somewhere to stay in brisbane?

sassycatz

Hi,

my husband and i are going on Pacific Dawn in May and i would like to book somewhere nice to stay the night before we leave. Has anyone got any ideas on some some nice accomodation that is not too far away from the terminal she leaves from? cheers sassycat :)

the closest accomodation to the Cruise Terminal is Kingsford Smith Motel, you can literally see the terminal from it.

http://kingsfordsmithmotel.com.au/

If you're looking for something a bit more upmarket try the Brisbane Riverview Hotel, which is about a 20min walk, or a short taxi ride, away from the terminal.

http://www.viewhotels.com.au/brisbane_riverview/index.aspx

ok, thanks for all your help. I have a starting point now as i had no idea where the ship left from.:D

cheers sassycatz

glad to help , the ship leaves from port side hamilton, or as some people of old now it as bretts wharf

glad to help , the ship leaves from port side hamilton, or as some people of old now it as bretts wharf

Actually, Brett's Wharf is not Portside. Portside is about 800 metres further down the river. (I know - I've walked it on a hot - 32 deg C - day :rolleyes: )

Actually, Brett's Wharf is not Portside. Portside is about 800 metres further down the river. (I know - I've walked it on a hot - 32 deg C - day :rolleyes: )

sorry to tell you,it is is bretts wharf, but you are probly refering to the new bretts wharf that was built after they revemted it what is called port side and bretts wharf today.

sorry to tell you,it is is bretts wharf, but you are probly refering to the new bretts wharf that was built after they revemted it what is called port side and bretts wharf today.

And sorry to tell you - but the wharf that is now Portside has never been known as Brett's Wharf. The wharf where the cruise terminal is was called Hamilton Number 2 and along with neighbouring wharfs on the downstream side was the old P&O Freight terminal (before they moved to Fisherman Island while Portside was being built).

Brett's wharf is the small wharf that gave it's name to the the restaurant and reception venue built between the wharf and Kingsford Smith Drive in 1995.

(http://www.brettswharf.com.au/default.asp?p=13)

For somewhere exceptionally nice and a bit decadent - the Stamford Plaza in the city is great.

We stayed there before our cruise last month and got a package deal - 1 nights accommodation, seafood buffet dinner, beer and wine buffet (all you can drink while eating dinner) and buffet breakfast the next morning. We had views of the Brisbane River from our room and also sat on the terrace for dinner. We paid $388.

We then also splashed out and hired a limo to take us to the wharf which was awesome!!!

A great way to start a cruise and get in the holiday mood

Rach

ok, thanks for all your help. I have a starting point now as i had no idea where the ship left from.:D

cheers sassycatz

The two I gave you I recommended from first hand experience. We have friends who have stayed at both places prior to cruises, and we also know people who spent their wedding night at the Brisbane Riverview.

Kym

Bretts Wharf is located right on the river at near-city Hamilton on the site of the original Bretts Wharf timber wharves that had been built at the turn of the century.

And in 1995 The business was established and is owned by restaurateurs Francis and Marilyn Domenech and property developers Ross and Genny Nielson in 1995.

The 1st Marine Division arrive in Brisbane at Brett's Wharf on

13 December 1942 for some R&R after fighting a Guadalcanal

http://www.ozatwar.com/locations/brettswharf.htm

And sorry to tell you - but the wharf that is now Portside has never been known as Brett's Wharf. The wharf where the cruise terminal is was called Hamilton Number 2 and along with neighbouring wharfs on the downstream side was the old P&O Freight terminal (before they moved to Fisherman Island while Portside was being built).

Brett's wharf is the small wharf that gave it's name to the the restaurant and reception venue built between the wharf and Kingsford Smith Drive in 1995.

(http://www.brettswharf.com.au/default.asp?p=13)

Bretts Wharf is located right on the river at near-city Hamilton on the site of the original Bretts Wharf timber wharves that had been built at the turn of the century.

And in 1995 The business was established and is owned by restaurateurs Francis and Marilyn Domenech and property developers Ross and Genny Nielson in 1995.

The 1st Marine Division arrive in Brisbane at

Brett's Wharf on

13 December 1942 for some R&R after fighting a Guadalcanal

http://www.ozatwar.com/locations/brettswharf.htm

Photo: via Kevin Burnett

Flying Boat landing on Brisbane River near Bulimba in 1938

(possibly Imperial Airways CentaurusG-ADUT) Note the old vehicle

ferry travelling from Bulimba to New Farm at the left of the photo.

Photo:- Ernie Williams via Peter Kolkka who

found this photo on a glass slide in his garage

This is a cropped version of the above photograph. Note Parliament House to the right of the photo and City Hall at top left.

The Empire Flying Boat, Short S23 C-Class, S.811 Centaurus was later impressed by the RAAF and was sunk at her moorings during a Japanese air raid on Broome on 3 March 1942 as A18-10. There is another plaque that was unveiled by the former Lord Mayor of Brisbane Sally-Anne Atkinson at the Maritime Museum to remember the 1937 landing of Centaurus.

http://www.northshorehamilton.com.au/Portals/0/timeline%20doc.pdf

note Brett’s Wharves, Hamilton c1927

Thanks again, i will be looking at all your suggestions . It's great to get first hand reviews of places to stay because quite often when you look at pictures on the net they show you the best room in the place and then when you get there your room is nothing like it .Also coming from Geelong and not knowing Brisbane at all and its areas , helps to understand how far away from the terminal these places will be

cheers sassycatz:)

Archived