Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

8 more hump days left. I had an hour and half commute today due to traffic. The only thing that kept me sane was thinking January and I am done!

Way cool, you'll be out the door before us. Way to go!!

We're heading near your way this Friday for a week, first Newport, then Bandon. Looks like rain most of the week, but still better than a good day at work:cool:

Happy hump day to all. Today is Day 20 of our Adventure. We get home in six more. What have we seen?

a3b7fb322322e14facda45615a67e957.jpg433dec5999c92a4cf36207b280c19b0e.jpg39a4eb94a8cf6d425541bc7607fd0811.jpgd217b129e69aeb9a922d947c4538e81f.jpg

Just keep on going. It will pass soon I haven't read email in three weeks!

Cheers to all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by internetwhiz

Hmmm. I first thought no but I'm really missing my grandgirls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awe...I definitely understand that. Field Trip was a success! Now I plan to do nothing all weekend long to get some energy for next week. I could use sick days but trying to save them for January so I can "Get the heck out of Dodge!!!" AKA Retire ASAP!!!:D:D:):)

Deb

As I said earlier, I have not retired as yet, but I am getting SS and do have Medicare, part A & B. I don't think, once I retire, my company will be paying for any of the insurance, if I should keep it.

Just curious...I thought you had to be retired or only making a small amount of money to collect SS?? Anyone know for sure??

Once you hit retirement age (66 for most of the people on this line), you can collect SS and continue to work. At this age there is no limit as to the amount of money you can earn. You are limited to amount you can earn if you retire early (62-65). One of the teachers at my school is has been collecting SS for the past year. She turned 67 recently and plans to work for a few more years. By the way, her mother lived to be 102.

Once you hit retirement age (66 for most of the people on this line), you can collect SS and continue to work. At this age there is no limit as to the amount of money you can earn. You are limited to amount you can earn if you retire early (62-65). One of the teachers at my school is has been collecting SS for the past year. She turned 67 recently and plans to work for a few more years. By the way, her mother lived to be 102.

Ok...that makes sense. Thank you Shirley. I was a bit confused on that one. Well my countdown is in the 30's....like 39 days..lol!

Deb

THE ABOVE IS INCORRECT !!!!!!!!!

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3739/What-happens-if-I-work-and-get-Social-Security-retirement-benefits

Please read the above link & check with SS office.

Please people do your own research and DON'T rely on what you read here, including me!

From age 62 to 66 they reduce SS $1. for every $2. you earn over the set amount.

From age 66 to 70 they reduce SS $1. for every $3. you earn over the set amount.

After age 70 you can earn unlimited amount without SS reducing what you receive.

THE ABOVE IS INCORRECT !!!!!!!!!

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3739/What-happens-if-I-work-and-get-Social-Security-retirement-benefits

Please read the above link & check with SS office.

Please people do your own research and DON'T rely on what you read here, including me!

From age 62 to 66 they reduce SS $1. for every $2. you earn over the set amount.

From age 66 to 70 they reduce SS $1. for every $3. you earn over the set amount.

After age 70 you can earn unlimited amount without SS reducing what you receive.

Ok...thank you for this info. Now I understand.

Deb

I am quoting from the link that was posted.

Starting with the month you reach full retirement age, you can get your benefits with no limit on your earnings.

If you look at the SS booklet that I got from SS on p. 6, they have a chart to determine what is full retirement age. If you were born between 1943-1954 (which is most people on this site), full retirement age is 66. It goes up with each year after 1954. 1960 is age 67. My children have to probably work to age 70.

On p. 13 of the SS booklet it says "In the year you reach your full retirement age , you benefits will be reduce $1 for every $3 you earn over an annual limit until the month you reach full retirement age. Once you reach full retirement age, you can keep working and your SS benefit will no be reduced no matter how much you earn."

I am quoting from the link that was posted.

Starting with the month you reach full retirement age, you can get your benefits with no limit on your earnings.

If you look at the SS booklet that I got from SS on p. 6, they have a chart to determine what is full retirement age. If you were born between 1943-1954 (which is most people on this site), full retirement age is 66. It goes up with each year after 1954. 1960 is age 67. My children have to probably work to age 70.

