Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

Been a while since I visited this thread, but it June, I gave my 2 year notice! 🙂  We are short staffed, as we have been for most of my 15 years on this job, but its a notice to my boss when distributing the work of the last person that left, don't put too much of it on me. I can leave at any time, but if you are nice to me, I'll stay till June of 24.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BillOh said:

Been a while since I visited this thread, but it June, I gave my 2 year notice! 🙂  We are short staffed, as we have been for most of my 15 years on this job, but its a notice to my boss when distributing the work of the last person that left, don't put too much of it on me. I can leave at any time, but if you are nice to me, I'll stay till June of 24.

I remember your name from this thread.  I enjoyed teaching and I was not ready to retire completely.  So I am using the other part of my degree (library science) to continue to work in a school.  As the librarian, I don't have to correct papers or do report cards.  I do have to teach the students about books and read to them especially to the young ones.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2022 at 6:47 PM, Science52 said:

I remember your name from this thread.  I enjoyed teaching and I was not ready to retire completely.  So I am using the other part of my degree (library science) to continue to work in a school.  As the librarian, I don't have to correct papers or do report cards.  I do have to teach the students about books and read to them especially to the young ones.

Speaking of books, I just completed a tour of my highschool that occured during our 45th reunion. One of the things that really struck me is the library has about 25% of the books we had!   If anything happens to my main job, I'll switch to maybe 20 hours a week on my part time job that I actually like. - I'm a Patient Consultant at a Medical Marijuana dispensary.  My age is actually valued there! 🙂

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
10 years ago on Oct. 31, 2012 I retired.
We left Minnesota that day, to travel the world, continuing with much joy!
Our hearts are still filled with joy over continuing in our travels, through thick and thin, with my beloved partner, lover, companion, and friend, Jessica Lyman.

With over 4700 posts.

Edited by tomworldwidewaftage
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm retiring at the end of this academic year (DH also worked on an academic calendar, but has been retired for 7 years).  Right now I am only thinking in terms of the semester -  "only one more  . . ."(opening week, advising class, midterm, etc). Starting in January, I will start counting weeks. 

DH and I are looking forward to being able to cruise whenever we wish, instead of having to stick to the high-dollar school vacation times. Our first post-retirement cruise is booked for Sept 16.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had planned to work until 70.  But then a hurricane destroyed my home, work became a nightmare, 2 deaths in the family, and I realized life could be over with little or no warning.  Plan B - retire at 66 (as soon as my wife qualified for Medicare).  I made the decision 8 months in advance, but didn’t tell my boss until about 2 months beforehand.  

We moved to a secure 55+ community where my father in law has lived for the last 22 years.  He enjoys our company.  I walk 5 miles a day.  I play (a form of) golf twice a week, volunteer with meals on wheels, watch my wife play softball, paddle a kayak and dragon boat, garden and was elected Director/Treasurer for my 1200 home cooperative community.  I’m as busy as I was when working.  We spend a month in the NC mountains every summer.  We spend a week with our grandkids at the beach every summer.  We travel to see our kids and the things in Florida we never got around to seeing when work took up all my time.  First post-retirement cruise coming up in March.

• Like 4

I worked till I was 74 years old for a BIG corporate office (Frito Lay, Borden, Starbucks, etc.), and was never pushed out the door. When they decided to move from Missouri (I lived very close to my work) to the state of Kansas, that is when I decided to retire. Did I want to, NO. After a year or two of having BAD weather in Missouri, I was GLAD I no longer worked. I've had a couple other friends that didn't want to retire, but after being off a couple years, they are happy they did.

• Like 2

I retired on October 31st

i am loving it

my husband retired the previous year after getting laid off

i was a nurse for 30 years 

We moved from New Hampshire 5 years ago and love it

We sold our beautiful brand new home and bought a modular home in a 55 plus community 

Sure, days get boring

No more slaving for someone else

We get to wake up and say to each other “what do you want to do today?”

We get up and go to bed when we want

We get to explore Florida

Money is a little tight since I do not collect until March 

but, we have no mortgage and very little bills

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well, I did it.  Retired last November.  Turned 70 one day and retired the next. 😄  I'm not sure it's sunk in yet.  I had a European river cruise booked over Christmas.  First thing I had to do was get my Christmas cards out and buy/wrap/ship gifts.  After that I was doing laundry and packing.  The cruise was wonderful, so much so that I booked the same cruise for this coming December, along with the following cruise that sails over New Year's.  

Right now I'm busy researching my official retirement cruise that's a 31-day cruise around South America in March.  I'm starting to assemble clothes and determine what I need to fill in the gaps.  

After I come back in April, I'm going to research volunteer opportunities at the Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum and the Museum of African American Music.  The local senior center offers several exercise classes and day trips so I'm going to check out those.

When I was coming back from my river cruise everyone was telling me I wouldn't get back on time due to all the airline snafus.  I made it on schedule, but even if I hadn't, no worries, I didn't have to be back home in time to go to work.  

• Like 1

Currently enjoying a visit from my step sister in law and her husband.  They both retired last year, he on 12/31.  I don’t think it’s sunk in yet for him.  I saw him in the golf course today and he looked relaxed but pale.   

As much as I enjoy seeing him, I wonder if he didn’t enjoy returning to Massachusetts from Florida more when he worked.  He’ll have no one to show off his tan to.  But he told me he had called a former coworker this morning.  It was 79 here and 17 at home.

They are not cruisers but I think I could convince him with a glimpse at the food offerings from our next cruise.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking at Nov. 2, 2023.  If I go this far, I might just go into the new year for a few perks.

If I go anytime between now and end of Oct, that'll be fine.
I am now thinking of it more and more each day.

I still need to decided on where I want to move to.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2023 at 8:36 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I retired at 55 but got bored and worked another 6 years in a totally different field.

I had a dentist who retired at 55 and went back to work at 60.  As a dentist.  He claimed he got tired of fishing every day.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I was not a Dentist and I never fished.

Probably didn’t work in Panama City either.  I would have been shocked if you were that dentist.  The bridge you made me broke about 2 years later.  Just in case it’s really you.  😆

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, BamaVol said:

Probably didn’t work in Panama City either.  I would have been shocked if you were that dentist.  The bridge you made me broke about 2 years later.  Just in case it’s really you.  😆

We appear to have a similiar beard.After I retired ,I am not going to say from what ,I went into Advertising,

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...