Any Princess Brides marrying at sea out there?

halifaxgirl

I'm glad I could help you out. I spent months searching TheKnot.com and GettingMarried.com looking for these kinds of tips and realize that former brides who post at CruiseCritic.com were the best source of info for getting married at sea. I just wish it was easier to upload photos here. I'd love to show you how my bouquet turned out after bringing my own color-coordinated ribbon and silk flowers to add to the ship's roses.

I would love to see what you did. That is the what I'm trying to figure out right now actually. Did you give them your items to put in for you, or did you redo the roses yourself?

I would love to see what you did. That is the what I'm trying to figure out right now actually. Did you give them your items to put in for you, or did you redo the roses yourself?

When I met with the florist, I gave him the items to include (silks, ribbons, even the floral pins from my Daughter-in-law's bouquet) and showed him pictures of what we wanted. I also showed him my dress and my husband's shirt and tie so he'd have a really good idea of what I wanted. My dress was tea-dyed Edwardian lace and I really didn't want modern stock white roses. The florist was aghast at using 'fake' flowers at first, but once he had them altogether with the pink roses they came up with (they were supposed to be lavender but couldn't get them) he was pretty happy with the result. He added baby's breath and some blue ribbon, I think it was so that he'd have some creative input. It was okay with me. I was very happy with my bouquet, compared to what it would have been had I not brought my own supplies.

I'm glad I didn't try to re-do it on my own. When I took it apart a week after the wedding (took the silks home but can't take plant material back into the country) it took at least 20 minutes to unwrap it. The florist had individually hand-wired camellia leaves, separate sprigs of baby's breath, and the engineering of the bouquet was amazing to see in reverse. There must have been 30 staples, 20 yards of floral tape, and at least 10 pearly straight pins. My only complaint was that the stems were about 2 inches two long, so if I didn't hold the bouquet just right, the ends were poking me in the tummy. If I had had more time and a good pair of scissors, I would have cut off the 2 inches or so that protruded past the end of the ribbon wrapping.

Another surprise....when our wedding cake arrived that night, it had half a dozen matching short-stem roses and baby's breath as a cake topper. The roses were set in a block of floral foam, so we were able to lift it off, put the foam and flowers in a small glass of water (the tumblers that your steward puts in your bathroom are the perfect size) and have an wonderful bouquet in our suite for another 10 days or so.

hey everyone!

I am wondering how long before your wedding they publish the announcement in the Bermuda Sun? I'm not sure when to start looking!

I have tried numerous time since the holidays to reach Alexandra at TWE with no luck. I do know she has all of my paperwork, but have heard no repsonse from her at all! SO frustrating!

hey everyone!

I am wondering how long before your wedding they publish the announcement in the Bermuda Sun? I'm not sure when to start looking!

I have tried numerous time since the holidays to reach Alexandra at TWE with no luck. I do know she has all of my paperwork, but have heard no repsonse from her at all! SO frustrating!

I really don't know, as I never checked. I wasn't even sure the ship had approval forms from Bermuda until I arrived on board and met with the Asst. Purser/Wedding Coordinator. That's just how TWE works, unfortunately.

I haven't read all the responses but....

I agree that you should make a list of the pics you want taken, this was a huge disappointment for me. The wedding coordinator you will meet with on the ship is very helpful. I would ask about changing your flowers at this time as she was willing to go above and beyond to make me happy.

We are just back from our wonderful wedding at sea on Island Princess. I am going to attempt posting some photos for the first time. It really was a perfect day.

There was a note on board from the wedding coordinator, but I never heard from him personally until I contacted him 3 days into the cruise. It took 2 calls before he finally called back. He met with us the next morning and read over the details. I asked if I could meet the photographer and florist and he said it wouldn't be necessary and they had all the information they needed. I am not really picky, so that was fine. The wedding coordinator ended up with everything correct, but the wedding seemed like a nuisance to him. No matter though, because I thought everything was great. I didn't end up tipping him because he really showed no interest or follow up.

