Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

• 10 months later...
9 hours ago, Traveling Mike said:

I just set my date of November 1, 2023 last month and am counting my days now.  I am starting with 24 months until retirement.  Sounds closer at 24 months.

Hi Mike!

It's good to have a goal and a goal-post! May I suggest you lay out some plans with steps along the next two years or should I say 24 months. Will you move when you retire? requiring a full-house purge? you cannot start too soon to work on that sort of change -- ask me how I know!

Do as I say, not as I did!

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

Hi Mike!

It's good to have a goal and a goal-post! May I suggest you lay out some plans with steps along the next two years or should I say 24 months. Will you move when you retire? requiring a full-house purge? you cannot start too soon to work on that sort of change -- ask me how I know!

Do as I say, not as I did!

Something like this?

Get Solar to not have electric bills:  Done 3 years ago

Move son into master bedroom:  Done 2 years ago

Get son paying bills with my money:  Done last year

Purchase leased car:  6 months ago

Get son graduated from college:  Done this week

Get son a full time teaching job:  starting January 1, 2022

Get son paying his car and insurance:  starting Feb 1, 2022

Turn all house over to son (Except my bedroom):  November 1, 2022

Go see the world with a bedroom to return to  November 1, 2023

*** as long as my son keeps me a bedroom he has a free house.  If he does not want dad living in his house the house returns to dad.  I will have 0 bills and 0 responsibilities as long as my son hold up his end of the deal.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I am back,

Well, I worked the 2020-2021 school year as the part time librarian but I had to bring the books to the students.  Things went well.  This year, we were able to use the library which I had to make changes for Covid ( more space between the seats).  The school year was going well but we had a few cases in the lower grades  just as the vaccine was becoming available for 5-11 year olds. My husband and I have a cruise booked out of Baltimore on Dec. 23.  Hope all goes well.  We also have one book in Feb. for my 70th birthday.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2021 at 2:59 AM, tomworldwidewaftage said:

Our 9 years as Nomads anniversary, our new itinerary for the next 22 months.

https://worldwidewaftage.com/our-9-year-travel-anniversary-our-new-itinerary/

I came across your posts and read many of them with intrigue. Congratulations for doing what so many only dream about. Stay Healthy & Safe. Wishing you many more years of GREAT travel experiences.

John

• Like 1

Browsing through CC I came across this thread and read many of the postings and decided to offer my 2 cents. When my DW and I retired in 2009/2010 we sought LOTS of advice from those we knew had already done it. Reading some of the postings here from folks, I've seen those who say they are "bored" sometimes. Well, this in some ways can result from decisions that are made. In retirement you can choose to "live" or "exist" my DW and I chose to LIVE!!! Here's what I mean....my parents were born, raised, lived, worked and died within a 5-mile radius. I decide early on that was NOT going to be my life. My DW and I both grew up in the northeast which IMHO has virtually no redeeming qualities. I never realized just how terrible a quality of life it was in the northeast until I got away from it and looked back. The term "Rat Race" is absolutely accurate for those living in the northern states. The weather in the northern states is awful 8-9 months of the year, it is extremely expensive to live there compared to other regions of the country and lastly, the people in the northeast are not the most "user-friendly." People in the northeast seem to be mad all the time and YES, I was one of them!!!! When we got away from living there, we looked back, and I think that the pressure of living in the northeast caused constant tension. The bad weather for most of the year, the expense, taxes, traffic, etc., etc., all caused a society caught up in and living in the "Rat Race." After retirement my DW and I decided to seek "greener pastures." For many years when they were alive my DW parents had a home in Estero, FL which is in the Ft. Myers area. My DW was somewhat familiar with the area from visiting her parents. For me I knew almost nothing about FL. Yes, I had been to Disney World and a couple of other vacations there over the years but that was all. But FL had some immediate appeal. The weather can't be beat particularly in the winter. Now some complain that it's "hot" in the summer. Yes, FL is hot in the summer, but it is NOT unbearable IMHO. Everything has A/C plus the state is surrounded by the ocean. And if a person really feels it's too hot for them in summer you can always leave and vacation somewhere more suitable to your liking. But for 9 +/- months of the year FL weather can't be beat. Next FL has no state income tax. For retirees this can be a huge advantage depending on your financial circumstances. For us this was a BIG draw. Cost of living in FL is CHEAP compared to the northeast so our quality of life financially took a huge leap forward when we settled here.

