What to do in Cozumel and Grand Cayman?

bogs1009

We are headed out for a cruise with Carinval with ports in both Grand Cayman and Cozumel, both of which have stingray alleys. Which location is better?

Thanks!

Pilldoc - IMO, Grand Cayman is better to see the stingrays. Lots of rays!

In Grand Cayman, we have done the waverunner excursion through Island Marketing 3 times now. I have also been informed we will be doing it forever. :) You leave from Grand Caymanian Resort and have access to their pool before and after - they make great frozen drinks! Your small group will take waverunners with guides to Stingray City, then either go to a snorkle location or Rum Point (vote for Rum Point). Rum Point is gorgeous and we enjoy getting a drink and a snack. The waverunners are a blast on the open sea and you can generally go pretty fast - the guides are very good about keeping things in line and trying not to allow people to go too slow and hold everyone up. I can't recommend this highly enough! Plus you will still have time to do other things like visit Margaritaville or various places.

This sounds awesome! I have a question though... if you book onboard does it go onto your onboard expense account, which you then pay off at the end of the cruise? I ask because I don't really have the extra money to book before my cruise on the 14th, I'm saving for the unexpected.

Xcaret in Cozumel (actually on the mainland, but they ferry you over), was a lot of fun. You float down an underground river for about 40 minutes, and end up at the beach. You can swim over to the dolphin show area, and watch the dolpins underwater. They have a lot of other animals and activities there as well.

This sounds like a great way to spend the day :D I think I may do it.

In Grand Cayman we did a wave runner tour it was awesome. You start off at a private resort then hop on your waver runner and from there you go to the stingray thing. After that you go to some bar on a beach. After that you head back to the private resort. On the way back a storm was coming in and we had waves about 4 feet high my girl was freaking out but I loved every minute of it. I believe it cost about $150 for the two of us.

We did the stingray tour with Stingray Sailing. The weather did not fully cooperate the day we were in GC, but we still got a partial tour (no charge since it was not up to their standards but still paid them partially anyways because they were so accomodating to us). Most of the tours booked through the ship were canceled so that was one decision I was glad I made. The company is highly rated which is why I chose them. I will be looking them up again next time we visit GC. The other thing we had planned which did not happen was snorkeling at Eden rocks. Instead, our tour operator dropped us off at Royal Palms, a bar/restaurant about 2 miles from the pier. Great lunch/drinks, and swam in the large waves that were breaking on shore that day. It was a great day. In Cozumel, 6 of us caught a taxi and headed south to Playa Palancar. Had most of the beach to ourselves and paid $30 per person at their onsite dive shop to take a snorkel tour out to Columbia and Palancar Reefs. Awesome tour, awesome guide (Luis) who took my underwater camera to get some great shots. Over and hour of snorkeling-you must snorkel in Cozumel!. When we got back, we ordered a huge Mexican lunch and Margaritas for the six of us. Food was awesome. Chairs available on the beach as well as tables with umbrellas. No beach toys,just a quiet out of the way beach. Taxi ride was $40 each way for six people. Only issue-friend had her sunglasses stolen-be sure to lock your stuff up in the lockers when not in use. Other than that, it was an excellent day.

Archived