Are jackets required wear for men at Chops and Portofino's

The wife and I are booked on the FOS western caribbean on Nov. 1st. I already booked reservations at Chops and Portofino's online. I'm trying to save packing space in the suitcases and would like to know if jacket/ties are required wear in these restaurants? I know I'll have to pack two suits for the formal nights. Would dress slacks and short sleeved button front open collar shirts acceptable. I know they won't toss us out but wouldn't want to feel out of place. Thanks for any feedback.

JayRay, we once sailed on the Liberty and wanted to keep packing very simple. We booked the speciality restaurants on formal nights so we didn't have to pack formal wear. I know we missed lobster night, but it's been overrated for the last few years.

Rollie

I know I'll have to pack two suits for the formal nights.
I know you didn't actually ask for packing advice, but since you mentioned saving some suitcase space, I'll make a suggestion. I think you are on a 7-night cruise so have 2 formal nights. My husband usually brings one suit to wear for both formal nights but brings 2 shirts/ties to mix it up a little. To be honest, no one really will notice whether you wear the same suit for both nights. You only wear it for a few hours anyway. I do something similiar - bring one long skirt with 2 blouses.

Hubby usually wears a button-down or polo shirt with Dockers for Chops or Portofino. That's what 90% of the guys wear. There will probably be a guy or two wearing a jacket, but there will probably also be a guy or two wearing jeans.

JayRay, we once sailed on the Liberty and wanted to keep packing very simple. We booked the speciality restaurants on formal nights so we didn't have to pack formal wear. I know we missed lobster night, but it's been overrated for the last few years.

Rollie

We did the same on Freedom last year and lucky for us lobster night was not formal night. Worked out great for us. To the OP no need for a jacket in Chops/Portofino.

Unless you are packing a young child, nice casual is fine (young children not allowed). We enjoy both restaurants so much that it has been 2 years since we stepped foot in the MDR. One formal night my husband wanted lobster in addition to the menu items, so our server went and got him one! Enjoy!

JayRay, we once sailed on the Liberty and wanted to keep packing very simple. We booked the specialty restaurants on formal nights so we didn't have to pack formal wear. I know we missed lobster night, but it's been overrated for the last few years.

Rollie

I was under the impression they suggested formal wear on formal nights in the specialty restaurant's too. If you don't have to....that would be great!!!:D

Unless you are packing a young child, nice casual is fine (young children not allowed). We enjoy both restaurants so much that it has been 2 years since we stepped foot in the MDR. One formal night my husband wanted lobster in addition to the menu items, so our server went and got him one! Enjoy!

Children under 13 are welcome until about 7:30, at least they have been on the ships we've sailed on.

I was under the impression they suggested formal wear on formal nights in the specialty restaurant's too. If you don't have to....that would be great!!!:D

You don't have to.:)

Nope. Smart casual every night in Chops and Portofino. Formal is only for the dining room. Of course no one would stop you from dressing formal in any venue. But it is certainly not a requirement.

We just got off of the Explorer. Went to Portofinos in our formal attire. Two woman came in in jeans and sweatshirts. They were seated and served.

I felt they should not have been served- but they did not ask me.

They do not enforce the dress codes.

I would have felt very uncomfortable dressed that way.

We just got off of the Explorer. Went to Portofinos in our formal attire. Two woman came in in jeans and sweatshirts. They were seated and served.

I felt they should not have been served- but they did not ask me.

They do not enforce the dress codes.

I would have felt very uncomfortable dressed that way.

Why, do you think their food tasted differently than your food? :confused: Both parties paid the same amount, correct?

###

Why, do you think their food tasted differently than your food? :confused: Both parties paid the same amount, correct?

###

Dress codes are set to maintain a decorum, an atmosphere. If you don't want to dress as recommended, go to the buffet.

Dress codes are set to maintain a decorum, an atmosphere. If you don't want to dress as recommended, go to the buffet.

Maybe you made people feel uncomfortable dressing in your formal wear at Portofino, since the "dress code" (or suggested attire) there is smart casual, not formal.

From the Royal website, and the same goes for Chops...

"We suggest smart casual attire in Portofino - jackets for men, dresses or pantsuits for women. On formal evenings, formal attire is also appropriate in the restaurant. This includes suits and ties or tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for women."

Unless you are traveling with your Mommy and are under 18, these guidelines pertain to you! Yes, Royal will serve guests that are improperly or under dressed, it gives the wait staff something to laugh about in the back!

From the Royal website, and the same goes for Chops...

"We suggest smart casual attire in Portofino - jackets for men, dresses or pantsuits for women. On formal evenings, formal attire is also appropriate in the restaurant. This includes suits and ties or tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for women."

Unless you are traveling with your Mommy and are under 18, these guidelines pertain to you! Yes, Royal will serve guests that are improperly or under dressed, it gives the wait staff something to laugh about in the back!

What they mean is that if you want to dress formal, you may. I'm just trying to make a point. Not everyone is going to dress the same, and what someone wears doesn't bother me at all. I don't spend my dinner checking out other outfits. I spend it talking with my loved ones and enjoying my dinner. People put way too much emphasis on what other people wear.

The wife and I are booked on the FOS western caribbean on Nov. 1st. I already booked reservations at Chops and Portofino's online. I'm trying to save packing space in the suitcases and would like to know if jacket/ties are required wear in these restaurants? I know I'll have to pack two suits for the formal nights. Would dress slacks and short sleeved button front open collar shirts acceptable. I know they won't toss us out but wouldn't want to feel out of place. Thanks for any feedback.

To answer your question, no, you won't be tossed out based on the attire you suggested above. I personally witnessed two gentlemen dressed exactly as you suggested at Portofinos last month. I do, however, have a question for you. If you're already packing two suits for formal nights, why not just wear one of the suits to Ports/Chops?

Personally, I bring along one tux, one black "suit", a couple other matching wool slacks that match the jacket and an assortment of shirts and ties. That way I'm wearing a suit each night and a tux on formal nights. I can always remove the jacket if my tablemates are casual.

I just can't see a reason for you to bring a third suit along. With two suits, you should be able to handle formals and any other night you chose to wear a suit.

Archived