FL is filled with retirees. These are like-minded folks with many similar interests. Most folks have heard of The Villages in FL. Well, that self-contained community concept is all over FL. Now The Villages is to the extreme with over 100,000 residents. The community we live in is similar to The Villages but nowhere near the size. First off, our community is gated and has about 900 homes. As retirees this was important to us as retirees and older folks. Now a gated community is not Fort Knox but it does provide a bit of extra security. Our community is restricted over 55. This also was a requirement for us. It avoids school busses, playgrounds, children and if someone is spotted in the community of a younger age it attracts lots of attention and people want to know "who is that and what are they doing here?" Not that relatives, grandkids etc., can't visit but from a security standpoint younger folks attract immediate attention.

Living in this setting is like living at a resort. We have 2 golf courses, swimming pools, clubhouses, pub, bocce courts, tennis courts, pickleball courts, horseshoe pits and much, much more. Organized activities are continuous, every day. So, getting "bored" here is almost impossible unless you decide to be a shut-in. Lastly, because everyone who lives here is in a similar circumstance and we're all here for the same thing we have more friends and know more people here in our community than all the places we've lived combined. Most folks who live in a neighborhood "know" their neighbors but seldom socialize with them to any degree. Here we actually socialize with our neighbors constantly. My DW sister came to visit a few years back and they now live here as well. This happens a lot.        

I know this was long-winded, but I hope it gives some incite to those of you retiring and wondering "what to do" as you have a golden opportunity to do whatever you want. Leaving your "comfort zone" of where you live or grew up is NOT a risk it's an opportunity. YES, the grass can be greener, MUCH greener elsewhere. Best of luck to all. Stay Safe & Healthy.

John

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JJK2008 said:

I came across your posts and read many of them with intrigue. Congratulations for doing what so many only dream about. Stay Healthy & Safe. Wishing you many more years of GREAT travel experiences.

John

Thanks John

We hope you enjoy many more years as well.

Tom

I will be turning 70 in February, 2022 and I am still working part time which I started last year.  It was the right choice for me.  I taught 32 years full time in this school (and 6 years in another school).  My two grandchildren go to my school.  I plan to work for a few more years because I enjoy working with children and it gives us extra money to do the things we like to do like cruise.

I am a few months short of 70.  I retired from working as a floor secretary/receptionist (my hips forced me out of CNA work)  before my second hip surgery last November.  I have allergies to meds and the hospital was forcing flu shots (which I've never had).  I asked for a deferment until after surgery and when they refused, I told my Director I was leaving. She told me I was retiring because that wouldn't go on my record. Wise decision! Once I got through the Zyrtec and Benadryl from the med allergies, and started recovering from the PEs, I realized this was NOT going to go well! Now that everything works, I'm back to work Per Diem. I'm not fond of the N95s (They do hurt) or the face shields, but I like working. And it's cruise money!

I retired at 62 business owner now i am 70 and promised myself i will not go back working but just traveling. Will be doing my 3rd BTB Transatlantic cruise next Oct. flying into Rome for a 9 day cruise then disembark in Lisbon to catch a plane to Paris for 3 days then catch Eurostar train to London for 3 days then our 14 day cruise on the new Celebration, we disembark in Miami where i will spend a week in Florida thats what you do when you retire.

When I ran across the title of this thread I thought thats for old people. HEY I am old. 

