Eden Rock or Sunset House Shore Dive?

MPM

Great feedback everyone, it is much appreciated! It looks like it will definitely be Sunset House for us. I hope everyone who will be hitting Grand Cayman before January will take the time to report back, and post some pictures. I especially appreciate some the the detailed instructions. I think it is so cool that so many people have their wives as dive buddies (and you wives who talked your husbands in to diving!). I have met several people who don't dive any more because they have a hard time finding buddies. Especially you Capt BJ - 25 years with the same buddy (and wife), I think that is awesome!

~Mike

Ditto Mike! We are also now looking at diving Sunset House and will e-mail today. Love the couples diving thing too. We should all look into doing a liveaboard together! Would be nice to go with people we have something in common besides work and family!

There, fixed it for you. ;)

Cute Bruce-r:D Any particular live aboard you would recommend as the best value for the money?

Denise&Paul - a cruise sounds like fun. January will be our fifth cruise - first was Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Jamaica, second (which my wife won playing bingo on the first cruise) was San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Lucia, Dominica, Antigua, and Barbados. Then it was a cruise to Hawaii. When we booked our forth cruise, second trip to San Juan etc, we decided to get certified first. Previously we had just been snorkeling. We had some great dives on St. Lucia, Dominica, and St Kitts. We have had a friends from Oregon (we now live in Texas) who have been our cruise buddies until this cruise coming up. They are a lot of fun to be with, but our interests are beginning to divide now with my wife and I are diving at almost every port. A cruise ship makes great transportation! I wish we could go more often, but once a year is about all we can afford - and I realize we are very blessed to be able to do that! Between cruises we stay tuned up at a local diving rock quarry, and we put in a pool this summer.

-Mike

Cute Bruce-r:D Any particular live aboard you would recommend as the best value for the money?

-Mike

Keep in mind that "best value" isn't always the least expensive.

I'd probably pick Explorer Adventures: Turks & Caicos for the Caribbean. I'd look at Aqua Cat Cruises if traveling with a non-diver.

The best diving from a liveaboard will not be in the Caribbean, IMO. It will be in the South Pacific or Indonesia. The Naia in Fiji was awesome.

Oh, this thread brings back memories! I learned to dive in Upstate NY - cold! & lousy visibility. My first dive trip was Grand Cayman, while in college. I agree about Sunset House being the better spot. But I've dove at most of the spots being discussed.

After college, when my DH proposed - I said - "Great - we can go diving for the honeymoon - take a class." We went to Bonaire - loved it.

Thru the years, he became a very avid diver. We graduated to live-aboard dive boats. Much better diving. It's been a few years, but we used to be on ones that were "Dive as much as you want - just be responsible". My DH would go thru 5 dives per day. I would join him for every other one - my ears couldn't take as many as his. I just love the atmosphere of the live-aboards. Small, casual, friendly. My favorite was the Sea of Cortez - swam with the giant rays, as well as with a school of hammerhead sharks.

Unfortunately, we really minimized diving when we started a family. (No more freedom to travel, and no more money:mad:)

We hope to start again sometime soon.

Kathy

Bruce-r, as always great advice - thanks. I hope to be able to take it one day.

Colorado Kat, we did it just the opposite of you guys. We had kids early, and no money. Now at 50, the kids are gone and we have some spare change to do a little diving now and then. I hope you guys get a chance to get back to it soon. Raising kids is both fun and challenging, but you don't want to lose yourselves in the process - one day it will be just the two of you again:)

Bruce r - lol, loved the liveaboard thoughts, but it's not just the expense. We like to see various places. Like Mike, we had our kids early and were poor:eek: and now finally get to live a little, and have so much to see! I love the loads of activities on cruise ships and the many different people you meet. I would enjoy the opportunity at some point most definitely of diving numerous times from a liveaboard in one area, but for now, I have so many years of non-vacations to make up for and so many places I want to see! So much to see and so little time!

Kathy, I have no doubt that things will slow down for you again, and you'll get back out! Seems like forever, but once the kids reach 12, you can get them out too!

We like to vacation in January-February every year in the Caribbean. Anybody else interested, let's take a look at next year's and see if our thought mesh!

Denise&Paul,

We are going on our first "January" cruise in a coupe of months, aboard the Carnival Legend. We generally cruise in May, after tax time:) It will be great to leave the cold weather for a brief time! It is supposed to be 77 degrees here tomorrow though, my wife and I may hit the pool for some practice!

-Mike

Sorry to get back on topic here! Liveaboards are awesome!

Is there anywhere at Sunset House to store your valuables? Lockers or anything? I guess we could always keep our ship cards/cash in our BC if necessary but just wondering.

We are getting close--we will be in Cayman on Thanksgiving on Liberty of the Seas! Anyone have any idea of the current water temps?

Thanks.

I understand that most people dive here.

yes they do as the resort is a dedicated diver resort, however many divers will also snorkel and the profile is similar to the Eden Rock area while the sea pool makes Sunset even better for beginners

Is there anywhere at Sunset House to store your valuables? Lockers or anything? I guess we could always keep our ship cards/cash in our BC if necessary but just wondering.

