Car Finish damaged at Bayonne Parking Sept 2009

muknaw

I am thrilled that things are going so well. I can tell you from hard learned experience that once the glass on a car is damaged, it is never the same. It may look OK but when you drive into the sun you will have a very hard time seeing out.

Some people tried car covers in our lot and found that the covers actually damaged some of the paint. Be careful!

Keeping our windshileds clean enough for safe driving is a huge issue but we've been able to buy some special car window clean at auto parts places.

That would be because they are the ones causing the damage! Do you think they would agree so quickly to paying for repairs if they didn't realize it was their responsibility?

They are not purposely spraying the cars. They are doing their work. They were there before Bayonne and the cruise lines decided to put cruise ships there and Central Parking decided to charge $19 a day for you to park there. All parties involved should have realized this was going to be a problem. It's been going on for at least 4 1/2 years. I would love to know how many cars have been damaged in that amount of time since these message boards are just a small percentage of what goes on.

I remember reading an article on the Cruise Critic about a cruise in 2005 where 300 passenger vehicles were damaged August 27 & 28, 2005. I thought they had remedied the problem because the issue seemed to die down here on the boards, but alas it's back again.

No we have to go through the aggravation of getting our cars repaired. Yes, they will be paid for but will our cars ever be the same again?

They are not purposely spraying the cars. They are doing their work. They were there before Bayonne and the cruise lines decided to put cruise ships there and Central Parking decided to charge $19 a day for you to park there. All parties involved should have realized this was going to be a problem. It's been going on for at least 4 1/2 years. I would love to know how many cars have been damaged in that amount of time since these message boards are just a small percentage of what goes on.

I remember reading an article on the Cruise Critic about a cruise in 2005 where 300 passenger vehicles were damaged August 27 & 28, 2005. I thought they had remedied the problem because the issue seemed to die down here on the boards, but alas it's back again.

No we have to go through the aggravation of getting our cars repaired. Yes, they will be paid for but will our cars ever be the same again?

You are so right about the difficulty in knowing how many cars were actually damaged. We know that paint didn't just fly through the air and fall on one of two cars. But how many of the owners of damaged cars post on CC? Of course the cars will never be the same. Would you want to buy a car that had this history (if you knew about it)? I don't think a local repair is ever so fine that it carries the same value as a car with the original factory paint. Just MHO.

If a car cover wrecks the paint, as someone just reported, then we need to abandon this parking lot until a garage is built. And with the development ongoing in Bayonne, that shouldn't be a hard do. We cruisers are certainly bringing dollars to fuel the rejuvenation of this area.

If you're pulling into a parking space and accidentally hit the bumper of a car in the adjacent space, were you doing anything wrong "on purpose"? No! Are you liable for the damage you caused? Of course! You don't have to be purposefully causing damage to be liable for it. That's why we have the word "accident".

By the way, this case goes far beyond accidental damage such as a fender bender. Many cars have been damaged in the past by their painting operation. Clearly they haven't taken sufficient precautions to eliminate or lessen the chance they will damage cars in the lot.

If you're pulling into a parking space and accidentally hit the bumper of a car in the adjacent space, were you doing anything wrong "on purpose"? No! Are you liable for the damage you caused?

You are correct but the cruiselines and Central Parking and the dockyard all have prior knowlege of this problem. So it's not an accident.

I think all parties involved need to find a way to correct this problem or we will not be sailing out of Bayonne again.

You are correct but the cruiselines and Central Parking and the dockyard all have prior knowlege of this problem. So it's not an accident.

I think all parties involved need to find a way to correct this problem or we will not be sailing out of Bayonne again.

You conveniently failed to quote the last paragraph of my post, which was:

By the way, this case goes far beyond accidental damage such as a fender bender. Many cars have been damaged in the past by their painting operation. Clearly they haven't taken sufficient precautions to eliminate or lessen the chance they will damage cars in the lot.

Not only that you're the one who said in prior posts:

I still don't know why they are made to be the BAD guys when they are just doing their jobs.

and:

They are not purposely spraying the cars. They are doing their work.

Again, I'm asking you why are they paying the damage claims if they're not liable. Don't you think they would be passing the buck to the port and RCI if they believed they were not responsible?

Again, I'm asking you why are they paying the damage claims if they're not liable. Don't you think they would be passing the buck to the port and RCI if they believed they were not responsible?

Actually I think they must have some deal going with RCI to be the BAD guys and take the fall. I mean if you owned a business and couldn't perform your duties because a new business moved in next door - how is that fair?