The flowers were lavender and dark pink. I had lavender as my first choice and dark pink as my second. The florist combined them and it did look really nice. I spent the extra $100 for the additional dozen and it was worth it. The bouquet was really nice and did not look skimpy at all.

The photographer was really great. We purchased the additional hour of photography time for $50 and I was really happy with the results. He really wanted us to have nice pictures. We got the pictures included in the wedding package 2 8X10, 5 5X7, and canvas. We also purchased the $750 package with 10 8X10, 20 5X7, and CD. We had so many good pictures that it was hard to choose. He also let us keep the proofs, over 200 4X6. We were so happy with his work that I tipped him $50.

The cake and champagne was really nice. There were live flowers on the cake. We met some couples on excursions and they came to the wedding. They had cake and champagne afterwords. We didn't really have much cake because we had the balcony dinner that evening. Room Service kept it for us and brought some to our room the next day, and the rest the day after. The cake was much bigger than I thought it would be and very tasty.

The wedding chapel was decorated really nice with rose petals lining the aisle candlelight, floral arrangements and tule. The live music was from the pianist. The captain invited us to the bridge for pictures which was really nice.

I was extremely happy with the wedding and the only thing I would change is the time of the wedding. We got married at 3:30 and had a lot of outside

pictures taken after 4:00. The sun was in a position where it was in our eyes. On the shady side of the ship the blue was not as vibrant, so we had to endure the sun. Some of the pictures were a little squinty. We have so many great photos that the few squinty ones don't matter. The photographer said if we got married earlier in the day, the sun wouldn't have been an issue.

If you have any questions, I will do my best to answer. Now, I will try to post some photos.

CHF_9552.jpg

CHF_9586.jpg

CHF_9608copy.jpg

CHF_9613.jpg

CHF_9631.jpg

Congratulations Michele!! Your pictures are beautiful!!

I'm sorry to hear about your WC, but we had pretty much the same issue (which, luckily, seems to be rare). In the end, as you said, you focus the highlights of that very special day.

We are just back from our wonderful wedding at sea on Island Princess. I am going to attempt posting some photos for the first time. It really was a perfect day.

The flowers were lavender and dark pink. I had lavender as my first choice and dark pink as my second. The florist combined them and it did look really nice. I spent the extra $100 for the additional dozen and it was worth it. The bouquet was really nice and did not look skimpy at all.

Congrats on your wedding Michelle....you are a beautiful bride! How did you post your pictures? It seemed to me that they had to be hosted on another site with a URL.

I thought my roses were pink, but now that I see yours, I realize they were lavender afterall. My husband's shirt and tie were pale lavender and look much more purple than the roses. They didn't match, but since the tie had some blue in it and so did our ribbons, it still coordinated well. I can't imagine not meeting with the florist and photographer first. Your WC was definitely not worth getting tipped. He probably thinks of himself as more of a macho sailor than a girly wedding planner. :p

A few tips for other brides:

Different ships seem to have different outcomes so whatever Michelle or I have relayed as our own experiences aren't necessarily going to be repeated. Stay flexible. For instance, my photographer's 365 proofs were 2x3 size and he gave them to us after purchasing the $495 CD. Michelle got 200 proofs but they were 4x5. Michelle's cake came on a little stand with columns, mine came on a silver tray with lace doilies.

When choosing the time of your ceremony based on where you think the sun will be in the sky for photos afterwards, remember that the latitude has a lot to do with the sun's position. We chose two o'clock in the afternoon, so photos were around 3:00 p.m., but we were south of the equator so the days are longer and the sun was higher than you'd expect for 3:00 p.m. the middle of December. Even so, everything outdoors is white and bright, so squinty is the norm. Also, since you're being married at sea and the ship is moving at around 18 to 20 knots, there WILL be wind!

Congrats on your wedding Michelle....you are a beautiful bride! How did you post your pictures? It seemed to me that they had to be hosted on another site with a URL.

