Car Finish damaged at Bayonne Parking Sept 2009

muknaw

I posted about this problem on the RCCL board. Some interesting responses.

RCCL refuses to get involved. - Cruise Critic Message Boards

You are exactly right in what you are asking. It is pretty amazing that any business who obtains a large share of their business from people parking in a lot that is designated for use by their customers would not be concerned about getting a problem such as this rectified. There are places in DC where folks get mugged while trying to shop and you better believe the shop owners are interested in getting the situation resolved. As a business owner to not be concerned is foolhardy. This park at your own risk in "a safe and secure lot" espoused by most on the other thread is baloney. I wonder if the $19 a day rate as opposed to the $12 a day rate at the Newark airport is where they make the money to pay the insurance rates for the claims. At least it appears that the Drydock is meeting its responsibility. But no one needs the hassle. You definitely saw first hand that anything RCI does or does not do is OK mentality on the other board. I bet there will be more than a few car covers sold after all of this discussion.

I just went to the RCL board and posted. I can't believe how nasty some of the RCL posters are. Kind of makes me gald I've never sailed on RCL before.

Well, day 2 and my car is still in the shop. If the guy doesn't call me by lunch time I'm calling him.

I did talk to the Kevin from News 12 yesterday morning, but they already did the story on Tuesday night.

I'm just still so mad about this that I can't even see sailing out of Bayonne again.

As a business owner I just don't understand how this problem can go on for more than 5 years. I realize Royal Caribbean is not responsible but you would think they would like to get involved due to the bad publicity. Unfortunately they rather say they are not aware of this issue. What I don't understand is how Central Parking and Bayonne Drydock cannot resolve this problem. How can it be cheaper to have your insurance company constantly pay claims rather than resolve the problem. This doesn't speak too highly of the insurance company either.

I posted this here rather than on the main RC thread because it was getting a little nasty with the people who haven't actually experienced this firsthand. In Oct 2006 my car was damaged. Yes Bayonne Drydock did eventually pay my claim after I turned it over to my insurance company. However, I was inconvenienced by not having my car for 3 days (I was originally told it would take 1 day) and it took 4 months before the claim was resolved to the point when I received my deductable back from the insurance company. After this ocurred in 2006 I sent letters to both the N.J. Division of Consumer Affairs and Better Busines Bureau who said thanks for making us aware of the problem but there is nothing we can do.

However, I was inconvenienced by not having my car for 3 days (I was originally told it would take 1 day) and it .

THANK YOU. I dropped my car off yesterday morning at 8:00 AM. He told me he TRY and have it done today. Still haven't heard back from him.

Why should I go through all this?

Yes Royal Caribbean and Celebrity do not own the port but they had NO problems working with Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale in making sure they spent $15 million dollars to make Terminal 18 big enough for Oasis of the Seas and that there would be adequate parking there for the 6,000 people the ship holds.

Anne Maria

Mr. Sullivan also paid our $500 auto shop bill Today. The Camary goes in on Monday. There may be some additional charges as the molding may be damaged !!!! Mr. Sullivan stated that this would not be a problem. At least he a man of his word !!!!

We will be on a cruise for 12 nights on the Explorer Nov 29. We would like to know if there would be any spraying during this time and where is the best place to park our Van.

Erica, could you find out and let us know. Thanks

Our car was damaged years ago and now after our 10/29 sailing. Mr. Sullivan returned my call and set up a company to come to my job and appraise it. The detail company was to call me within an hour after seeing my car on Monday. It is now Thursday and I have not heard anything. When it rains, the windshield is a mess...and I cant see clearly. I wonder what would happen if I ended up having an accident. I am parking the car until the windshield is repaired. I cannot believe that this goes on and on. I hope that Mr. Sullivan will replace my windshield wipers. I have 3 cruises booked for 2010, all from Bayonne, but I am having second thoughts about parking at the port.

We will be on a cruise for 12 nights on the Explorer Nov 29. We would like to know if there would be any spraying during this time and where is the best place to park our Van.

Erica, could you find out and let us know. Thanks

My advice would be to purchase an inexpensive car cover. I've known people who have done it and reported no problems.

Wow, I've been leaving messages for Kevin Sullivan at Bayonne Drydock and Anthony Caputo at the cruise port since the beginning of last week and no one will return my calls. I may have to pretend I'm a cruise with a damaged car to get any response out of these people. Stay tuned! Oasis of the Seas sort of took over everything at Cruise Critic but I'm back on this again.

We're cruising from Bayonne in April and will be purchasing a car cover before we go. If there's overspray, the car should be okay and, at the very least, it will stay reasonably clean.

Sometimes wind can blow a loose cover off of a car. It's a good idea to buy a cover that fits snugly with elastic. A cable and lock can also help keep a cover in place. ;)

Coming down from Canada in April 2010 for an RCL cruise. After reading this thread, w will likely play it safe and park at a hotel with sleep and park/shuttle program to the dock. We will be paying for a hotel anyway so it may be a way to simply offset the $20 day parking cost and keep a safer environment for my vehicle.

Perhaps CC could coordinate a class action suit against the PA and associated cruise lines, dry dock company on behalf of the effected cruisers for punitive damages/intentional negligence (direct damages aside - all parties involved now clearly are aware of this issue but continue to intentionally place our property in harms way without appropriate disclosure or taking reasonable steps to prevent future damages/losses/claims). Surely, theres a NJ ambulance chaser that would love to take up a case?

In the interim, for anyone with a car that is due for a paintjob - this ongoing situation is a prime opportunity for free body work maintenance!:cool:

This happened to a friend's car when he left for a cruise there a while ago.

My main concern to him was if the overspray is on your cars, then

you may be breathing it in as well! This is not your normal everyday house paint...it is highly carcinogenic.

I wonder if the dock there will be so quick to pay future medical bills that can

occur from exposure to the over spray. Furthermore, if they no we can see the paint.....what else is leaving their yard that cannot be seen or smelled?

I think this is a timebomb waiting to go off.

I also had a problem with parking at the port between October 16 and October 30th....didn't notice the problem until I got home because the car was obviously dirty from sitting outside. Kevin Sullivan, an Operations Mgr. at the dock has been completely unhelpful...won't return phone calls. I found on their website that the President of the Bayonne Drydock is Michael Cranston 201-424-2358 ex. 12. I just left him a message indicating that I intend to file a complaint with the Environmental Protection Agency due to their lack of responsiveness...(the form for doing so is easily found on the web).

I had the car clay barred at a detailing shop but they couldn't remove the paint from the blackout trim around the windows, etc. The estimate from the dealer is over $2000 to replace the parts.

I am sick about this...the car had only 28000 miles on it when it happened and there wasn't a mark on it anywhere prior to this.

We must stick together....I really hate to get my insurance company involved but it sounds like I might have to as we are mostly all getting the runaround from the Bayonne Dry Dock personnel.

For those worried about the overspray problem go to amazondotcom and type in disposable car covers. I just got one for my new honda van to cover uo for the March 7 sailing. It cost me $10.00 plus a couple dollars for shipping. Its called UIniversal Disposable Car Cover and is 12 feet by 24 feet.

Bermuda, Did you receive your inexpensive cover yet? Just curious if you think it will do the job? I will be most likely parking down there in Feb. and I am naturally concerned, as you are too. It's really hard to believe that a problem like this exists and for this period of time. Unreal.

Archived