On p. 13 of the SS booklet it says "In the year you reach your full retirement age , you benefits will be reduce $1 for every $3 you earn over an annual limit until the month you reach full retirement age. Once you reach full retirement age, you can keep working and your SS benefit will no be reduced no matter how much you earn."

So when you turn 66 you can still work and collect your SS? That would work great for my husband who says he will never retire!

Deb

Yes, the full retirement age is dependent on the year you were born. I have been reading everything about retirement from SS to figure out when I will retire. If I go three more years (after this school year) I will turn 66 in Feb. of that year. I can start collecting SS which I plan to do and still work. I am thinking about one more year after that (67) so that I can put some money in the bank. But let see what life brings.

I also found out that I can collect my pension from the school system and still work for them but it has to be 20 hours or less. I just want to keep my options open because life can change in a moment.

I can't keep my health insurance from my job. When I quit it is gone, so we will have to get gap insurance.

Decisions about retiring are just as important as choosing your career.

Awe...I definitely understand that. Field Trip was a success! Now I plan to do nothing all weekend long to get some energy for next week. I could use sick days but trying to save them for January so I can "Get the heck out of Dodge!!!" AKA Retire ASAP!!!:D:D:):)

Deb

Nice on the field trip. I always said that a field trip was successful as long as I came home with the same number of students I left with in the morning! You know what I am finding is now very nice -- Sunday nights!! No thinking about what meetings are coming up for the week, which lessons I have to prepare or what student issues with which to deal over the next 5 days. Heaven!

Edited by Lady Hudson

Nice on the field trip. I always said that a field trip was successful as long as I came home with the same number of students I left with in the morning! You know what I am finding is now very nice -- Sunday nights!! No thinking about what meetings are coming up for the week, which lessons I have to prepare or what student issues with which to deal over the next 5 days. Heaven!

That's what I was thinking about the field trip...didn't lose any and no one hurt. Can't wait for those Sunday nights.

HAPPY HUMPITY HUMP DAY TO ALL!! WHOOT WHOOT...37 DAYS LEFT!!!♡♡♡♡

Deb

A close friend who wanted to work "forever" retired shortly before I did but she was 7 months over 70. To her surprise she received a check from SS for her months after age 70. She didnt realize she was entitles to it, and didnt apply for it. Sometime SS surprises are positive!

A friend of mine retired from the Military after 22 years, so he is getting a military retirement. He then retired again from civil service, so now he gets 2 retirement when he was 62. But if he went back to work before age 66, he would end up paying out half of his paycheck. After age 66 he will take home about 2/3 of his paycheck, but if he work part time and make less than $20,000.00 a year part time, he take home more than he would if it was full time.

I am only posting about what I KNOW for a fact, and not what I THINK I know.

A friend of mine retired from the Military after 22 years, so he is getting a military retirement. He then retired again from civil service, so now he gets 2 retirement when he was 62. But if he went back to work before age 66, he would end up paying out half of his paycheck. After age 66 he will take home about 2/3 of his paycheck, but if he work part time and make less than $20,000.00 a year part time, he take home more than he would if it was full time.

I am only posting about what I KNOW for a fact, and not what I THINK I know.

one of the nice things about this thread is that someone may have an experience others have not encountered. It gives each of us the opportunity to explore a benefit that we may not have known about.

thanks for your post

As for drawing SS and working at the same time, I have never had a problem in receiving my SS for several years. I don't make top dollar, but then I don't make the lowest wages either. I do work for a large corporation, and have been working for them for 16 years. I had heard that you could only make so much, and I had talked to my SS office, and they said I could draw all of mine and still work full time.:)

As for drawing SS and working at the same time, I have never had a problem in receiving my SS for several years. I don't make top dollar, but then I don't make the lowest wages either. I do work for a large corporation, and have been working for them for 16 years. I had heard that you could only make so much, and I had talked to my SS office, and they said I could draw all of mine and still work full time.:)

Could I ask how old you were when you started getting SS?