Reaction to Less than Glowing Reviews

I do like those!!:)

I guess I should rethink my own thoughts.

When life gives you Vodka, have a good time!:D

Steve

LOL Steve, there ya go!!!!! When life hands you lemons, ask "where the hell's the vodka?" :D

A less than glowing review can make some people question their decision to have cruised the same line. That'll make them angry. I have read how people will defend poor quality food with lines like "At least it's better than me doing the cooking!". This is obvious rationalization.

To be honest, the flaming of negative reviews on CCL is lower than it is over at the other cruise boards (check it out for yourself). SOme people are so convinced that the xyz cruise will be perfect, that they psych themselves into ignoring cold poor quality food, haphazard service etc.

Others use the boards to avoid dissonance (regret about purchasing their cruise). Then, you'll get threads that look like talk radio- people that parrot each other's praise, then jump on the one person who comes and disagrees

It kind of reminds me a of my US car bashing sister. She swore that US cars were junk. So, she got a Toyota, which turned out to be a lemon. SHe never admitted that the things was a lemon, hey, it's a Toyota- they make great cars, eh? Whether you go on the Chevy or Bently of cruise lines, there's bound to be a lemon in there somewhere.

I try to as factual as possible with my reviews, and that does bother some.There is really nothing informative about a post from someone who says "the cruise was fabulous" or "the cruise was terrible". Now if either one of those had specific reasons to support that, hey, we are in business, that's informative.

I just got off the Legend was there some bad on this cruise ....sure there was. Over 500 cranky senoirs. How Carnival would not let us Get off the ship in Costa rica before the ships tours even though it was Docked. Some long lines at peak times in the buffet same for getting into main dining room at night. Very minor and when i compare that to all the good fun and great service and relaxation we had it comes out to 90% good 10 % bad. So when I wrote my review it reflected more on the 90%. Hey if some put want to put their expectations in the sky for there cruise and get pissed when they fall short. Well all I can say is that it must really suck to be them....just my humble opinion :D

This may sound harsh, but when reading a review,for researching purposes, I could really careless if the person had a good or bad time. I just want the facts. Positive and Negative=Balanced.

I hope people have a good time, but that shouldnt be the prime focus on reading someone review, unless the reader is wanting the warm fuzzies.

I do like those!!:)

I guess I should rethink my own thoughts.

When life gives you Vodka, have a good time!:D

Steve

Soooo, there is something that will make this guy ABSOLUTELY happy!! :D

I think I can explain (in my opinion) why people get like that:

For instance, unvalors review on the Valor- (He did eventually agree on a post on his topic that he was angry when he wrote it and needed to blow off steam) he used some terminology that I felt was very harsh and rude. Granted this person is entitled to their opinion and that is what this board is all about, but to use the word "slop" regarding the food, and saying that the food was adeqate such as he felt the same level as McDonalds (how could you even compare McDonalds food which serves burgers, nuggets and fries to cruise ship food which gives variety of all kinds), then the person says that "Carnival is at the bottom of the barrel" (when in fact that was their first cruise how could a comment be made like this when you cannot compare it to other cruise ships and cruise lines, the Valor was their first cruise), then the person complains about the long lines and such....When you take a cruise and know the size of the ship and the total amount of passengers on the ship, how could you just not know there will be lines for things? I am only using this person as an example as it was the last post made regarding this subject issue.

What I am trying to say is that sometimes people post things and not think about what they written, that although they may be annoyed and angry and disappointed from their cruise, its just a matter of the way we write and say things that get to people and causes others to "attack" the post. I don't think people write things to be rude and to "attack" the post what causes this problem I think is the way things are written.

Actually I love hearing negatives on a cruise, because being on 29 cruises myself, there never has been a perfect cruise, never will be. I like to hear others opinions as I find things wrong on ships also. Everybody's tastes are different and I always keep that into account, but do love hearing about people's experiences and wish that we all could have that perfect cruise, but like I said, that just won't happen. Nothing in this world is perfect.

I love cruising, and the way I handled things with unvalor, I tried to give that person tips on how to try to avoid the lines the best way that I have learned and offer my advice on such issues.

This is a great board, I hate it when things get steamed up between one another but sometimes this is caused by the way we word our posts. :)

This is a great board, I hate it when things get steamed up between one another but sometimes this is caused by the way we word our posts. :)

When someone comes on in 'attack' mode...when you can feel the steam coming out of their ears, it immediately will result in everyone else becoming defensive. To me, it's seems a reactive human response.

DANG!

I went out to shovel and missed the good stuff!!!! ;)

What hecks going on with you folks....what did I miss "this time"?

You all could at least have the decency to try and NOT get a thread pulled ;)

Most of us on here are very cautious when a new poster has a VERY FIRST post with nothing but negativity about a ship. Why weren't there other posts before that? ALso there are some "imposters"who love "Stirring the pot" and creating a mass frenzy of our responses to their posts as a form of attention.

Most of the time, but not all, they are easily detected.

Because (I was on the cruise to nowhere) #1, I didn't realize this web site was here. I've never checked out a cruise before getting on. I will now. #2 I felt like my "complaint" was more than just itching about a tough lobster tail. #3 I didn't know (and still don't) what else I can do about the lack of honesty from CCL. Reading the posts on this site have given me alot of insight about what to expect. It makes me feel pretty good when others think CCL mistreated those on the HOLIDAY. Good grief, I've never done any complaining like this in my life. I feel like my grandmother. :eek:

All in all, I've visited several threads and given good reviews about some Carnival cruises I've been on, all since Monday, Jan 3. I've spent more time on my computer since that cruise than I did in one whole month last year. I haven't even been to the other sites for other lines yet.

