Are jackets required wear for men at Chops and Portofino's

I know you didn't actually ask for packing advice, but since you mentioned saving some suitcase space, I'll make a suggestion. I think you are on a 7-night cruise so have 2 formal nights. My husband usually brings one suit to wear for both formal nights but brings 2 shirts/ties to mix it up a little. To be honest, no one really will notice whether you wear the same suit for both nights. You only wear it for a few hours anyway. I do something similiar - bring one long skirt with 2 blouses.

Hubby usually wears a button-down or polo shirt with Dockers for Chops or Portofino. That's what 90% of the guys wear. There will probably be a guy or two wearing a jacket, but there will probably also be a guy or two wearing jeans.

For the record, I'm "that guy" wearing the suit. But, as you gathered from my last post, it's really the same "suit" as last night, but with a different shirt and tie. If someone notices, good for them...but what do I care?

One white-tie tux

One suit with add'tl matching slacks

An assortment of shirts and ties

Enjoy!

As has been stated here before, jackets (and especially ties) are not required in the specialty restaurants. Since the OP plans on dressing up for the formal nights I might suggest bring one suit with two different shirts and ties to switch it up. Bring one or two pair of nice slacks to mix and match with your suit if you want a smart casual look. My advice? Relax, you're on vacation!

From the Royal website, and the same goes for Chops...

"We suggest smart casual attire in Portofino - jackets for men, dresses or pantsuits for women. On formal evenings, formal attire is also appropriate in the restaurant. This includes suits and ties or tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for women."

Unless you are traveling with your Mommy and are under 18, these guidelines pertain to you! Yes, Royal will serve guests that are improperly or under dressed, it gives the wait staff something to laugh about in the back!

Actually, there is no excuse if you are under 18, either. The dress code states:

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000VWydSzoaIyOTNpPXprOX3U4:12h3g0fq2?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqType=faq

Actually, there is no excuse if you are under 18, either. The dress code states:

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

"Parental GUIDANCE", "easy GUIDELINES"??? Do we see a pattern?

What they mean is that if you want to dress formal, you may. I'm just trying to make a point. Not everyone is going to dress the same, and what someone wears doesn't bother me at all. I don't spend my dinner checking out other outfits. I spend it talking with my loved ones and enjoying my dinner. People put way too much emphasis on what other people wear.

What RCI really means is:

There ARE three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal.

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

Suggestions are EXAMPLES of what is expected minimum for each evening.

They go on to say:

If you do not want to follow the dress code, go to the Windjammer. This is NOT a suggestion ! ! !

Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner. Casual dress dining is available nightly in the Windjammer Cafe. And be aware you'll also NEED smart casual attire for some of our specialty restaurants.

And notice: You'll NEED Smart Casual Attire for specialty restaurants.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do;jsessionid=0000Q-iRs7cYxZUP2hzWM-pIYV2:12hdhu6tq

What RCI really means is:

There ARE three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal.

They go on to say:

If you do not want to follow the dress code, go to the Windjammer. This is NOT a suggestion ! ! !

Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner. Casual dress dining is available nightly in the Windjammer Cafe. And be aware you'll also NEED smart casual attire for some of our specialty restaurants.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do;jsessionid=0000Q-iRs7cYxZUP2hzWM-pIYV2:12hdhu6tq

:confused: I'm confused here. So do tell... you actually are privy to what RCI means? Also, where exactly does RCI specifically say, "If you do not want to follow the dress code, go to the Windjammer. This is not a suggestion! ! !" Or is that another thing you're privy to?

You really should put on your signature your upcoming cruises. :)

I just dont understand why everyone cares so much about what the other guy wears to dinner on a cruise, when we are home and go to a restaurant, who cares what the table next to you have on. As long a you are dressed decent who cares.

Even in church now, anything is pretty well accepted, again as long as it is decent.

Enjoy your cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:confused: I'm confused here. So do tell... you actually are privy to what RCI means? Also, where exactly does RCI specifically say, "If you do not want to follow the dress code, go to the Windjammer. This is not a suggestion! ! !" Or is that another thing you're privy to?

You really should put on your signature your upcoming cruises. :)

Why? I don't see yours.

Another example of a NON-CONFORMIST wanting to 'make rules as we go' and 'twist the meaning of existing rules'.

I just dont understand why everyone cares so much about what the other guy wears to dinner on a cruise, when we are home and go to a restaurant, who cares what the table next to you have on. As long a you are dressed decent who cares.

Even in church now, anything is pretty well accepted, again as long as it is decent.

Enjoy your cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because RCI prints a dress code. Do they print a dress code for your chuch?

From the Royal website, and the same goes for Chops...

"We suggest smart casual attire in Portofino - jackets for men, dresses or pantsuits for women. On formal evenings, formal attire is also appropriate in the restaurant. This includes suits and ties or tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for women."

Unless you are traveling with your Mommy and are under 18, these guidelines pertain to you! Yes, Royal will serve guests that are improperly or under dressed, it gives the wait staff something to laugh about in the back!

The most important part of their statement is the word "suggest". It doesn't say "required." If you really think the crew is laughing about how people dress you're probably the one their laughing at.

Because RCI prints a dress code. Do they print a dress code for your chuch?

If God doesn't care, why should you? :confused:

Me, non-conformist? Hardly. I consider myself mostly conservative with a twinge of libertarian.

So do tell... can you answer my prior questions? Guess not?

FYI, Voyager 1/24/10 and Adventure 5/2/10, so far.....

If God doesn't care, why should you? :confused:

Me, non-conformist? Hardly. I consider myself mostly conservative with a twinge of libertarian.

So do tell... can you answer my prior questions? Guess not?

FYI, Voyager 1/24/10 and Adventure 5/2/10, so far.....

Not sure which question you are referring to. But I'll try, again:

They go on to say:

The most important part of their statement is the word "suggest". It doesn't say "required." If you really think the crew is laughing about how people dress you're probably the one their laughing at.

And again, "Suggestions are merely examples of what is expected". When they post "shorts, T-shirts, jeans, etc." in the "suggestions", then those items would be acceptable.

[quote name='Ohunion Cruzers']Not sure which question you are referring to. [/quote]

To clarify, there were 3 questions.

So do tell... you actually are privy to what RCI means?

Also, where exactly does RCI specifically say, "If you do not want to follow the dress code, go to the Windjammer. This is not a suggestion! ! !" Or is that another thing you're privy to?

And finally, if God doesn't care, why should you?

[quote name='lcguy']:confused: I'm confused here. So do tell... you actually are privy to what RCI means? [COLOR=red]([/COLOR][COLOR=red]This is not a question. It is a statement, followed by a question mark. But we are not supposed to comment about spelling and punctuation - so I won't[/COLOR][COLOR=red])[/COLOR] Also, where exactly does RCI specifically say, "If you do not want to follow the dress code, go to the Windjammer. This is not a suggestion! ! !" Or is that another thing you're privy to[COLOR=red]?(If you can use the logic to say there is no dress code because RCI uses the word [I]suggest, [/I]then since [I]suggest[/I] is not used , by RCI, when directing those who want to dress casually to the Windjammer, should also apply.)[/COLOR]

You really should put on your signature your upcoming cruises. :)[/quote]

Answers embedded above.

[quote name='lcguy']To clarify, there were 3 questions.

So do tell... you actually are privy to what RCI means?

Also, where exactly does RCI specifically say, "If you do not want to follow the dress code, go to the Windjammer. This is not a suggestion! ! !" Or is that another thing you're privy to?

And finally, if God doesn't care, why should you?[/quote]

Are you going to church on the cruise? This has nothing to do with cruise attire. Render to Ceasar what is Ceasar's, and to God what is God's.

[quote name='Ohunion Cruzers']Answers embedded above.[/quote]
[I]:confused: I'm confused here. So do tell... you actually are privy to what RCI means? [COLOR=red]([/COLOR][COLOR=red]This is not a question. It is a statement, followed by a question mark. But we are not supposed to comment about spelling and punctuation - so I won't[/COLOR][COLOR=red])[/COLOR] Also, where exactly does RCI specifically say, "If you do not want to follow the dress code, go to the Windjammer. This is not a suggestion! ! !" Or is that another thing you're privy to[COLOR=red]?(If you can use the logic to say there is no dress code because RCI uses the word [I]suggest, [/I]then since [I]suggest[/I] is not used , by RCI, when directing those who want to dress casually to the Windjammer, should also apply.)[/COLOR]

Hmm... You've really gotta be kidding me. The first was certainly a question. In no way would I make a statement that you are privy to what RCI's intention was.

You again avoided answering the second question which was... "Also, where exactly does RCI specifically say, "If you do not want to follow the dress code, go to the Windjammer. This is not a suggestion! ! !""

And what you wrote really doesn't make sense. Sorry. Are you saying that if someone wants to dress casually, they are not allowed in the MDR at all? There's no logic at play here at all.

[/I]

[quote name='Ohunion Cruzers']Are you going to church on the cruise? This has nothing to do with cruise attire. Render to Ceasar what is Ceasar's, and to God what is God's.[/quote]
Wow... in the context of what the topic is, that's pretty disturbing. Should we not put what is God's above all others? Are you really serious, or do you just like to keep things stirred up? Oh, and we're not supposed to comment on spelling, etc. :rolleyes:

Archived