Ships we've sailed that no longer exist.

mek

TSS The Topaz for me. God I loved her so much, we went on her 7 times in 1 year. The day we heard she was leaving the thomson fleet i was inconsolable. I still cant bring myself to look at her being broken up in Alang.

Carnival "Festivale" - Scrapped

Costa "Daphne" - Where is she now?

Celebrity "Zenith" - Sailing for Pullmantur Cruises

NCL "Norway" - Scrapped

Dolphin "OceanBreeze" - Scrapped

Here's the Daphne sailing the Costa colors:

DaphneDanae04Costa.jpg

According to Simplon, in 1990 Daphne and her sister Danae were transferred to Prestige which was a joint venture between Costa and Sovcomflot. In 1996, Daphne was sold to a Swiss company who renamed her "Switzerland"... here's a photo when she was owned by Prestige:

DaphneDanae08CW.jpg

Here's a link to Simplon:

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/CostaPCs2.html#anchor304362

Norway (scrapped)

Starward (now Bolero)

Bermuda Star - Bermuda Star Line (?)

Seaward (?)

Monarch of the Seas (sailing out of Florida)

Inspiration (sailing out of Tampa, FL)

Although I enjoyed all of my cruises, I really loved the Norway. Her interiors were so elegant.

From Simplon website:

Seaward was built by Wartsila in 1988 (42276 gross tons, 216metres in length and 1798 maximum passengers). Seaward was renamed Norwegian Sea in 1997. In 2005 she was transferred to the Star Cruises fleet as SuperStar Libra (2).

Here, as the Seaward:

NorwegianSea03.jpg

And, here as the Norwegian Sea:

Oversized NCL card as renamed Norwegian Sea.NorwegianSea04.jpgAnd here as the SuperStar Libra: SuperStarLibra_ex-NCL_PC-01.jpg

Bermuda Star:

Bermuda_Star-02.jpg

This ship has a long and interesting history...here's the link:

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Argentina_1958.html

I have not seen it mentioned yet, but I do not believe the Amerikanis, which was my first cruise in 1975, is still around. I have a couple of others, but they wpuld be repeats.

Chandris Amerikanis:

ChanAmerikanis01.jpg

She was chartered to Costa about 1980.

I loved this little ship.. Did several to Bermuda on her....small but lively.

Here's my nomination, the SS Cristobal of the Panama Line. Built in 1939 and served as a transport for over 4 years in WWII. Returned to the Panama Line and remained in service until 1981. There were two other sister ships, the Ancon and the Panama sailing from to New York- Port-au-Prince to Cristobal. The fleet was trimmed down to one ship, the Cristobal and she then sailed out of New Orleans to Cristobal. Originally designed to carry about 220 passengers, in the early 70s was converted to cargo only and 12 passengers. I took this pic of her as she sailed from Cristobal to New Orleans for the last time. She was scrapped in Texas. The last time I sailed on her was in July 1981.

2cxf22x.jpg

Our first cruise together (our honeymoon) January 1995 out of San Juan to the Panama Canal on Celebrity's maiden ship Meridian.

I believe the Meridian sank while suffering a major engine fire while cruising for an Asian line in the late 1990's.

Great thread...........

My wife and I sailed on the Meridian out of San Juan, also. Our cruise was called the Ultimate Caribbean and went to 9 Ports of Call on a 10 day cruise.

Although not technically a Cruise Ship, I also sailed on BC Ferries 'Queen of the North'. It was built as an overnight ferry and had cabins. It also sank, south of Prince Rupert, British Columbia, in 2006.

The Amerikanis was my second cruise in 96. Last i heard she had been broken up so you are right.

Yeah, sad really.

Here's a blurb from a sea "history" website:

Scrapped

In 1996 she was laid up in Greece which is where she sat while decisions were made about her future. Nothing materialized and she was sold for scrap in either 2000 or 2001. Sometime in 2001 the Amerikanis made her way to the Alang, India breakers.

Yeah' date=' sad really.

Here's a blurb from a sea "history" website:

Scrapped

In 1996 she was laid up in Greece which is where she sat while decisions were made about her future. Nothing materialized and she was sold for scrap in either 2000 or 2001. Sometime in 2001 the Amerikanis made her way to the Alang, India breakers.

this is why i'm glad the Seabreeze sank . Somehow the shipbreakers are somehow murdering a ship in my eyes.

• 2 weeks later...
this is why i'm glad the Seabreeze sank . Somehow the shipbreakers are somehow murdering a ship in my eyes.

Maybe it is because we refer to a ship as a "she" and not as an "it," sinking is a more natural "death." ;)

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl

From: http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Galileo/Meridian 1963: Entered service as Galileo Galilei for Lloyd Triestino on their Italy-Australia service.

