the bus, however the bus is the most comfortable and enjoyable way to get to Aix en Provence.

I think the 10-minute bus frequency operated several years ago. At that time, the train service to Aix was suspended for engineering work.

You will find the present bus timetable etc at www.navetteaixmarseille.com/IMG/file/Horaires/FH-51-oct09.pdf. According to the timetable, buses run about every 30-minutes (Less frequent on Sundays and Public holidays). The fare is 4.60€ each way (purchase tickets from the driver). There is a reduced fare for seniors (65+) is 1€ each way.

With regard to the other instructions, you must find out where the ship will dock. Most cruise lines can provide this information - but you will need to ask. Large cruise ships berth in the container port, which is not close to Marseille city centre (and definitely not within walking distance). Unless the cruise line provides a free shuttle bus to the city, you must also allow for the cost of a taxi each way between the ship and the Gare Routiere in Marseille.

From the container port, Marseille city centre is in the opposite direction from Aix en Provence. (The motorway passes close to the port).

As I said in my previous post, a taxi between the ship and Aix may be a cost effective option, particularly if you can share the cost between four passengers. Even if you don't save much money, you will gain a lot of time.

Great info. Thanks a lot. I will keep researching and post any new info I figure out.

I have just discovered an additional, and very frequent bus service between Marseille and Aix en Provence. The journey takes 30 minutes (traffic conditions permitting). You can download the timetable from www.navetteaixmarseille.com/IMG/file/horaires%202010/FH%20anglais.pdf.

The one way fare costs 4.90€.

Wow that looks perfect. I think the bus is the way to go given that schedule. I am sure you are right that we will have to take a cab or a shuttle from the outer dock to the bus station. Once we do, it looks pretty easy to catch the bus to Aix.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

My vote is definitely Avignon if you only have one day. It's a wonderful place for walking about on your own...we are not tour people so I agree with Hank and would never pay for someone to lead me around town. The Papal palace is well worth touring on your own in Avignon. People watching is great and as with most European towns/cities - wandering around outdoors is the best way to get a real feel for the culture. If you are lucky enough to be there on a Market Day - even better.

Aix is lovely - we were just there a couple weeks ago but in my opinion doesn't beat Avignon if you only have one day. We had already been to St. Remy, Avignon, Arles and Les Baux post-cruise a couple years ago so we opted for Aix this time. We (3 people) took a taxi from the Marseilles cruise port (which is FAR from the Old Port in Marseilles) directly to Aix for 53 Euros. We took the bus back for 7 Euros each to Marseilles, then walked to the Old Port (wouldn't do that again...), then took the ship's shuttle back to the port. The Marseilles train and bus stations are not in a good area...especially at night... which is a shame because the bus and train travel is excellent. We take public transport all the time when we travel and Marseilles put us all on edge :-)

As good as the public transport is in Provence - a car is a GREAT way to add to your experience. It is such a beautiful part of France and you could easily go to Avignon and St. Remy. We took as many pictures driving in Provence as we did in the various towns and cities we visited.

I personally would not include Marseilles on a must see list...although our time there made us appreciate the other parts of Provence.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Quote:

Originally Posted by CJcruzer viewpost.gif

We had a private tour for 8 going to Avignon (Palace of the Popes), St Remy (lunch and visit to sanitorium/hospital where Van Gogh stayed and painted), and then onto Les Beaux (unique perched village)....It was a wonderful day blending a World UNESCO site wih a small french town and then a Provencal village.

We did this tour Oct 2008 - we paid 75 Euros per person, lunch was not included, nor was the entrance to Avignon - since my husband paid for lunch for the tour operator, she paid our admissions (group of 8) to the sanitorium in St. Remy....

the price for the tour was 600 Euros for a full day (probably about 8 to 8-1/2 hours - comfortable air conditioned Mercedes van - and the tour operator had a mini-mike system so everyone heard her clearly.

Do you have the name and contact info. for the tour operator you used? If so please post.

Thanks

• 1 year later...
Hank- you are so right - I would love to go back and go to Luberon and all the small Provencal villages ---

Sometimes you have to list and balance all the sightseeing and relegate them to groups: Cathedrals, walking tours, small villages, museums, etc... We were going to St. paul de Vence, and Eze and after to Cinque Terre villages - so we opted for a little "larger" venue - meaning Avignon and St. Remy - Les Beaux was fabulous, what a ride up to the village.....

