Phone roaming charges

Just like to know if anyone has used their cell phones on the ship. We have A.T.T. mobile and the people we are sailing with have T-Mobile. What kind of charges do you incur using your phones at sea? Also at what point does the phone switch to the ships sat/dish? i.e can you still make regular calls while ship is docked in Port Canaveral without roaming charges? Our friends have an elderly mother who they want to keep tabs on while we are on a 7 day western cruise on the FOS. We leave Nov. 1st. Any feedback would be appreciated, Thanks.

Just like to know if anyone has used their cell phones on the ship. We have A.T.T. mobile and the people we are sailing with have T-Mobile. What kind of charges do you incur using your phones at sea? Also at what point does the phone switch to the ships sat/dish? i.e can you still make regular calls while ship is docked in Port Canaveral without roaming charges? Our friends have an elderly mother who they want to keep tabs on while we are on a 7 day western cruise on the FOS. We leave Nov. 1st. Any feedback would be appreciated, Thanks.

I don't know about AT&T or T Mobile, but I think Sprint is around $2.95 per minute at sea. In US port, it works just like it would on land. Texting was around $.40 each (all of these prices are on top of your normal bill).

I have Verizon and per their website:

On ship 2.49 per minute

Some of the Caribbean (USVI and ARUBA) ports 1.99 per minute

Text messages are .50 to send .05 to receive.

I have read about people receiving large bills from AT&T so the best advice is to check with AT&T beforehand.

Your best bet is to purchase an International calling card at a port where you will use it...find a payphone (they're at the docks!) and call home, if you must.

There's an emergency number that your family can call to get in touch with you on the ship, should the need arise.

Go with the thought that "no news is GOOD news!"

Just got back from Canada/New England cruise and had arranged international service for Canada but did not know it only applied when I was off the ship. On the ship (I have AT&T) it was $2.49. I called and they told me to avoid high rates to talk while in port and be sure and get a good distance from the ship so the ship's tower would not pick up your calls. My phone bill was $253.00!

I have Verizon and per their website:

On ship 2.49 per minute

Some of the Caribbean (USVI and ARUBA) ports 1.99 per minute

Text messages are .50 to send .05 to receive.

I have read about people receiving large bills from AT&T so the best advice is to check with AT&T beforehand.

Our son was on Serenade (Verizon cell) for 2 1/2 months and his cell charges are still catching up with us - charges as above. And you can't always be sure that they've turned off the ship's cell tower off when docked. MOst of the time, yes, but not always. We had a bunch of charges on the ship cell when they were in an Alaska port. He thought thte tower was off, and that he was on a shore tower, but it wasn't. It was a tender port, and there's apparently more leeway for the ship then, but I woudn't risk it. Check your cell for the roaming icon, and get off the ship and walk away from it to be safe. Note: if you're on the ship's tower, even checking your voicemail will cost you.

Archived