Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

Wow, when I was having so much fun this retirement age came way to fast! I hated my first career - teaching so I left it after six months and never looked back. I spent 31 years with a great employer and earned a modest pension and then another 11 years with three other wonderful teams and over those four decades the two of us built up enough home equity and IRA's to have retired seven years ago, but why when we both love our careers and our current life. We cruise at least once a year, we can afford to go out a lot, and we can spend a sizable amount on our hobbies so why put the binders on all this. But sadly the human body doesn’t stay as young as our minds and sooner or later it will fail us so I am counting down to March 1, 2011. I haven’t told my current company to start looking, but I must in a couple months. For another year or two I will be a kept man as I wrap up my latest passionate hobby and then the two of us will become fulltime gypsies traveling the roads in our RV. Last night four friends came over to look at my “stuff”, they all retired a couple years ago and look and act OLD, they were amazed that I was older than all of them by 4-5 years. I think that’s because I have enjoyed it all to the max and by working I have kept busy and not let the clock wind down. To each their own, but I am now counting – reluctantly.

Edited by barnstormer

Once I go in June, it will be followed by a few months off and some travel. Then it will be some sort of flexible part time position plus auditing a few university courses, and some volunteer work. We have some extended trips in mind that were not possible in the full time work environment.

Anyone close to retirement?

When do you start counting the days?

I once worked with a young squirt at his first job after graduating from college, and on his first day at work he said, "Only 15695 days to go!":)

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone close to retirement? :)

When do you start counting the days?

I've been retired just over a year now. I'm 55 and have no intention of going back to work of any kind. My partner has also retired and we are working through our "must do, but never had the time to" lists. After over 37 years with the same company, I found that voluntary redundancies were needed, applied immediately and was gone within 3 weeks. Really miss my former colleagues, but not the job. We had our first ever cruise on the Queen Victoria (4 days) in December and now have 18 days on Aurora coming up soon. It's not all cruising though, even a visit to Cadbury World was on our list, to see the Northen Lights is another.

Unless you are workaholics, you will all enjoy retirement - but it takes a month or two to get used to the different time zone.

I took an early retirement "incentive" late last year, 18-24 mos. before I planned to leave.. DH will retire October this year..he is counting seconds I think.. I volunteer, hang out here at CC, scrapbook, teach photography and actually take an exercise class twice a week.

We don't have a huge travel budget but are looking forward to taking all the last minute deals since we can drive to FL and save money last minute or to a transatlantic. We don't care about stateroom size, location etc. DH is never off weekends and has a hard time getting any time off with less than 6 months notice so....

::: thinking he has 600 less seconds now than when I started reading this thread:::)

I have the age (55) and years (30+) and can retire at any time - I love my job!, great boss, and at present the economy sucks - so why would I want to give up a good job that pays well and I get 6 wks of leave a year - don't get me wrong I want to retire but I'm looking at the whole picture - in other words, I'll know when the time's right to put in the paperwork - we have to do the paper work at least 120 days from the day we want to retire.

You are obviously a federal employee! We are the only people who have "leave" not vacation! I have 11 years but only plan to do 15. December 31, 2014 will end my federal career. My husband retired last year. Like you, I love my job and make a very decent salary. Unlike you, I will not get to enjoy 6 weeks leave. That's okay, my everyday will be leave day!

I am semi retired, still working for insurance until I reach 65. I got rid of the second job. When I made the decision to retire I decided to celebrate with a cruise. So I set about looking for a good deal on a cruise. When I found what I wanted I called the agency in the Orlando area. I talked to the agent and made my deposit. The ship is Carnival Liberty. I have already sailed this ship so I knew what I was looking for. A few weeks later my phone rang. It was the agent that booked my cruise. Imagine my surprise when she offered me a job!!! She was opening her own agency and loved my enthusiasm for cruising. I had done outside sales before I moved to Florida. So now I work at home doing a really fun part time job.