Yes. I was amazed at a personal attack on my recent post about illness during our just completed Carnival cruise. I was simply relating a personal experience that was not linked to sea sickness. I concluded that some people just live to be argumentative. It won't hinder us from planning our 8th cruise.

We'd probably sail Carnival again but would be more selective about what we eat.

Guest Time2gocruzn

Personally....I like to get the FACTUAL info out of a review.

I pick my cruise by the destination and price. I guarantee you that no matter what ship I am on..I WILL have a good time if I have to die trying, lol:)

It would have to be pretty bad to make me say some of the things I have read here. I always keep in mind if these are the type of person who can make the best of any situation, or serial complainers who are impossible to make happy, and you have to take in the state of mind they are in when they are ripping these reviews off. Which OF COURSE is pretty hard to tell in a setting like this. So I just skim thru, looking for the facts!:)

I like all the reviews good and bad. I feel everyone has a right to most the opinion.

If it's a new poster I read the review knowing that they are new and haven't been reading cc as long as I so they didn't know what to expect.

That doesn't mean they are wrong or right it's up to the person reading the review to understand this and take it were it's coming from. As we do in everyday life.

I pick my cruise by the destination and price. I guarantee you that no matter what ship I am on..I WILL have a good time if I have to die trying, lol:)

QUOTE]

I'd like to cruise with you dj :D

When I came back from the Miracle...which I thought was awesome, there was a review by someone on that same ship on that same week, and you'd swear we were on different planets, let alone the same cruise....it's amazing...she found the food good at best...I found it 'only good' at worst (did that make sense?. :confused: ..you get my drift ;) )...she never got a chair by the pool, I got one every day..LEGALLY I might add (I am NOT a chair hog)...she found the shows so-so, I found them great...she found the crew misreable, I found them friendly...she didn't even like the other passengers. When you hear a review like that..all negative, it makes you wonder a little, doesn't it? But then again, I guess that would mean a positively glowing review should make you wonder as well :confused:.

Maybe the best advise would be to read the review and only take 50% stock in the accuracy, because it's all relative.

All I know is, if Carnival is indeed, the bottom of the barrel...I can't imagine in my wildest dreams how awesome any other line must be.

I think you have a very valid concern. I wrote about my and my family/friend's experience on an excursion in Belize. It was our experience good or bad, it happen to us. I've never even mentioned the excursion operator's name as we felt they did an overall excellent job except for the the broken down buses and then the comedy of events that almost made us miss our ship.

I even wrote the review and laughed about it as our family did. We got together that night to relive the adventure and laughed and laughed. At times I was sobered because I was responsible to 30 people who almost missed the ship. So I shared the story with the cruisecritic readers. After sharing the story I was verbally attacked for being so ignorant and stupid. :eek: Whoa, I was shocked. I stayed off the boards for awhile, a little shell shocked. Needless to say I have been VERY careful what I share. This is my try again, I guess. Please be sensative to others. It's ok to share both types of experiences.

I want to hear the good and bad and I'll make a decision as to what is right for me. Thanks for bringing up the point.

If someone has a bad experience I just want to say to them, "I'm sorry you experienced that, hope it is better next time." Thanks for letting me vent. Happy cruising everyone, cuz I know I will be. :)

. I've never even mentioned the excursion operator's name as we felt they did an overall excellent job except for the the broken down buses and then the comedy of events that almost made us miss our ship.

This is the exact type of thing that is wrong IMO. Why would you want another cruiser to possibly miss the ship because of "Buses" breaking down. A single vehical is one thing but more than one is an issue.If the tour had a problem either tell us or don't even mention it. Just like the quicky post's...Just back from XXX, had a terrible time will post in a few days....

Steve

I would have gladly told anyone who wanted to know the tour operator's name. I just told the experience to spark discussion. He stayed with us the whole time to try to make sure we got on the ship, even when we were running to the pier.

I agree it is all in the tone. In the very first post Unvalor made, he realized he wrote the review in haste. Many people, including myself, kept asking him specific questions about the review or about things he did not mention. He would either ignore the questions or become defensive. He could never back up his claims. Though he realized his tone in the first post, he kept feeling the need to post the SAME review all over the CCL boards. What's up with that? Even then, he would avoid the questions or become defensive.

JMHO, but when I read a review with negatives, I don't want to poster to be in an angry tone. If I have questions about the cruise, I want my questions answered. I think most people on here want the same. For example, unvalor called the food slop. Do we really believe that? No! If it were my review, I would state it as such: " The food did not meet my expectations. I was expecting upscale meals in the Lido and instead found an ordinary buffet." See how that changes the tone of the review?

Maybe when we write a review or post on here, we should be prepared to support our claims in an adult, civil manner.:)

I would have gladly told anyone who wanted to know the tour operator's name. I just told the experience to spark discussion. He stayed with us the whole time to try to make sure we got on the ship, even when we were running to the pier.

So what is the operators name? I will be there in a week and I do have a tour booked.

Steve

Archived