TA and prices

mondas42

Hi all

I have read many times on here that TA's are not allowed to discount prices by RCI, however we booked our 12 night med cruise for 2010 through a large well known TA in the UK for about £300+ lower than the direct price from RCI. How does that happen?

Ta

Martin

Hi all

I have read many times on here that TA's are not allowed to discount prices by RCI, however we booked our 12 night med cruise for 2010 through a large well known TA in the UK for about £300+ lower than the direct price from RCI. How does that happen?

Ta

Martin

Because you are not in the USA

I think the difference may be that they cannot advertise prices lower than the cruise line does, but if you contact a TA and ask for a quote they may sacrifice some of their commission/profit for a discount.

But if they do that and are caught, RCI will no longer do business with them.

Most likely they took out a group, and then the prices rose after that. Are you getting onboard credit, too?

Hi all

I have read many times on here that TA's are not allowed to discount prices by RCI, however we booked our 12 night med cruise for 2010 through a large well known TA in the UK for about £300+ lower than the direct price from RCI. How does that happen?Ta

Martin

I believe the no discounting rule applies to U.S. travel agents.

RCCL rules are that monetary discounting either cash refunds, cutting original price, etc are not permitted. OBC are not considered monetary discount but cannot be more than 10% of the cruise price.

Group space is not cheaper than individual price and RCCL say NO selling below cruise line price. Booking groups gives you some perks like a free berth after 15, but not a discount.

The no advertising applies to some of the other cruise lines where discounting is permitted but cannot be advertised.

Several luxury cruise lines like Siversea do not permit discounting

But if group space is booked, and the prices go up, the clients will get the group price as long as there is space available. ;)

But if they do that and are caught, RCI will no longer do business with them.

Most likely they took out a group, and then the prices rose after that. Are you getting onboard credit, too?

No OBC, just a cheaper price:D

But if group space is booked, and the prices go up, the clients will get the group price as long as there is space available. ;)

That is correct. Group space isn't any cheaper when it's blocked, but it does protect from price increases.

Plain and simple ... RCI does not permit discounting off published prices. That's why I hadn't booked with them for several years ... they were consistently higher than other lines with comparable ships, sail dates and itineraries. Since they've become more competitive, I've reserved two cruises through the same online travel agency. What I did receive were a couple of nice perks ... onboard credit and travel insurance. Some TA's also have elaborate point systems, redeemable for other goodies. What matters is value and service ... and Im getting both.

We were suprised when we booked our cruise during the WOW sale. Our cruise was about $170 cheaper per person! She didnt say it was a special deal or anything...thats the price they gave her when the TA called RCCL

On the other hand a Trans Atlantic cruise I had been watching had the air cost increase during the WOW sail only to go back down a few days later. RCCL like all retailers tries many sales strategies - so as they say - buyer beware and in the case of cruises - keep watching because the price is likely to change and the cruise line won't knock on your door to tell you.

Hi all

Ta

Martin

Some UK travel agents book group space, that does sometimes get lower prices, (x number fo cabins leads to x number of free berths) and is perfectly allowable. If they booked it when porces were lower they have that price locked in. I know of a UK treavel agent that is still offgering the Jewel sailing we are on next June at the much lower prices that were on offer about a month ago (more than £500 saving on the current RCL price).

Archived