St George- worth the half day trip from dockyard?

Diabloshalo

We are going to Bermuda next week. Looks like it might rain Tuesday so we were thinking of going to St George for the afternoon. Us, 1yo dd, and inlaws. Sight seeing, etc.

Last year we went to Hamilton and it was under construction, busy, congested. I didn't really like it. The locals were not rude, but not nice either.

Anyone think downtown St George is worth the ferry ride up/back and a few hours there? Should we go even if it doesn't rain (is it really worth it?!?).

Thanks!

we really enjoyed the ferry ride to st. george. the town is small and quaint and we preferred it over hamilton. hamilton was just to big for us. at noon, they have wench dunking which was cute. other than that, you can just ramble around. we took the bus down to hamilton and it was like night and day. make sure to take rain poncho as we used ours almost every day we were there.

Most Definitely! - St. George is a lovely peaceful town with a surprising amount to see (check out www.bermuda4u.com/blog/video-tour-st-georges-parish/ ).

Ferries can be a bit erratic round lunch time so i would take the ferry over from dockyard and take the bus back - give you a chance to see more of the island . If you want to eat 'local' avoid the pubs - there is a Supermarket (Somers Supermart at 41 York Street, St George) with a take-out counter - both hot & cold- prices are per pound. (Of course if it is raining there is The George & Dragon or the White Horse Tavern.:D)

Have a lovely time in Bermada whatever you decide.

Next time I will skip Hamilton and go straight to St. George's. It's only about 20 minutes more on the ferry and definitely worth it.

I agree. We just returned from Bermuda and wanted to see both St. George's and Hamilton. We enjoyed St. George's much more than Hamilton. St. George's is quaint, with interesting shops and a relaxing atmosphere; the workers in the shops are helpful. I did not have the same feeling in Hamilton. The locals in Hamilton just simply ignore the tourists...no eye contact, no smiles, no acknowledgement at all. I look forward to returning to St. George's again some day.

Thank you all for the input! We leave Sunday and we're so excited! We've decided to try out St George, as we would rather quiet and quaint. Ponchos- great idea especially with the 10 day showing showers everyday we are there!

What is wench dunking?!?

What NOT to do...We were in St Georges on Tuesday (09/30/09) and did the Olde Towne Railway Tour Train. We found this to be a complete waste of money. We only had a few hours and thought the trolley tour would be a nice way to get a nice, overall view of St Georges. The script should be totally re-written as it talked more about what streets and what stores were inside than it did the obviously rich historical information, i.e. stops at the Perfumery and never mentions a thing about the fact the building was built in the 1700 - just the perfumes they sell. One of our fellow cruisers advised their horse-and-buggy ride was phenomenal. If it rains take the bus from Hamilton and sit towards the front for the whole experience. Hopefully you will get Bob - he was a great tour guide getting there. Have fun.

Archived