First cruise...seasickness advice anyone?

nalaqueentwo

I had cruised nearly twenty times before I ever had a knock down case of seasickness. I woke up in the middle of the night with it. I couldn't even turn my head!

Hubby got me some Meclazine tablet from the clinic. There was no charge for the medication. It took nearly a day for the medicine to work. It did make me very drowsy.

Certainly the best advice is 'don't get seasick!'.

There is no misery to compare it to. I've been sick for 20 hours on a 24 hour fishing trip. At one point, I thought that ia had puked up my socks.

On a cruise ship, I've only had one close call. Leaving New Orleans with a 45 knot wind hitting us broadside. Even some crew were queasy.

Bonine did the trick and I never looked back.

SEA BANDS! No drugs, no alarm clocks, no drowsiness. I noticed several crew members had them on when the sea got bad...70 mph winds. DH didn't think much of them but when he said he might skip dinner because he was getting queasy, I dug them out and he put them on.. Half hour later I asked him how he felt... Fine! Why? No more problem. It's critical that one wears them as recommended, 3 fingers' width up from the wrist crease, that's where the accupressure point it.

The other thing we do it try to enjoy the motion of the ship, kind of like a kid, say WHEEEE!

There are suggestions on the room service menu for mal d' mar: eating a green apple is one of them.

Works very well for me if I step foot in the boat I'm easily getting sick.... for best results apply the patch at least 4 hrs before sailing... first time I applied an 1 hour and I felt bad but got better (lessen learned the hard way )

I never get sick in cars, on amusement rides, in small row boats or anywhere else. But I do on ships.

I tried everything there is over the years.

I recommend Bonine. Nothing else worked for me.

I buy it in WalMart in 16 count chewable tablets in a box.

I start taking them the day before I cruise. 1 in the morning and 1 the night before. 1 the morning I am going to board and 1 that night. Then, 1 each morning and 1 each night every single day of the cruise.

After I get off of her, I take the same dose for one day when I am flying home.

The Bonine never makes me tired. I do have a drink or two each day while on them and I have no side effects at all.

I also used to only cruise mid ship on the lower decks, now I cruise any Deck on the ship and have no problem at all.

I have never had a day of sea sickness or had the rocky feeling after getting off of a cruise since going on Bonine in 2002.

Ask your Pharmacist what he or she thinks about Bonine and your medications before you take them. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I get sea sick also and only felt a little sick on one day of my first cruise.

I tend to pick a ship that has excellent stability and take ginger pills before and during the cruise. I did have a patch for the first cruise but quickly took it off. I didn't like the feeling while on land. I also brought along Bonine.

The best advice is, don't assume you will get seasick. If you are fine on smaller boats, it should be no problem. Focus on enjoying the cruise, and you probably won't even notice the movement.

No,, its not the "best advise",, its a kick from someone who has never had the joy of vomiting while on a ship.

I never had morning sickness, does that mean it doesn't exist.???. geesh.. some people are pretty flip when its not their weakness.

I'm also a Bonine success story (without it I could never cruise). I take one the later in the day before the cruise, and then every evening thereafter. As previously mentioned, you only take Bonine once a day so no alarms to keep on schedule :). I've not had any side-effect issues and am fine with a glass or two of wine. On our Alaska cruise we had heavy swells (medical was busy that evening with falls), but I never had even a twinge of discomfort.

Wow...I am so amazed at all the success stories concerning seasickness and taking Bonine, etc. I really feel much better about my first cruise in 4 days that I can hardly sleep, but I will have bonine in hand when arriving on the first day. Thanks to everyone for their input, I greatly appreciate it.

To all those who have up coming cruises...have a happy one!

I used ginger capsules and they worked fine for me. I took one or two twice a day. Mythbusters did a show on motion sickness and found ginger to be very effective.

We booked a room that was low and mid-ship and that may have helped too. About the only time I felt a bit queasy was the first night on the cruise. The water was pretty rough that evening; we were really rocking during dinner and the first night's show.

I will be taking my first cruise at the end of October, has anyone had or are familiar with seasickness and what worked for you? The patch, over the counter meds or ginger? Any advice would be appreciated. I usually do fine on smaller boats but everyone has told me I have to get my "sea legs" so now I"m paranoid. :eek:

Thanks

The sea bands work for us..Always take along Bonine just in case. Unless the sea is extremely rough, you probably won't even notice you're moving. Enjoy your cruise....

Okay, I think I have a plan. First, I do not think I will get sea sick, the ship is HUGE and has stabilizers. I will be good.

However, since I have had BAD, I mean BAD motion sickness since I was a young child(I would get violently ill on a half hour car ride, and that was without reading) I am making a list of ALL of the recommended remedies and have set up an appointment with my doctor to get the patch.

So thank you for all of the great advice, I am packing them all.

And to ANYONE who thinks motion sickness is all in a persons head, you are cordially invited to come on a one hour car trip with me. lol.

In my experience. I have been woozy twice. Took a pill and layed down for a bit. In both cases, and in the majority that I have witnessed, it has a lot to do with peoples minds and perceptions. There are people who are afflicted with an inner ear disorder that causes the problem, however, I can almost guarantee when you start thinking about it, you will get sick. The advice that I give (no more than my opinion) is if it becomes a question, relax, If you really think about it, take a pill, relax, lay down. For many people it really is mind over matter, but, when you fear being sick? You will. No fun. Have the meds on hand if needed. If it always has been a problem. Check with the doctor before you go. If you don't have a problem in a car or a motorhome, a cruise is no problem. Harry :cool:

Wow...I am so amazed at all the success stories concerning seasickness and taking Bonine, etc. I really feel much better about my first cruise in 4 days that I can hardly sleep, but I will have bonine in hand when arriving on the first day. Thanks to everyone for their input, I greatly appreciate it.

To all those who have up coming cruises...have a happy one!

If you really want to play it safe, take your first pill the night before the cruise and then before bed each night on the cruise. As close to a guarentee of no problems as you can get.

Archived