Back to topic. All my life I had promised myself I would retire by 62. That was my goal. I worked hard with multiple jobs at once and we were doing well for our situation. Age 60 guess what life had another plan, Heart Attack. Dr. sat on my bed and told me I should not be alive and better make some changes. Well I was supervisor on first shift at psychiatric hospital for our state prisons. Dr. told me the job stress is part of the issue, he said you are not going back. DISABILITY. 

We didnt plan on this at all. We loved traveling, bought a motor home to retire with and cruising was our love. 

So I retired 2 years early and I told my wife go in tomorrow and give your notice. You are quitting and we will make it ok.

6 months later got in motorhome and started fulltime for several years. My reason for this is:

DONT WAIT UNTIL SOMETHING HAPPENS TO FORCE IT ON YOU. Make a plan and do it 5 years sooner.

We have never regretted a minute our decision and have seen almost our entire country and cruise when we can. 

That is best advice I can give anyone. 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, revrick3 said:

When I ran across the title of this thread I thought thats for old people. HEY I am old. 

Back to topic. All my life I had promised myself I would retire by 62. That was my goal. I worked hard with multiple jobs at once and we were doing well for our situation. Age 60 guess what life had another plan, Heart Attack. Dr. sat on my bed and told me I should not be alive and better make some changes. Well I was supervisor on first shift at psychiatric hospital for our state prisons. Dr. told me the job stress is part of the issue, he said you are not going back. DISABILITY. 

We didnt plan on this at all. We loved traveling, bought a motor home to retire with and cruising was our love. 

So I retired 2 years early and I told my wife go in tomorrow and give your notice. You are quitting and we will make it ok.

6 months later got in motorhome and started fulltime for several years. My reason for this is:

DONT WAIT UNTIL SOMETHING HAPPENS TO FORCE IT ON YOU. Make a plan and do it 5 years sooner.

We have never regretted a minute our decision and have seen almost our entire country and cruise when we can. 

That is best advice I can give anyone. 

I like your story it's similar make a plan and do it don't look back, i stopped driving when i'm vacationing let someone else do it.

This is just my personal experience.....I have not met one person, not one, who has regretted retiring.....the only regret I hear is that they didn't/couldn't have done it sooner.....

Wishing all the best for whatever works for you..........

• Like 2

On 12/24/2021 at 8:08 AM, JJK2008 said:

This is just my personal experience.....I have not met one person, not one, who has regretted retiring.....the only regret I hear is that they didn't/couldn't have done it sooner.....

Wishing all the best for whatever works for you..........

I think that’s great! I hope you are living your best life and glad you’ve recovered!  I would never deny that retirement is great for some people.  My aunt loves being retired, traveling and living in a retirement community but I’m not a gregarious person so that wouldn’t suit me.  My husband and I moved to a smaller rural New England town (although the out of staters have discovered it and it’s getting bigger 😕)  almost 50 years ago and I love it. We’re well acquainted with Florida since his mother lived there and we visited there often through the years, but I enjoy having 4 beautiful seasons even if I have to drive in it! Oh, and I like no palmetto bugs!

In my case, I returned to my work at the hospital because I really like it and I’m able to work just a day or two a week.  I like a little structure and the feeling of doing something that helps people  and I kind like money! It allows to me to cruise twice a year, which is just right for me. I may feel differently in 5 or 10 years but right now, life is good.  

I actually know several people who were sorry they retired instead of cutting down their hours (I work with one of them - she came back too!) I’d enjoy hearing your travel stories and seeing your pictures. The fact that we’re all different makes this life interesting!

Edited by cooncat_mom
Spelling

• 6 months later...

I have not written since Nov.  but lots of things have been happening.  We went on both cruises (the Chrismas and my birthday cruise in Feb.) and did not get Covid. Came home and got it from a friend.  We did not have it bad.  I cashed in a small 403b so that we could redo our kitchen, floors in kitchen and livingroom and build a new shed. Waiting to finish it in the next two weeks.  We have another cruise planned in 4 weeks.  This is the first year we have taken 3 cruises in one year but we did not cruise for 2 years before because of Covid.  Eveybody's retirement is different.