Laura

I worked for the City of Toronto for 30 years, then got outta Dodge at the instant I was eligible.

My countdown started 3 years.....yes..... 3 years before my official date.

I had a 36 month page hung on my wall at work. I ticked off the day, drew a line through the week and then x'd out the month. People just laughed at me at first. but the time went in very quickly and they soon stopped laughing. Some of them have began their own countdown :)

That was more than 3 yrs ago. I am the treasurer of my Lion's Club and I volunteer at an old age home.

I don't know how I fit 8 hours work into my day.

Edited by retiredkid

My last day of work at present job will be June 11th.

I had been counting days for 2 years, and I thought it would never get here.

When it came time to initiate the retirement process, I actually felt fearful about the unknown and wondered whether I should stay longer for security or maybe because it was what I was used to.

But I overcame the fear, and made the decision to retire,

and I feel so relieved.

It isn't just the freedom of time but also the freedom of mind and soul.

I don't know if I will be able to stay retired as I may need to get another job in the future but it will be a new adventure :)

I have 3 work days left! Friday May 28, 2010 will be my last day. My wife retired about 3 years ago and now it is my turn. I gave the company notice on March 31st, I didn't want to hand in my notice on April 1st because I was afraid my boss wouldn't believe me. :)

I think the best thing will be not having the Sunday night blues. Think about it...Sunday night was dreaded because of school when you were younger and work the next day when you were older. Not anymore!

Off on a cruise on June 5th to celebrate.

Wow, I wish that was me!!! And a cruise to celebrate!!

Hope you enjoy retirement and the cruise.

Where are you going?

Thank you! We are going from NYC to various ports in the Caribbean. We had an Italy vacation scheduled last April but that was cancelled by the volcanic ash. No planes this time. 2 more days! :)

I have 3 work days left! Friday May 28, 2010 will be my last day. :)

I think the best thing will be not having the Sunday night blues. Think about it...Sunday night was dreaded because of school when you were younger and work the next day when you were older. Not anymore!

Off on a cruise on June 5th to celebrate.

We postponed our "retirement cruise" until DH retires in October... so do you feel a "sense of loss" this a.m. ? Everyone told me I would.. last day of work was Dec. 30 and I'm still waiting for it:confused::D

We postponed our "retirement cruise" until DH retires in October... so do you feel a "sense of loss" this a.m. ? Everyone told me I would.. last day of work was Dec. 30 and I'm still waiting for it:confused::D

Well I made it through my first day "off" the job. It was difficult but I made it!;) Hope it gets easier tomorrow. LOL

retirement came as surprise to me..first a torn right rotator cuff..

cool, a 10mos vacation with accumalate sick leave and workmans comp.

1 month after returning i tore my left cuff :confused:..another yr. off..this would have been my 5 major surgery to repair injuries on the job..so after a few conversation s with the SS office, i was able to qualify for benefits at 58..that was 4 yrs ago..along with 2 pensions im able to cruise pretty

freely..but, it s the wife that holds me back since she s not retiring for another 5 yrs..:(

I never thought I'd be retired now,..maybe in 2 years or so. I would have serious problem going to my job with hubby home for 5 years.. turning green and all that. As it is have no idea how it will work with my busy schedule when he retires in October:confused::eek:

Glad you made it thru day 1, "miller"!

Edited by Host Caroline

• 2 weeks later...

Retired but not by choice, but my DH and I were laid of within a few months of each other last year. We were both 61. Had planned on working a few more years because of stock investments going to the toilet and nursing home expenses for a mother. So, now we don't travel as much as we previously did, but we have each other and that is what counts the most, iife is good.

Retired but not by choice, but my DH and I were laid of within a few months of each other last year. We were both 61. Had planned on working a few more years because of stock investments going to the toilet and nursing home expenses for a mother. So, now we don't travel as much as we previously did, but we have each other and that is what counts the most, iife is good.

Right, you could not say it better.

To be happy together, that's the most important.

Edited by swalm22