I thought my roses were pink, but now that I see yours, I realize they were lavender afterall. My husband's shirt and tie were pale lavender and look much more purple than the roses. They didn't match, but since the tie had some blue in it and so did our ribbons, it still coordinated well. I can't imagine not meeting with the florist and photographer first. Your WC was definitely not worth getting tipped. He probably thinks of himself as more of a macho sailor than a girly wedding planner. :p

Different ships seem to have different outcomes so whatever Michelle or I have relayed as our own experiences aren't necessarily going to be repeated. Stay flexible. For instance, my photographer's 365 proofs were 2x3 size and he gave them to us after purchasing the $495 CD. Michelle got 200 proofs but they were 4x5. Michelle's cake came on a little stand with columns, mine came on a silver tray with lace doilies.

When choosing the time of your ceremony based on where you think the sun will be in the sky for photos afterwards, remember that the latitude has a lot to do with the sun's position. We chose two o'clock in the afternoon, so photos were around 3:00 p.m., but we were south of the equator so the days are longer and the sun was higher than you'd expect for 3:00 p.m. the middle of December. Even so, everything outdoors is white and bright, so squinty is the norm. Also, since you're being married at sea and the ship is moving at around 18 to 20 knots, there WILL be wind!

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to post the pictures. I ended up putting all the pictures into Photobucket. As you click on each picture you want to post you will see IMG code to the left. If you click on that it copies the picture. You can then go to the post you are doing and paste the picture. You can email the pictures from there also.

You are right about the time. It all depends on where you are and what time zone you are in.

One more tip I have is one that my sister gave me as soon as I received my flowers. She told me to be sure to hold them low. It feels like you should hold the flowers in a comfortable position that is higher, but when you hold them low, it looks good in the pictures. I tried to think of that the entire time and I was happy where the flowers were in the pictures.

hey everyone!

Halifaxgirl: After you mentioned the Bermuda Sun, I looked online and found my notice dated October 28. We sailed on November 22 and got married on December 6. Don't worry about missing it because they are all there in the archives. It really isn't very exciting, though, and scarily lists your home address. Strangers will know when you won't be home. Yikes!

Thanks for posting photos ladies, you looked gorgeous!

I FINALLY heard from Alexandra yesterday and she confirmed receipt of my paperwork and that I won't hear anything else until I hear from the Finaization Coordinator around 30 days before the wedding.

Some have mentioned definitely bringing a list of photos that you want from the photographer, but I'm not sure what should be on the list! Are there certain areas on the ship or poses that are must haves? I've only sailed once before and it wasn't with Princess.

I ordered the white roses, and added an extra dozen, so I am not panicked about colours, i am assuming you can't mess up white, lol! I do want to bring my own ribbon to wrap the stems, hopefully they can get that right and i will try to figure out if I can trim them. i also don't want the stems to pick the front of my dress - was that a concern with either of you?

Thanks again and again for your feedback

In regards to the pics- I would list who you want pics with, sounds like common sense but I don't have a single pic of my mother and I on my wedding day :( You will be caught up in the moment that you won't even think about the people in the pics/poses so I would discuss this in advance. I LOVED all the pics that were taken out on the ship's deck.

In regards to the pics- I would list who you want pics with, sounds like common sense but I don't have a single pic of my mother and I on my wedding day :( You will be caught up in the moment that you won't even think about the people in the pics/poses so I would discuss this in advance. I LOVED all the pics that were taken out on the ship's deck.

Exactly! I had told my MOH that I wanted pictures of us with each of the parties traveling with us and with our families at the reception (paid for extra time). She told the photographer who replied something to the effect of "it's not their (the guest's & family's) event--the event is about the bride and groom and those are the only people I am responsible for getting pictures of." He flat out refused what she said was my request--I was totally caught up in the moment. As a result, we have pictures with some of the guests we could get together with and drag the photographer over to at the last minute. I also have no pictures of me with my mother at the reception. I loved the pictures on deck, but his attitude and lack of pictures of us with important people in our lives was a real downer. If we had presented him with a printed list of pictures we wanted he would have had less room to argue.

Thanks for posting photos ladies, you looked gorgeous!

I FINALLY heard from Alexandra yesterday and she confirmed receipt of my paperwork and that I won't hear anything else until I hear from the Finaization Coordinator around 30 days before the wedding.

