Le Boreal

Friscorays

The Ponant site now shows only the next two sailings with direct booking prices. The other Le Boreal and L'Austral sailings are there, but without direct booking pricing. Partial or full charters with Tauck and/or A&K again? Interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
There should be no difference in the tours (i.e. landings) in Antarctica. Last year the prices from A&K were higher than Swan Hellenic's on the Minerva but no difference in the experience!

That is correct. And Swan Hellenic would not sell to anyone in the US!

But we found an agent in Australia who gave us Swan Hellenic's prices!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm sorry to bring this thread back to life, but could anyone give me their thoughts on this cruise, I have just come across Le Boreal and I am thinking about booking for next year.

I thought it was the trip of a lifetime. The scenery, the penguins, the seals, the whales, all parts were stunning! A&K provided exceptional naturalists. Each one was an expert in their field.

Sadly, the ship left much to be desired. It was a sailing shortly after they launched so there were some major shake-out problems. There was leakage in many of the cabins, drains backed up and certain cabins got so flooded that the pax had to be moved.

Also, sadly, I thought the food was ghastly. There was no cohesion to the menu - it seemed like the chef just looked around the kitchen and said what's easy? On the other hand, the pastry and bread chef was fine. Enjoyed deserts and breads.

I am waiting to hear what the current cruisers report about Le Boreal. After our expedition they canceled the next sailing and took the back ship for modifications. :eek:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Please share your input and advice, but also please comment specifically on:

- The hotel-to-ship and ship-to-airport transfer seems pretty expensive at $21/pp and $30/pp respectively, especially considering we are a family of 4.

- Any advice on which hotel would be the best value for money considering we are getting in at 635pm on 12/20 (cruise leaves on 12/21 morning)?

Hi folks,

Please share your input and advice, but also please comment specifically on:

- The hotel-to-ship and ship-to-airport transfer seems pretty expensive at $21/pp and $30/pp respectively, especially considering we are a family of 4.

- Any advice on which hotel would be the best value for money considering we are getting in at 635pm on 12/20 (cruise leaves on 12/21 morning)?

What city? Unless you air is booked with the cruise line youa are taking a risk wrt flight delays. We were almost 24 hours delayed! Taxi in BA or Ushuaia should be cheaper than the transfer costs above. Will all your luggage fit in one taxi?

What city? Unless you air is booked with the cruise line youa are taking a risk wrt flight delays. We were almost 24 hours delayed! Taxi in BA or Ushuaia should be cheaper than the transfer costs above. Will all your luggage fit in one taxi?

Dileep, Thanks for the tip on fight delays. I will reconfirm that the flight to and from BA is by the cruise line. What are the usual causes of flight delays between BA and USH and back? Right now, we get into BA on 18th morning; fly out to USH on 20th midmorning and the cruise is on 21st morning. Return flight from USH to BA is on 5th evening and BA to the US is on 6th night. Hope this is not cutting it fine...

I think our luggage should fit in one taxi - we plan to take only backpacks plus the warm gear. Any input on the hotel and sightseeing in USH?

Thanks,

nomoss, I think my family and I are on the same trip as you (Dec 21st 2011 on L'Austral). I'm looking forward to it!

Hi Ritzy,

We are spending a couple of days in BA and getting into USH on 20th afternoon. Hope that will give us enough time to catch some sightseeing in USH. What are you doing for the transfers? My family is - me, my wife, my teenage daughter and tween son.

Dileep, Thanks for the tip on fight delays. I will reconfirm that the flight to and from BA is by the cruise line. What are the usual causes of flight delays between BA and USH and back? Right now, we get into BA on 18th morning; fly out to USH on 20th midmorning and the cruise is on 21st morning. Return flight from USH to BA is on 5th evening and BA to the US is on 6th night. Hope this is not cutting it fine...

Our problem was that our flight out of NYC was cancelled and we were rerouted through Dallas the next day. We lost our day in BA and barely made the flight from BA to USH! Ushuaia can have wind gusts and that can result in flight cancellations. If your flights are booked through the cruise line and get delayed, they will delay the departure.

I think our luggage should fit in one taxi - we plan to take only backpacks plus the warm gear. Any input on the hotel and sightseeing in USH?

We stayed in a nice B&B (Hosteria Foike) about 10 minutes away by taxi. There is a hotel close to the port; even walking distance. Check tripadvisor to see your options.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/HACSearch?geo=312855&q=Ushuaia%2C+Argentina&inDay=21&inMonth=12%2F2011&checkIn=12%2F21%2F2011&outDay=22&outMonth=12%2F2011&checkOut=12%2F22%2F2011&searchAll=false&adults=4#02,1317948682121,bc_airports:S,bc_convention_centers:S,nameContains:S,distance:S0,distanceSelect:S0,cat:-1,tb:S0

Thanks,

Aside from the usual weather related delays (at both departure and arrival port), there can be strikes or work slow-downs that impact the schedule. That's what happened to us and we were delayed several hours going fm BsAs to Ushuaia, arriving around 1:00a the next day. Luckily, it was a non-issue for us since we were flying in to Ushuaia several days before embarking the ship.