1979: Re-entered service for Italia Crociere after conversion to fulltime cruise ship.

1983: Sold to Chandris, re-entering service on Caribbean cruising as Galileo in 1984.

1988: After further rebuilding, renamed Meridian as a member of Chandris' new upmarket Celebrity Cruises.

1997: Sold to Sun Cruises (Singapore) and renamed Sun Vista.

20th May 1999: Sun Vista, ex-Galileo Galilei sunk off the Malaysian coast following an engine room fire. No fatalities reported.

Follow this link to see the earlier Lloyd Triestino and Italia career of Galileo Galilei.

An official Chandris Fantasy Cruises card of Galileo, printed in USA.ChanGalileo01.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Norway (scrapped)

Starward (now Bolero)

Bermuda Star - Bermuda Star Line (?)

Seaward (?)

Monarch of the Seas (sailing out of Florida)

Inspiration (sailing out of Tampa, FL)

Although I enjoyed all of my cruises, I really loved the Norway. Her interiors were so elegant.

Norwaylin, I agree that the Norway was my best loved Steamship and feel fortunate that we were able to sail her 3 times.

Nancy

Out of our 37 cruises (so far) several ships are no longer in existance, some are still sailing under different ownership and/or names.

SS Norway 1st(1989) 3rd(1991) and 23rd(2002) cruises-scrapped

Skyward 2nd cruise(1990) now named Leisure World

S/V Polynesia 5th cruise(1993) now renamed original name Argus owned by Portugal

Tropicale 6th cruise(1994) now named Ocean Dream

S/V Mandalay 8th(1995) 17th(1999) 27th(2005) and 30th(2007- 2 months before

Windjammer abandoned her), purchased by Angermeyer Cruises to sail the

Galapagos Islands in 2010

Norwegian Sun 9th cruise (1995)

Jubilee 10th cruise (1996) now the Pacific Sun

S/V Flying Cloud 11th cruise (1996) sank in Trinidad shipyard

SS Rembrandt (previously SS Rotterdam) 15th cruise(1998) purchased by City of

Rotterdam renamed Rotterdam

S/V Fantome 16th cruise(1998) we disembarked 10 days before she sank off Hondouras

during Hurricane Mitch

Norwegian Wind 19th cruise(2001) now the Superstar Aquarius

SS Independence 22nd cruise(2001) one month before American Hawaiian Line went out

of business now being scrapped

S/V Legacy 29th cruise(2006) abandoned by Windjammer Barefoot Cruises off Costa Rica

Thankfull for all of the memories and photos of these ships.

Nancy

We were in port in the Caribbean (St. Maarten, I believe) in January of this year. Next to us was a very very familiar ship, named the "Pullmantur Dream". We were on the top deck of the Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas, so of course we could see very well onto this small ship, which was dwarfed by the Freedom. My husband and I wracked our brains because we knew we'd sailed on that ship. I recognized the pool and he recognized some of the decorative structure on the top deck. We knew it had been a Celebrity ship because you could see the "X" on the funnel, even though it had been painted over. After doing some research, I discovered it was the Celebrity Horizon, which we sailed out of Norfolk to Bermuda about 6 years ago. Everyone was having a very good time on the Dream with a great calypso band playing during the sailaway. It sure looked smaller than we remembered!

Our 1st cruise was on the Festivale....she was a lovely ship. Not like the mega ships now-a-days, but beautiful just the same. Does anyone know when she was "scrapped"?:confused:

We bought a Christmas ornament with the Festivale name on it while we were cruising on her. Guess one day it will be worth a mint. It is to us...cause that 1st cruise had such wonderful memories attached to it.

Edited by monakayk

Regal Empress, I am sure scrapped by now. it was considered a "TUB" and most travel agencys would NOT book it. It had a certian charm about her thoue. I sailed on her twice. Once Up north the other to the Islands. you could walk around the entire ship bow to stearn in about 10 to 15 minutes. try that on the ships of today lol Bill M:)

My first cruise was on the Azure Seas, RIP.

Re Viking Serenade/Stardancer - she went to Island Cruises as "Island Escape." She is still sailing under that name, but now with Thomson.

Here's full information: http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/RCI_VikingSerenadePCs.html

http://www.thomson.co.uk/cruise/ships/island-escape-photos.html

Me, my friends and family have all sailed on Viking Serenade out of L.A. One of my friends even married one of the waiters many years ago and are still together. I'm very glad it's still in service.

Edited by marcmarc2

My first cruise in 1993 was on the Nordic Empress which RCCL eventually re-named Empess of the Seas. She was an absolute gem and I'm sorry that RCCL got rid of her for the gargantuan ships they now favor. I sailed on her 4 times before they re-named her and still cherish my fleece pullover and memories of her. I celebrated the turn of the Millenium on Nordic Empress and it was the trip of a lifetime.