What is the best time/ship for Mediterranean cruise

dpspa

Wanting to start planning a cruise to the Eastern Mediterranean in summer/fall 2010. Need to know people's experience as to what is best time and cruise line to take. How far in advance should I book.

Any and all info will be helpfull

Thanks

Personally, I would not want to cruise the Mediterranean during the Summer. All of my visits to this area have been in the Spring (March/April) and it was plenty warm enough for me then! (I remember being in the Vatican Museum in mid-April; no air conditioning; I don't know how one could stand what the temperature must be like in August!) I would vote for Fall--the later the better.

Wanting to start planning a cruise to the Eastern Mediterranean in summer/fall 2010. Need to know people's experience as to what is best time and cruise line to take. How far in advance should I book.

Thanks

Hello,

I would look at Azamara Cruise Lines. They have excellent prices, itineraries, outstanding ships in terms of food and service, and a good mix of passengers. if you can go in November of 2009, then there are some truly excellent prices.

DH and I sailed on NCL Jade last December in Eastern Mediterrean (12 day cruise) - it was a very nice ship - it was a great price (started out selecting an inside cabin and price kept dropping ended up with a mini suite, which BTW is just a balcony room for all intents and purposes):D. I would recommend sailing at this time as nothing was overly crowded or extremely hot - I would say it was "springlike" weather (keep in mind I live in NY). The only downside (and I'm sure people will argue this point) the food was not the greatest - however, if you want a nice ship, great price and great itinerary (Barcelona/Rome/Athens/Turkey/2 days in Egypt and Malta) this is a good way to go.

April/May Sept/Oct/Nov are the best times to go. Not too hot, not too crowded. There will be fewer to choose from in April and Nov as April is usually when the ships reposition from the Caribbean back to the Med and Nov is when they start heading back to the Caribbean. So prior to mid April or so, there will be fewer choices and after early Nov, the same. For me anyway, for this type of cruise, the the ports are more important than what line/ship I'm on so check out different line's itineraries, then choose. based on where you want to go.

Thanks

There is no such thing best ship or time. The best time is likely one that meets your schedule. The best ship is the one that sails to all the ports you desire and is in your price range.

Summer is peak season and as others noted hot and likely expect crowds. It isn't so hot that it isn't doable, but no question it more uncomfortable and crowded than spring and fall will likely be.

Ship prices/cabins vary widely depending on the length of the cruise, class of ship.

Most important is pick a cruise that hits the ports you most want to visit. The nicest line during the sweetest season won't add up to the same experience as your dream set of ports anytime.

As to how early, we booked by Feb for an August last year. Even by than certain lines/sailings already had limited availability. YMMV depending on economy and what sailings you are interested in.

Happy planning

We usually have an autumn trip in the Med- late Sept or Oct- as the fierceness of the sun has gone by then.

We were on NCL Jade this Feb- not warm until you are further south than Barcelona, but warm enough with a jacket on- except at night on deck!

Half term holiday for UK kids is exactly half way between Christmas and Easter, depending on that date, but they won't be on a longer cruise.

Half term in autumn is 3rd week in Oct, except for Scotland (earlier), but again only a week.- jocap.

Took a similar cruise the last week of September/first of October and the weather was absolutely divine! The only rain we had was in Venice after debarkation. We stayed there a couple days after the cruise and, even though it rained the entire time, we just bought umbrellas and walked everywhere in the rain.

I've sailed the Med in mid-July (this year, on the NCL Gem) and mid-October (a few years ago, on the MSC Opera). October was far better primarily because there were very few children.

I like heat, but July in Malta, Naples & Rome was beastly. For me, mid-October was a little too late, weather-wise. I'm guessing that my ideal time would be early to mid September.

As for the ships, I learned this summer that I prefer smaller ships (the Opera is slightly smaller than the Gem). I thought that freestyle dining (NCL) was very important; while I liked it, I wouldn't let that drive my cruise line choice again.

I think my ideal ship would be one small enough to go into the less frequented ports. I love Rome, Florence and Naples and go there often, I don't need to visit them via a cruise.

Archived