Our problem was that our flight out of NYC was cancelled and we were rerouted through Dallas the next day. We lost our day in BA and barely made the flight from BA to USH! Ushuaia can have wind gusts and that can result in flight cancellations. If your flights are booked through the cruise line and get delayed, they will delay the departure.

We stayed in a nice B&B (Hosteria Foike) about 10 minutes away by taxi. There is a hotel close to the port; even walking distance. Check tripadvisor to see your options.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/HACSearch?geo=312855&q=Ushuaia%2C+Argentina&inDay=21&inMonth=12%2F2011&checkIn=12%2F21%2F2011&outDay=22&outMonth=12%2F2011&checkOut=12%2F22%2F2011&searchAll=false&adults=4#02,1317948682121,bc_airports:S,bc_convention_centers:S,nameContains:S,distance:S0,distanceSelect:S0,cat:-1,tb:S0

Hi Dileep,

We are scheduled to leave from here on 12/17 evening to BsAs, on to USH on 12/20 mid-day. Our cruise leaves on 12/21 in the evening. Hope this will give us enough slop...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi nomoss,

We're leaving the US on 12/17, getting to BA on the 18th. We're doing the cruise line's charter flight from BA to Ushuaia on the morning of the 21st (and back on the 5th). It's expensive but allows us to spend more time in BA, which is what we wanted. As far as airport transfers/etc I guess we will do taxis, or public transit if possible.

We are myself and my husband (in our 20s) and my parents (in their 60s).

Hi nomoss,

We're leaving the US on 12/17, getting to BA on the 18th. We're doing the cruise line's charter flight from BA to Ushuaia on the morning of the 21st (and back on the 5th). It's expensive but allows us to spend more time in BA, which is what we wanted. As far as airport transfers/etc I guess we will do taxis, or public transit if possible.

We are myself and my husband (in our 20s) and my parents (in their 60s).

Hi Ritzy,

Based on Dileep's advice, we are more comfortable arriving into USH a day before the cruise; though we are tense about ensuring we don't get delayed on the way back home - my daughter would already be missing the first week of school.

BTW, did you find any easy info on stuff (gear) we need to purchase - like brand, model, type, where-to-buy, etc.?

Thanks,

Hi nomoss,

I agree with your desire to get to Ushuaia early, and we would have done the same if it weren't for the cruise line's charter flight. I hope I am correct in understanding that the boat would wait if that flight is delayed. We're fortunate to be relatively flexible on the return side.

I have not looked into gear much yet. Being from Northern climates I think we're fairly well equipped for warm clothes, but will need Wellies and waterproof pants. I think REI and/or Cabela's should be good sources for that stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi would be interested in finding out how your cruise goes - we are travelling with le ponant on 5th Jan 12 and not sure what to expect from the cruise as it is new. We will be traveling in BA Iguassi and El Calafate before arriving in Ushuaia so would like to know your experience of the flights/delays!

Have fun can't wait to be there.:p

Hi nomoss,

I agree with your desire to get to Ushuaia early, and we would have done the same if it weren't for the cruise line's charter flight. I hope I am correct in understanding that the boat would wait if that flight is delayed. We're fortunate to be relatively flexible on the return side.

I have not looked into gear much yet. Being from Northern climates I think we're fairly well equipped for warm clothes, but will need Wellies and waterproof pants. I think REI and/or Cabela's should be good sources for that stuff.

Hi Ritzy,

Do you want to send me a friend request? If you want to compare notes/figure out the checklist etc.

For instance, my travel agent tells me that we should carry some formal clothes too... Also, do you know if someone has started a "roll call" for our cruise? I looked around didn't find any.

Hi nomoss,

If you are on the cruise lines charter they will wait for you! look at what Eddie Bauer and Columbia have to offer too. Go with fleece instead of wool.

hockey27: There's no way my family will survive 2+ weeks without internet, so I'll post some updates from onboard.

nomoss: I tried to start a roll call a while back but nobody responded. I'll refresh it, and I'll send you a friend request so we can compare packing lists. I think I may need space bags for all the stuff I'm planning to pack! I think you're right about there being at least one formal night, maybe two.

If you are on the cruise lines charter they will wait for you! look at what Eddie Bauer and Columbia have to offer too. Go with fleece instead of wool.

Dileep, Unfortunately, we are not on the cruise lines' charter - so fingers crossed! I am finding most of stuff in the local sporting goods store (Dick's) and the rest in REI/EMS. We also prefer fleece (as wool must be itchy). We are yet to buy our Wellingtons. Were those provided to you special for cold weather, or were they regular rubber boots meant to wade in the rain, slush and puddles?

Thanks,

Archived