Tsunamis & Cruise Ships

Ok so this may seem like a silly question, but I am new to cruising and will be going on my first cruise in April 2010.

I was just having a discussion with my Mum about the terrible, recent tsunami disaster and she asked "what would happen to a cruise ship in the event of a tsunami?"

It's not something I would have ever thought about but obviously Mums do lol. Does anyone have any experiences or advice about this?

I think few if any members here would be qualified to answer that question correctly.

Most comments would be pure conjecture [as is mine] but one thing is fairly sure - tsunami advices are broadcast fairly instantly from marine radio sources with times and estimates and the professional sailors would be able to put your cruise ship into the best possible attitude to handle any oncoming large waves.

Dont get carried away by the old movie "The Poseidon Adventure" - its just a story. :D

Dont worry - just look forward to your cruise and enjoy it.:)

Ok so this may seem like a silly question, but I am new to cruising and will be going on my first cruise in April 2010.

I was just having a discussion with my Mum about the terrible, recent tsunami disaster and she asked "what would happen to a cruise ship in the event of a tsunami?"

It's not something I would have ever thought about but obviously Mums do lol. Does anyone have any experiences or advice about this?

Just my thoughts as I really don't know the proper answer, if the ship was at sea I doubt that you would even know much about it, probably a swell bigger than normal, that is, if you are in the vacinity of the quake. The danger of a tsunami, which is created by an earthquake,is when the shock wave starts to come ashore, then the wave height increases as the water depth decreases. Hence the low lying shore line is where all the destruction occurs. So apart from in the movies [THE BIG STORM] I doubt you have anything to worry about. It will be interesting to read other comments on the subject.

RoyBoy :)

I guess the most dangerous place for a ship to be during a tsunami would be in port ....i am pretty sure they would be well aware of any seismic activity or warnings in the area they are in and given there was enough time and generally you would think there would be the ship would depart for a safe haven out at sea.....shiona

Unless there is a tsunami wave Anna you would feel nothing as the water is a big shock absorber.

Here in Newcastle when the earthquake hit, people on the harbour ferry got off and said "what happened"??? The water absorbed the shock.

It sure is active around the islands at the moment... I just saw there was another bit of action out around Somoa way.

Hope it quietens down a bit for our trip?

I guess the most dangerous place for a ship to be during a tsunami would be in port ....i am pretty sure they would be well aware of any seismic activity or warnings in the area they are in and given there was enough time and generally you would think there would be the ship would depart for a safe haven out at sea.....shiona

And there would still be passengers complaining about not getting a full day in port;)

It's very tragic what has happend over in Samoa this week. We were in Apia (what a beautiful place that is) and Pago Pago back in March and seeing it on the news and how different it now looks is heartbreaking.

Tsunamis have a small amplitude (wave height) offshore, and a very long wavelength (often hundreds of kilometers long), which is why they generally pass unnoticed at sea, forming only a slight swell usually about 300 millimetres (12 in) above the normal sea surface. They grow in height when they reach shallower water, in a wave shoaling process described below. A tsunami can occur in any tidal state and even at low tide can still inundate coastal areas.

Here's some interesting information about Earthquakes around the world. Thank goodness we don't see Tsunamis as much as we experience earthquakes.

http://www.iris.edu/seismon/last30days.phtml

Jillybean:)

thank you very much for that link, i dont any of would think that are so many earthquakes around the world every month. and how lucky we are in oz,:)

Just asked my dad who holds an international shipping license and he said large ships will go to sea and wait out the warning as soon as one is received.

Hope this helps.

Thats very interesting, as from what I have read on the news, folk have reported that before the tsunami struck all the water drained away and then in came the deluge.

I imagine if a ship was tied up at a wharf, and all the water disappeared, it would sit on the bottom and probably keel over and then get swamped when the wave came in.

This link is the page that precedes jillybeans link which gives an even greater indication of how many earthquakes happen over time, and how little damage actually occurs, to put it all into perspective. Very sad when one does cause tragedy though...very sad indeed.

http://www.iris.edu/seismon/

Hi Debsta pleased to see you on the P&O boards, even though I am not on your cruise (but I am cruising with some of your new buddies on 10/12 on the Diamond), I check your roll call everyday just to see what you have written, your so funny I always get a good laugh ( pretty brainy too). Anyway welcome over here, stick around :D

BIG hi to you Cheryl......we will look after Debs on the cruise...and we look forward to seeing you on the 10th... wow..that Asia roll call has a life of it's own, we are up to 156 pages!!!! LOL...

S&D

Thats very interesting, as from what I have read on the news, folk have reported that before the tsunami struck all the water drained away and then in came the deluge.

I imagine if a ship was tied up at a wharf, and all the water disappeared, it would sit on the bottom and probably keel over and then get swamped when the wave came in.

The last warning here in our area of Queensland was issued almost 48hrs before I heard it talked about on the news.I'm hoping marine warnings are ahead of the game in these situations.Yes water leaves and ships sit on the bottom thats common sense.

A ship caught in that would be a nightmare.

BIG hi to you Cheryl......we will look after Debs on the cruise...and we look forward to seeing you on the 10th... wow..that Asia roll call has a life of it's own, we are up to 156 pages!!!! LOL...

S&D

Hi Sandra, I am looking forwarding to meeting you on the 10th also. Yes I love your roll call, I go to it before my own :D . Look after Deb I"m thinking she may be a handful !! LOL You will probably need the cruise on the 10th to recover from the Asia one !!

Archived