Some have mentioned definitely bringing a list of photos that you want from the photographer, but I'm not sure what should be on the list! Are there certain areas on the ship or poses that are must haves? I've only sailed once before and it wasn't with Princess.

I ordered the white roses, and added an extra dozen, so I am not panicked about colours, i am assuming you can't mess up white, lol! I do want to bring my own ribbon to wrap the stems, hopefully they can get that right and i will try to figure out if I can trim them. i also don't want the stems to pick the front of my dress - was that a concern with either of you?

Thanks again and again for your feedback

Don't be alarmed if you don't hear from the finalization coordinator at 30 days out. I did not hear from them at all, so I called two weeks out and they sent me the final paperwork to sign and fax.

I'm sure the florist will use whatever ribbon you want. My stems were the perfect length and did not need any trimming. You won't be sorry that you ordered the extra dozen. It is expensive, but worth it. After the wedding when you are done with everything, be sure to cut the stems before putting them in water. My flowers looked beautiful for 5 days till the end of the cruise.

I did not have a list of photos I wanted, but I was very lucky our photographer thought of everything. He was very easy to work with. He told us that he had a plan in his head to take us around the ship to get all the great pictures. He would have taken pictures with anyone we wanted. He took a lot of pictures with my sister and her husband and us. If you want pictures with certain people, be sure to give him a list, other than that, I'm sure he will take you around the ship for all the great pictures

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to post the pictures. I ended up putting all the pictures into Photobucket. As you click on each picture you want to post you will see IMG code to the left. If you click on that it copies the picture. You can then go to the post you are doing and paste the picture. You can email the pictures from there also.

You are right about the time. It all depends on where you are and what time zone you are in.

One more tip I have is one that my sister gave me as soon as I received my flowers. She told me to be sure to hold them low. It feels like you should hold the flowers in a comfortable position that is higher, but when you hold them low, it looks good in the pictures. I tried to think of that the entire time and I was happy where the flowers were in the pictures.

VERY cute Michelle! Regarding your cake, did they ask you if you wanted frosting decorations on it, or did they just do it? I think I'm wanting no frosting decor on the cake, just a smooth finish. I think I want to have ribbon on it too, instead of flowers. I have a while (09.14.10) but wanted to ask you gals what you thought and if it's even possible.

VERY cute Michelle! Regarding your cake, did they ask you if you wanted frosting decorations on it, or did they just do it? I think I'm wanting no frosting decor on the cake, just a smooth finish. I think I want to have ribbon on it too, instead of flowers. I have a while (09.14.10) but wanted to ask you gals what you thought and if it's even possible.

They asked in the original paperwork what flavor, filling, and frosting. All I did was fill in the blanks. The cake was very good and I was pleasantly surprised at how large it was. I think there were 4 layers. Also the live flower topper was really nice. I'm sure if you specify what you want, they will do it.

We had the cake that comes with the package separately and it looked a lot like Michele's cake. For that we just filled out the basic information as to flavor. For the reception we ordered a larger square cake to feed our 50 guests (what we ended up with could have fed 250 people). For this cake we also gave the flavor information and provided a picture of what we wanted. We requested ribbon around each layer and we were told it could be done, but we would have to provide the ribbon to be used. We did provide the ribbon (gave it to the coordinator on embarkation day) and it looked great.

We had the cake that comes with the package separately and it looked a lot like Michele's cake. For that we just filled out the basic information as to flavor. For the reception we ordered a larger square cake to feed our 50 guests (what we ended up with could have fed 250 people). For this cake we also gave the flavor information and provided a picture of what we wanted. We requested ribbon around each layer and we were told it could be done, but we would have to provide the ribbon to be used. We did provide the ribbon (gave it to the coordinator on embarkation day) and it looked great.

Thanks. That is what I think I'm going to do too, just to make sure the colors are right. Did any one order an additional cake for your guest but have it at a "group function" through Princess instead of the reception TWE tries to sell you? We are going for the group function but I don't know how to get the cake there without them getting mad.

Archived