Le Boreal

Friscorays

hockey27: There's no way my family will survive 2+ weeks without internet, so I'll post some updates from onboard.

nomoss: I tried to start a roll call a while back but nobody responded. I'll refresh it, and I'll send you a friend request so we can compare packing lists. I think I may need space bags for all the stuff I'm planning to pack! I think you're right about there being at least one formal night, maybe two.

Ritzy,

Interesting comment about the internet. I am forcing my wife to stay off it and I am promising her to reciprocate! We are way too "connected".

Our shopping is making good progress - just some minor discussions on the mid-layer and the outer-layer bottoms. We are thinking about "Wellies" - we are thinking of getting the regular rubber rain-boots that come up to just below the knees. The only motivation for them is to avoid paying $280 (for the family) to ShipToShore. Any comments?

We got regular rubber rain boots/Wellies from a local outdoor store, for $25/pair. The advantage is it's cheaper than shiptoshore and you can try them on, but it's a lot of space and weight in luggage. If we're desperate for luggage space we can always wear them on the plane. They are not insulated, but you can buy fleece liners for them, or just wear extra socks.

hockey27: There's no way my family will survive 2+ weeks without internet, so I'll post some updates from onboard.

Trust me - when you are in that part of the world the last thing any of you will want to be doing is to be holed up in a cabin paying a fortune for mega slow internet.

The internet will not disappear - it will still be there when you return. Stay out side on the decks and revel in the real world right in front of you. When are any of you going to experience sights like this again ?

I survived 30 days without the net - and I really didnt start missing it till about 3 days before we finished.

• 4 months later...
We got back last month from Le Boreal and I have finally gotten our trip blog posted. We were on an all English-speaking charter and that is probably the only way I would want to go on Le Boreal. That is my only caveat.

http://antarcticaonleboreal2012.blogspot.com/

Hmmm - I wonder what happened to my first response commenting on the terrific whale encounter you had. Oh well; I finished reading your blog and want to thank you for sharing your experience. We went to the Antarctic in January 2007 and had terrific weather and a terrific time. Next time, might go later in the season for a slightly different experience.

Archived