I would have loved to wander around Aix, but the day before we had been in Sete, and along with walking the waterfront and eating mussels:p, we had gone on a walking tour of Montpellier....Whereas Aix is the capital of Provence, Montpellier is the capital of Languedoc region -- and both are "university" towns filled with beautiful architecture.

Therefore we "mixed up" the venues and decided on Avignon, St. Remy, and Les Beaux - we were not disappointed.

I think the poster should look at what else they have planned and try to not get too many similar type of venues linked together one after another ----

Too many museums, too many cathedrals, etc - and one becomes a little bored from repetition....

I am a canadian living in Sète and love it! It is an authentic, lively town called the "Venice of France" bordered by canals on one side and the Mediterranean sea with fabulous sandy beaches on the other. Amazing galleries, 3 art museums, a local indoor market with plenty of seafood. There is a new gourmet walking tour to be operated in Sète starting next April dedicated to cruise ship passengers which can make the stay well worth while.

Great Information here. If we arrive in La Seyne sur Mer, would it be possible to drive and see Aix, St Remy, Les Baux and perhaps a winery in our stop??

Absolutely! It's one of the reasons we prefer to rent cars in many ports....i.e. we get flexibility and can do as we please without a lot of the wasted time on large excursions (they only go as fast as the slowest participant). As to wineries, perhaps somebody will have a good recommendation. Our favorite wineries in this region are all North of Avignon (near Orange) which is the heart of the Rhone area (we really like the small villages of Gigondas and Chateauneuf du Pape but this is a bit of a stretch when starting out from La Seyne.

Hank

• 2 months later...

Lots of questions, so thank you in advance.

Our ship (Oceania Marina) docks in Marseille. What should we expect to pay for a taxi to the train station?

Any hints on taking the train to Aix en Provence?

Someone mentioned a shuttle from the train station back to the cruise ship port. Is that specific to each cruise line or public transportation that goes to several ships/ports?

Also, what type of weather is likely in early April in Provence/French Riviera?

Will our bank issue a 4 digit pin to use in European ATM's?

Thanks again!

Ricki

• 4 weeks later...

I'm on a cruise ship docked in Marseille for one day. I'd like to just find private transportation to Aix en Provence to explore there for the day on my own without having to mess with public transporation for a short day. Does anyone have any suggestions for a tour guide/company in that area who would just be willing to do the transport?

• 2 weeks later...
For first time visitors who do not want to rent a car I would suggest taking the ship's shuttle bus into town (they drop you at the old port area). You could also ask how much the taxis want to take you to the train station (might be reasonable if you have 4) to save a few minutes. Than, you can walk the few blocks to the train station and take a train to Aix en Provence where you can explore that very picturesque Provence town and have a nice lunch at one of the well-placed cafes located along the Cours Mirabeau. Than take an early afternoon train back to Marseille and spend the remainder of your time walking around the old port part of Marseille (where you will also get the shuttle bus back to your ship).

Hank

This is exactly what we did, and it was a great day! Aix en Provence was charming!:)

My wife and I stayed in Arles a few years ago and visited Avingnon while we were there. If I had to choose between the two for a one time visit, I would definately pick Arles. There is so much history packed into a small area. From the Roman Amphitheatre to the winding Medieval streets, Arles has it all. Avignon was interesting, and the Palace of the Popes was a very historic building. But, overall, Arles was a much better experience. Here's a link to some pictures I took in Arles:

I loved your photos of Arles! Thanks for sharing!:)

I strongly recommend Provence... It was my favorite day on our Western Mediterranean cruise last year. We (me and kids, 9 & 11 yrs) had a private tour guide for the day for 380 Euros. She picked us up at the ship and told us all about the various areas as we drove to our destinations. Her knowledge really made the difference between just driving and appreciating France. We were fortunate to be in St Remy on the day of the street market... where I purchased my only real prize... a very large free-form salad bowl turned from olive wood. We also trekked through les Baux village (castle), which was a huge treat for my kids.

This sounds wonderful! Do you have the name of the tour guide that you used? Thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived