SCAM ALERT: Watch out for guy who will ask if you speak English

Waking life

My wife, daughter and I were enjoying lunch 4/6/2012 near the Sheraton in Old San Juan. A couple from Wyoming sat down near us and told us we should be careful not to walk under any bridges. They proceeded to tell us how they had just helped out an American, who while walking under a bridge, had been beat up along with his father. They gave him money so he could get to hospital to see his dad...

My wife, daughter and I were enjoying lunch 4/6/2012 near the Sheraton in Old San Juan. A couple from Wyoming sat down near us and told us we should be careful not to walk under any bridges. They proceeded to tell us how they had just helped out an American, who while walking under a bridge, had been beat up along with his father. They gave him money so he could get to hospital to see his dad...

LMAO this guy is good I was hoping to see him again this past Oct , I have met him twice , will have to watch for him next April . ;)

well he wasn't wandering around last week by the docks or the forts. Maybe he was over in the Conado area, not OSJ.

The funny part is the first time I saw him he had been beat up we were at the Marriot Stellaris in 08 I was going across the street to Starbucks Had only only grabbed $5 and had no money on me , He gave that sad story , I felt bad for him By the time I had went upsatairs with my coffee and grabbed a $10 bill he was gone, he was scratched up and bruised ,I halfed believed him but thought oh well it the Christian thing to do . In spring of 09 we were at the Sheraton OSJ my wife and I walked out and there he was here he came with that sad story before he could get out 2 words I said hey how is your Dad did you get him home , he just dropped his jaw and said God bless you and walked on.

• 2 weeks later...

We ran into him yesterday! I was completely not expecting to. We just got off the Victory and had dropped our bags at a place to store them when he approached my group and asked if we spoke English. I sure did impress the rest of the people I was with when I cut him off and said "Oh, I know all about you. You're famous!!" He looked dumbfounded and a little annoyed at first and then said "God bless... thanks for being good sports" :rolleyes: My friend said we should turn around and get a picture but I told her to just keep walking!

If I hadn't read this forum I wouldn't have been prepared to shut him down. Thanks everyone!

We ran into him yesterday! I was completely not expecting to. We just got off the Victory and had dropped our bags at a place to store them when he approached my group and asked if we spoke English. I sure did impress the rest of the people I was with when I cut him off and said "Oh, I know all about you. You're famous!!" He looked dumbfounded and a little annoyed at first and then said "God bless... thanks for being good sports" :rolleyes: My friend said we should turn around and get a picture but I told her to just keep walking!

If I hadn't read this forum I wouldn't have been prepared to shut him down. Thanks everyone!

That's so funny when we now run into him.

Seems he's still doing well at his 'gig' despite many of us are hearing about him.

Hello xina85, we were on the same sailing on the victory, and DW and I were approached as well.... I did get a picture of him... He's the guy in the plaid shirt, and has a very well rehearsed "mid western" accent...

He told us that he needed six bucks to take the bus to the hospital to pick-up his dad... we were sitting on a bench, waiting for the FREE trolley (bus) that took us right past the hospital... go figure.

542880_10150808379851938_517166937_10015090_1500619566_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Wow - now I'm hoping to meet him this September, lol!!!

I'd think twice about that one personally. While there has been no indication that this person is violent, I'd still stick with my preference of avoiding street criminals (or any other kind of crook) and/or avoiding confrontation with them.

Earlier this week, on our last night post cruise, we were headed back to the Conrad after dinner and the guy stopped us and started giving us the father/fight/scam story. I said "wow. you're all over the internet!" He just said "God bless" and quickly walked away. Seemed like a fitting end to the vacation - like cramming in one final mini experience!

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know his real story? Name? Where he's from? Where he lives?

Since he asks for such a little amount of $ people who believe him probably give it to him. If he asked for $50 or some higher amount they would be more wary.

The real story is that this guy is a criminal. A con man and beggar. That's why I'm surprised so many here have posted that they've confronted him. While there is no indication this person is violent I would not think it is very wise to confront a criminal.

For all we know there is more than one person doing this - it could be a number of people or even an organized criminal gang pulling this off - not unlike pick pocket operations in some tourist areas.

The real story is that this guy is a criminal. A con man and beggar. That's why I'm surprised so many here have posted that they've confronted him. While there is no indication this person is violent I would not think it is very wise to confront a criminal.

For all we know there is more than one person doing this - it could be a number of people or even an organized criminal gang pulling this off - not unlike pick pocket operations in some tourist areas.

I'll be with a friend part of the time, but I'll be alone one day, and as a woman on my own I would never confront anyone. I'll just be aware of what to expect should a man ask me if I speak English.

• 2 weeks later...

I just stumbled across this thread. We encounted this guy on our cruise back in November 2009. It was our first time in PR and it left a really bad impression on us. After we encountered him, I felt very unsafe and decided that I just wanted to go back to the ship. I am surprised that he is still around but hope he is gone before I visit there again

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know his real story? Name? Where he's from? Where he lives?

Since he asks for such a little amount of $ people who believe him probably give it to him. If he asked for $50 or some higher amount they would be more wary.

The scam is common in urban areas all over, transmitted from one scammer to another over 40-oz bottles of beer. There are various versions. Sometimes the scammer may mention a higher number - $50 to get a tire fixed, say - and claim they already have $43 and only need $7 more. Additional emotional details may include a sick child in the car, etc etc.

If well rehearsed, these scams are effective the first time you hear them. At second hearing you start being more alert to the illogical or excessive details - the scammer often gives you one or two paragraphs of narrative in order to explain, exactly and carefully, how he came to be in the predicament - he's "not from the area", his "wallet is in the glove compartment", etc etc.

Unfortunately this kind of thing lowers the overall level of trust.

He got me in a back alley of Old San Juan quite a few years back. I gave him $20 but I don't really feel scammed. I give money to many homeless people and particularly when travelling in the Caribbean tend to be quite generous when I see crippled beggars or very old women asking for a handout.

I consider it a form of direct foreign aid. I certainly never give money to any Religon or Church, so really isn't everyone being scammed one way or another!

He got me in a back alley of Old San Juan quite a few years back. I gave him $20 but I don't really feel scammed. I give money to many homeless people and particularly when travelling in the Caribbean tend to be quite generous when I see crippled beggars or very old women asking for a handout.

I consider it a form of direct foreign aid. I certainly never give money to any Religon or Church, so really isn't everyone being scammed one way or another!

But it IS a scam, because he is lying and tricking people into giving him money under false pretenses. If he was simply begging for money, thats different. However, as long as he makes a decent living scamming people, he will never have any reason to make an honest living. I have no respect nor desire to help people like that (and I give generously to people in need, but not scammers).

Edited by MDSue

Had I been so inclined to give him money, I would have been uneasy taking my wallet out of my purse for fear he would grab it and run.

• 2 weeks later...
We arrived Saturday night in Old San Juan a day early for our 7 day eastern carribean. We checked into our hotel then proceded to walk to a bar and a man stopped us asking if we speak English. He stated that he was engineer from Milwaukee and him his dad just got jumped a block outside old San Juan. He stated his dad was in the hospital and he just went to the US embassy and they were closed. He proceded to tell him he needed seven dollars to get back to the hotel. First of all I doubted we would get jumped one block outside Old San Juan and secondly his story sounded too rehearsed. It sounded like he told this story a thousand times I suppose he said it so fast because he could tell I wanted to walk away. I then told them their was no money I could give him, he seemed really distressed when I walk away.

We had a great time and came back to spend one more day in Old San Juan. Sure enough I was walking down the street and the same man in a different outfit approached me asking if I spoke English. I just walked away ignored him somewhat shocked, I later asked a homeless American for directions. I then asked him if he knew this guy asked people if they spoke English and he stated yes, he sees him trying the same scam everyday. This man is in his fourties between 5-11 and 6-1 foot tall. Dirty blond hair with a thin build. Be aware of this scam artist and tell him where go if you see him.

On behalf of Milwaukee we apologize for sending this man to SJ :)

When DH first started in law enforcement 20+ years ago he arrested a panhandler who told him he was "bringing down $300/day cash". Disheartening to say the least....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk