Are jackets required wear for men at Chops and Portofino's

Does this help anyone - post here on CC this evening regarding dress codes??

The Code: Royal Caribbean has formal, smart casual and casual nights. Formal attire includes suits and ties or tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for women. Smart casual attire includes jackets and ties for men and dresses or pantsuits for women. Casual attire includes sport shirts and slacks for men and sundresses or pantsuits for women.

Number of Formal Nights: Three-, four- and five-night cruises have one formal night; 6- to 12-night cruises have two formal nights; and 13- and 14-night cruises have three formal nights.

Nightly Casual Option: The Windjammer cafe is the laid-back evening choice -- though it still has some restrictions: No bare feet are allowed. Tank tops and caps are not allowed during dinner.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: No bare feet, caps, tank tops or bathing suits are permitted in the dining room. Shorts are not allowed during dinner.

From the keyboard of a Royal Caribbean spokesperson: "As long as the jeans are tasteful with no blemishing, tears or mis-sizing, the guest will more than likely make it through the doors. In this day and age of fashion, there are designer jeans that are very expensive. As a contemporary cruise line, we will not limit our guests on their choice to put their best 'fashion foot' forward as long as it meets our basic standards below. The maitre d', however, does reserve the right to request that an inappropriately dressed guest change their attire before being seated."

[quote name='dbowe5']Does this help anyone - post here on CC this evening regarding dress codes??

The Code: Royal Caribbean has formal, smart casual and casual nights. Formal attire includes suits and ties or tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for women. Smart casual attire includes jackets and ties for men and dresses or pantsuits for women. Casual attire includes sport shirts and slacks for men and sundresses or pantsuits for women.

Number of Formal Nights: Three-, four- and five-night cruises have one formal night; 6- to 12-night cruises have two formal nights; and 13- and 14-night cruises have three formal nights.

Nightly Casual Option: The Windjammer cafe is the laid-back evening choice -- though it still has some restrictions: No bare feet are allowed. Tank tops and caps are not allowed during dinner.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: No bare feet, caps, tank tops or bathing suits are permitted in the dining room. Shorts are not allowed during dinner.

From the keyboard of a Royal Caribbean spokesperson: "As long as the jeans are tasteful with no blemishing, tears or mis-sizing, the guest will more than likely make it through the doors. In this day and age of fashion, there are designer jeans that are very expensive. As a contemporary cruise line, we will not limit our guests on their choice to put their best 'fashion foot' forward as long as it meets our basic standards below. The maitre d', however, does reserve the right to request that an inappropriately dressed guest change their attire before being seated."[/quote]

I looked on RCI's website. And while it does state: [I]No bare feet, caps, tank tops or bathing suits are permitted in the dining room. Shorts are not allowed during dinner, [/I]there is no wording about [I]Written Restrictions [COLOR=red]and Jeans[/COLOR]:[/I]

Yes, and I have ae-mail from RCI that states jeans are not acceptable. So?????

[quote name='lcguy']Wow... in the context of what the topic is, that's pretty disturbing. Should we not put what is God's above all others? Are you really serious, or do you just like to keep things stirred up? Oh, and we're not supposed to comment on spelling, etc. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Just trying to keep this on the subject and not wandering off to another topic.

[quote name='lcguy']:confused: I'm confused here. So do tell... you actually are privy to what RCI means? Also, where exactly does RCI specifically say, "If you do not want to follow the dress code, go to the Windjammer. This is not a suggestion! ! !" Or is that another thing you're privy to?

You really should put on your signature your upcoming cruises. :)[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I couldn't find the printed statement either about being forced to eat at the Windjammer. It could be some people have inside info that the commoners don't? [/FONT]

[quote name='1 HappyCruiser'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I couldn't find the printed statement either about being forced to eat at the Windjammer. It could be some people have inside info that the commoners don't? [/FONT][/quote]

Click the link:

[URL]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do;jsessionid=0000Q-iRs7cYxZUP2hzWM-pIYV2:12hdhu6tq[/URL]

And you'll find:

Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner. [COLOR=red][I][B]Casual dress dining is available nightly in the Windjammer Cafe[/B].[/I][/COLOR] And be aware you'll also need smart casual attire for some of our specialty restaurants.

Royal Caribbean's web site clearly states a "dress code." It does not say the dress code is merely a "suggestion" - it provides suggestions on how to dress to comply with the dress code. At the end of the Dress Code FAQ (on Royal's website) it states: "We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children." If the Dress Code was truly intended to be "optional" or "only a suggestion" they would not ask for people's cooperation in observing the guidelines.

However, it is equally true that Royal Caribbean very rarely [I]enforces[/I] the dress code. While some people seem to want jeans banned in the dining room for dinner, it is also false that this is an official policy (i.e. there is nothing in writing on the website or on the ship stating that jeans are not permitted).

With these dress code threads often people seem to pick one extreme side to argue (that reflects their personal desire) whereas the truth is more in the middle.

[quote name='Ohunion Cruzers']Click the link:

[URL]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do;jsessionid=0000Q-iRs7cYxZUP2hzWM-pIYV2:12hdhu6tq[/URL]

And you'll find:

Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner. [COLOR=red][I][B]Casual dress dining is available nightly in the Windjammer Cafe[/B].[/I][/COLOR] And be aware you'll also need smart casual attire for some of our specialty restaurants.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]As I read the statement it doesn't say I must eat at the Windjammer but it's an option if I wish to dress in shorts, t shirt or bathing suit. Again, another suggestion for an optional dining location. I do agree that T shirts & bathing suits don't belong in the MDR. My personal choice is jeans & golf shirt & have never been turned away, so I guess it must be OK- at least with the cruise line.
[/FONT]

[quote name='1 HappyCruiser'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]As I read the statement it doesn't say I must eat at the Windjammer but it's an option if I wish to dress in shorts, t shirt or bathing suit. Again, another suggestion for an optional dining location. I do agree that T shirts & bathing suits don't belong in the MDR. My personal choice is jeans & golf shirt & have never been turned away, so I guess it must be OK- at least with the cruise line.[/FONT]
[/quote]

It does not say that it IS a suggestion...so, therefore it must mean casual dressed passengers are to eat in the Windjammer. This would be the same logic some folks use to say the dress code is only a suggestion, even though RCI is providing EXAMPLES of what is acceptable.

[quote name='Ohunion Cruzers']It does not say that it IS a suggestion...so, therefore it must mean casual dressed passengers are to eat in the Windjammer. This would be the same logic some folks use to say the dress code is only a suggestion, even though RCI is providing EXAMPLES of what is acceptable.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Well all I can say is that myself and many others treat it as a suggestion and RCI is comfortable with our interpretation since we've never been turned away for the way we translate their meaning of the guidelines. I tend to be on the more casual side & yourself on the more formal side but I don't hold that against you for the way you choose to dress. [/FONT]

Seems funny how much energy is expended on "dress" when proper behavior should be much more important to a large group of travelers spending a week together in a contained environment. I live in Hawaii, and don't own a suit, much less a tie, but when dining on formal nights I wear dress slacks and shoes and a designer aloha shirt that would be suitable for dinner with the president. I've never felt any discouragement from the maitre d' or wait staff, as they can clearly see that this is MY native costume and I am a their guest.
Aloha,
Pete

I truely appreciate all the feedback regarding my post. After reading all the replies I feel that some of the respondants need to take a chill pill. As for the wife and I we intend to go to Portofino's and Chops in our underwear. Nothing in the RCCL suggested attire says anything about underwear. So thanks to all.

[quote name='JAYRAY1259']I truely appreciate all the feedback regarding my post. After reading all the replies I feel that some of the respondants need to take a chill pill. As for the wife and I we intend to go to Portofino's and Chops in our underwear. Nothing in the RCCL suggested attire says anything about underwear. So thanks to all.[/quote]
LOl!:p Too funny!

[quote name='Gonzo70']Royal Caribbean's web site clearly states a "dress code." It does not say the dress code is merely a "suggestion" - it provides suggestions on how to dress to comply with the dress code. At the end of the Dress Code FAQ (on Royal's website) it states: "We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children." If the Dress Code was truly intended to be "optional" or "only a suggestion" they would not ask for people's cooperation in observing the guidelines.

However, it is equally true that Royal Caribbean very rarely [I]enforces[/I] the dress code. While some people seem to want jeans banned in the dining room for dinner, it is also false that this is an official policy (i.e. there is nothing in writing on the website or on the ship stating that jeans are not permitted).

With these dress code threads often people seem to pick one extreme side to argue (that reflects their personal desire) whereas the truth is more in the middle.[/quote]

Excellent post!

It really is pointless to argue over a dress code that is rarely, if ever, actually enforced.

I have yet to see anyone be turned away from the dining room due to their clothing on any of my cruises with Royal or Carnival.

[quote name='JAYRAY1259']I truely appreciate all the feedback regarding my post. After reading all the replies I feel that some of the respondants need to take a chill pill. As for the wife and I we intend to go to Portofino's and Chops in our underwear. Nothing in the RCCL suggested attire says anything about underwear. So thanks to all.[/quote]

Considering what some pax wear you may be a bit overdressed.:p

[quote name='Ohunion Cruzers']It does not say that it IS a suggestion...so, therefore it must mean [B]casual dressed passengers are to eat in the Windjammer. [/B]This would be the same logic some folks use to say the dress code is only a suggestion, even though RCI is providing EXAMPLES of what is acceptable.[/quote]
Hmmm... I wonder why they have CASUAL nights in the MDR if casual dressed passengers are to eat in the Windjammer??? :confused::confused::confused:
What is one to do? Sounds like you're banished to the WJ if you're casually dressed. LOL

[quote name='lcguy']Hmmm... I wonder why they have CASUAL nights in the MDR if casual dressed passengers are to eat in the Windjammer??? :confused::confused::confused:
What is one to do? Sounds like you're banished to the WJ if you're casually dressed. LOL[/quote]

Just don't wear your T-Shirts, Shorts or Bathing Suit to the MDR.

Click:

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][URL="http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000votJ6_mr1_LPog2Yd-YNQL6:12h3g0fq2;jsessionid=0000Otz_MtjJCpHtElRpiSKki_j:12h3g0fq2?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqType=faq"][U][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do;jsessionid=0000Q-iRs7cYxZUP2hzWM-pIYV2:12hdhu6tq[/U][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL]

And you'll find:

Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner. Casual dress dining is available nightly in the Windjammer Cafe. And be aware you'll also need smart casual attire for some of our specialty restaurants.

[quote name='Ohunion Cruzers']Just don't wear your T-Shirts, Shorts or Bathing Suit to the MDR.

Click:

[URL="http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000votJ6_mr1_LPog2Yd-YNQL6:12h3g0fq2;jsessionid=0000Otz_MtjJCpHtElRpiSKki_j:12h3g0fq2?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=255&faqSubjectId=334&faqType=faq"][U][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do;jsessionid=0000Q-iRs7cYxZUP2hzWM-pIYV2:12hdhu6tq[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/U][/URL]

And you'll find:

Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner. Casual dress dining is available nightly in the Windjammer Cafe. And be aware you'll also need smart casual attire for some of our specialty restaurants.[/quote]
Yes, I've quoted that one before, so I find it ironic that you would too. Note it doesn't mention JEANS??? LOL

[quote name='lcguy']Yes, I've quoted that one before, so I find it ironic that you would too. Note it doesn't mention JEANS??? LOL[/quote]

Using that logic, then, I don't see jeans mentioned here, either....

[I]Suggested guidelines for these nights are:
[/I][SIZE=2][I][IMG]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/con_bulletgray_ico.gif[/IMG][/I][/SIZE][SIZE=2][I]Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women[/I][/SIZE][SIZE=2][I][IMG]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/con_bulletgray_ico.gif[/IMG][/I][/SIZE][SIZE=2][I]Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women[/I][/SIZE][SIZE=2][I][IMG]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/con_bulletgray_ico.gif[/IMG][/I][/SIZE][SIZE=2][I]Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women[/I][/SIZE]

Check it out....

[quote name='Gonzo70']Royal Caribbean's web site clearly states a "dress code." It does not say the dress code is merely a "suggestion" - it provides suggestions on how to dress to comply with the dress code. At the end of the Dress Code FAQ (on Royal's website) it states: "We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children." [B]If the Dress Code was truly intended to be "optional" or "only a suggestion" they would not ask for people's cooperation in observing the guidelines[/B].

.[/quote]

[B]If the Dress Code was truly intended to be "optional" [COLOR=red](required[/COLOR]) or "only a suggestion" they would not ask for people's cooperation in observing the guidelines ([COLOR=red]they would tell, expect and have consequences in place[/COLOR])[/B]

[B]Manage or parent from a place of strenght by letting others know what is required and leaving No room for interpretation. Successful Parenting and Managing 101! Lot of clothes are appropriate but not suggested such as military , cultural or even a blouse.[/B]

[quote name='kooljamming'][B]If the Dress Code was truly intended to be "optional" [COLOR=red](required[/COLOR]) or "only a suggestion" they would not ask for people's cooperation in observing the guidelines ([COLOR=red]they would tell, expect and have consequences in place[/COLOR])[/B]

[B]Manage or parent from a place of strenght by letting others know what is required and leaving No room for interpretation. Successful Parenting and Managing 101! Lot of clothes are appropriate but not suggested such as military or cultural. [/B][/quote]

They figure most of us are smart enough to follow rules, as they set forth and not look for excuses to misinterpret or twist the intended meanings of those rules.

[quote name='Ohunion Cruzers']They [B]figure[/B] most of us are smart enough to follow rules, as they set forth and not look for excuses to misinterpret or twist the intended meanings of those rules.[/quote]

Are you sure? I figure you are on the board of directors and know their intent:confused: A multi-million dollar corporation 'figures' as in A$$ume, rules will be followed. I guess that's exactly what GM did:) When A$$ets are involved, it's best to be clear on expectation and consequence which shows $trenght.

[quote name='kooljamming']Are you sure? I figure you are on the board of directors and know their intent:confused: A multi-million dollar corporation 'figures' as in A$$ume, rules will be followed. I guess that's exactly what GM did:) When A$$ets are involved, it's best to be clear on expectation and consequence which shows $trenght.[/quote]

You are very astute, you are able to recognize a board member. Question for you... Is A$$ete the feminine version of A$$? Just curious.

Archived