Resort guests are provided lockers for use at no charge. In my experience there were lockers available for day use for a nominal charge

http://sunsethouse.com/dive_lockers.php

but yes card and cash are waterproof and I've left my clothes and gear bag on the sea wall with never a problem while keeping cash and card on me.

• 3 weeks later...
We are going to dive the house reef at Sunset in 2 weeks. I will let you know how it was.

Scubacruiser - I thought I would check in and see how your dive at sunset house went. Any tips?

-Mike

Scubacruiser's review is above. We were there on Thanksgiving Day (Liberty of the Seas) and I would totally agree with everything that he says. Great, very easy diving.

Quick easy taxi from the ship.

We did 2 dives and never saw another diver in the water the entire time! If you have a long shore day, or if you can get off the ship first thing, I am sure you could easily squeeze in 3 dives. We went out to the wall our first dive because my son wanted to hit his first 100' dive. Our second dive we only went to about 50' but most of it was shallower and it was very nice. The coral doesn’t start too far from shore so you can easily stay entertained doing a dive no more than 40 feet.

My son spent some of his surface interval in the hotel’s pool and no one seemed to mind.

The man in the dive shop called a taxi when we were finished and it was literally there within 5 minutes.

I would definitely recommend it! It was a very nice, relaxing day of diving!

Denise&Paul,

We are going on our first "January" cruise in a coupe of months, aboard the Carnival Legend. We generally cruise in May, after tax time:) It will be great to leave the cold weather for a brief time! It is supposed to be 77 degrees here tomorrow though, my wife and I may hit the pool for some practice!

-Mike

What date? We are onboard Legend on the 3rd.

KJHorton, thanks for the input...we are beginning to get really excited! What did you all wear for wet suits? We own 3 mil shorties, and 5 mil full suites. Did you dive any other locations? If so, who with, and what did you think of the diving and the dive operation? Also, I may just be being lame, but I wasn't able to find Scubacruisers review. Can you help a brother out :rolleyes:

rednose83 - We will be on board the Legend on January 17th. What have you guys got planned for shore excursions? You may get back just in time to give us some great tips!

~Mike

Sure, Scubacruiser's review is post #24 on this thread.

The water temperature in Cayman was 82. My son wore no wetsuit and was fine. DH and I wore 3 ml shorties and my husband was very comfortable. I got a little chilly at the end of the second dive, but I am a serious wimp when it comes to getting cold. I would have been fine if I put on my hooded vest with my shortie. I really don't think you would need a 5ml suit, but it depends how easily you get cold.

We were supposed to dive with Alison in Cozumel but the seas were incredibly rough. There was a small craft advisory, the marinas were closed, so no water activities that day. That was the biggest disappointment of our trip. I was really looking forward to Scuba with Alison. I've heard so many good things about her.

Thanks KJ! We have reservations to dive with Scuba with Alison as well. Hopefully we will have good Weather. Did you also go to Belize and Roatan? I found Scubecruisers post, I had read it before - I don't know what I was thinking:)

~Mike Menke

KJHorton, thanks for the input...we are beginning to get really excited! What did you all wear for wet suits? We own 3 mil shorties, and 5 mil full suites. Did you dive any other locations? If so, who with, and what did you think of the diving and the dive operation? Also, I may just be being lame, but I wasn't able to find Scubacruisers review. Can you help a brother out :rolleyes:

rednose83 - We will be on board the Legend on January 17th. What have you guys got planned for shore excursions? You may get back just in time to give us some great tips!

~Mike

Scuba with Alison in Cozumel, ATV in Belize, Scuba with the ship in Roatan, Stingrays in GC.

Are you diving at all ports?

KJHorton, thanks for the input...we are beginning to get really excited! What did you all wear for wet suits? We own 3 mil shorties, and 5 mil full suites. Did you dive any other locations?

~Mike

Just saw this. Alison said we'd be most comfortable in a 3mil full for our Jan dive so that's what we are bringing.

Rednose,

We are diving all four ports. We will be doing a shore dive in Grand Cayman at Sunset House, Scuba with Alison in Cozumel, Ship dive in Belize, and Ship dive (Anthony's Key) in Roatan. I had considered flying to Ambergis Key in Belize, but I am not quite that gutsy yet, and haven't heard anything that has convinced me the diving is tremendously better. We wanted to check out Anthony's Key on Roatan anyway as a future shore vacation. We had even considered the dolphin dive, but it was pricey!

Presently we don't own a three mil full suit, just a shorty and a five mil full suit. We might start out with the shorty and graduate to the five mil if we get cold.

-Mike

Presently we don't own a three mil full suit, just a shorty and a five mil full suit. We might start out with the shorty and graduate to the five mil if we get cold.

-Mike

Sounds like a plan! Is the water in Texas really that cold that you'd need a 5 mil?

I guess I just assumed it would be similar to our water temps.

I get the most use out of my 3 mil full suit. I also have a shorty but have only worn it twice. I have a 5mil full but it has remained in the closet. In fact, the only reason I own it is because I picked it up on the cheap. :D

When we did our open water class, the water was 78 deg F. here in Texas, too cool for me in a 3 mil shorty. Our advanced open water class was 65 deg F. - definitely too cold! The local scuba park at a rock quarry will see the low 80's in the summer time, but that is only for a few months. Thus far though, all of our diving in the Caribbean has been in our 3 mil shorties:D

Archived