What are your thoughts about TA, PVP, and CC's?

jkbecker4

I am thinking about becoming a travel agent, personal vacation planner, and cruise consultant.

For me, I absolutely love researching exciting vacations and cruises. I love finding the ultimate excursions! I could research all day 5 days a week and love it. I have the knowledge of good web sites and have been able to organize some awesome vacations for outside family and my own.This would be just some extra cash for our family for vacations, unexpected home repairs and the such.

I am concerned as to--

Is there respect in the travel industry and the customer for this profession?

Is there really a market for this any longer?

Are there really any differences in a TA, PVP, or CC?

My DH and I will be cruising in less than 3 weeks and I was wondering should I check with a Carnival Rep to ask questions and get ideas while on the cruise?

What are your thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

Kris

You have some interesting choices there.

You need to bear in mind that all three vocations pay very little.

People with these jobs take almost as much abuse as cruise ship staff.

Most of your clientele will NOT be looking for the most exotic or exciting trip.

Nearly all are looking for the absolute CHEAPEST trip they can find.

You will be amazed to learn what the general public is willing to do to save a buck.

I honestly do not think you would make much money doing this and feel you would receive absolutely no respect. I hate to sound negative, but agree with Philip217. Save this skill for your family vacations and find a better paying job with a future. You won't make any money doing this.

All you need is one bitter, unhappy client, even if it's not your fault, and they can make your life miserable. They don't have to be right to file a lawsuit and you can be ruined financially trying to defend yourself.

My TA has actually offered to take me under his wing, so to speak and train me. I also forgot to mention that I am a type of person that loves the challenge of finding a GREAT deal! And this is not really about the money. It will be for our fun money only. I guess I wasn't expecting a huge negative response.

Is there anything positive about this type of profession?

My TA has actually offered to take me under his wing, so to speak and train me.
So here's one way to look at it: what's the downside? If he isn't asking you for money to train you, then what better way to explore the job and see if you like it? If it turns out to be awful, you can quit.

I say go for it!

AND if the deal doesn't work with your friend, do not fall for some of the multi-level marketing TA programs. They also sell you on the concept of free travel, etc, etc.

There isn't a lot of money to be made and I kinda figure true TA's are slowly becoming a thing of the past.

Archived