There's no way to control paint spray near a dock with the wind and weather conditions. Therefore there's no way to guaranteed cars won't be damaged unless the cars are parked indoors.

The cruise lines alerted passengers that were driving to Cape Liberty about all the road construction and paving near the pier and possibility of delays. Why weren't we notified about the possibility of paint overspray and damages to our car?

Actually I think they must have some deal going with RCI to be the BAD guys and take the fall. I mean if you owned a business and couldn't perform your duties because a new business moved in next door - how is that fair?

There's no way to control paint spray near a dock with the wind and weather conditions. Therefore there's no way to guaranteed cars won't be damaged unless the cars are parked indoors.

The cruise lines alerted passengers that were driving to Cape Liberty about all the road construction and paving near the pier and possibility of delays. Why weren't we notified about the possibility of paint overspray and damages to our car?

Yes, the "deal" is probably their lease which makes them the responsible party, not some sinister back room deal they worked out with RCI. I'd also wager that they really don't want someone making a complaint to the EPA about them failing to properly contain toxic materials used in their operations.

They certainly can make an effort to avoid damage to the cars. You stop the operation when the wind is blowing from a certain direction in excess of a certain speed. Of course that might make them miss contractual deadlines for completing their work and subject them to substantial penalties. They may have made the business decision that it is cheaper to pay the damage claims than miss their work deadlines.

By the way, my car was damaged by their operation several years ago, when RCI was not using the port year round. If there is a contractual provision prohibiting them from working while vehicles are parked there, they sure weren't honoring it.

By the way, my car was damaged by their operation several years ago

How did the repair come out? Do you still own the car?

when RCI was not using the port year round. If there is a contractual provision prohibiting them from working while vehicles are parked there, they sure weren't honoring it.

Now they are using the port year round and Celebrity Summit will be there for 6 months starting in 2010, so then what will they (they meaning all parties involved) do?

In the past Celebrity has only done 3 or 4 cruises per year out of there in September/October, now it will be there for 6 straight months.

I just got off the phone with Kevin and they do take full responsibility and he told me to fax him an estimate. I still don't know why they are made to be the BAD guys when they are just doing their jobs.

You have to be kidding? Bad guys??. Obviously something's going on he can't pay for these repairs fast enough now!!

How did the repair come out? Do you still own the car?

Now they are using the port year round and Celebrity Summit will be there for 6 months starting in 2010, so then what will they (they meaning all parties involved) do?

In the past Celebrity has only done 3 or 4 cruises per year out of there in September/October, now it will be there for 6 straight months.

My car had a very fine grit on it that appeared to be the result of a sanding operation rather than painting. Almost all of it came off with a couple of runs through the car wash, and I also had to get new windshield wiper blades. I didn't get any professional repairs, and yes several years later if you look closely enough you can still see some grit on the hood. It's invisible unless you're looking for it. Since I have no plans to sell the care before it's ready to be hauled off to a junkyard I'm not overly concerned about it, although the car was only about a year old when this happened.

I also have the same problem; just returned from the Oct 29 Explorer cruise; I was directed here after posting on the RCI board. Who do I contact and are they taking responsibility; I only went to 1 car wash; have not had the car detailed yet as I only noticed the problem on the windshield and have not felt the finish of the car...........Ughh.............. So can someone tell me who I need to contact?

It's been going on for at least 4 1/2 years. I would love to know how many cars have been damaged in that amount of time since these message boards are just a small percentage of what goes on.

I sailed on the Explorer on May 14, 2006 and my black SUV was also damaged by overspray or whatever. So, YES this HAS been going on for a very long time. I had sent an e-mail to Cape Liberty AND RC and never got a response from either.

At that time, there apparently were very few complaints about paint damage. However, I DO remember reading on CC that people were told to bring their cars back to Bayonne for estimates and then have to return again to have the cars detailed by a local place in Bayonne. I live 1-1/4 hrs from the port and didn't pursue it any further once I heard what others had to do.

I had my sons detail the SUV with professional products and MOST of the overspray came off.

While my car was parked at the port I was told the weather was very overcast and cloudy the whole time. I had read on CC the problems seemed to exist mostly when the 'overspray' couldn't float up into the atmosphere. Hence the reason some cruisers return to damaged cars and other weeks they don't.

Bayonne Dry Dock is paying for our cars to be repaired. My car is going to cost $634.94 to detail. They said they would probably have to paint the black trim because it's hard to remove it from the trim.

Another cruiser who I met on board told me her car is going to cost $1,200 to repair.

I know at least 5 people on our cruise - 2 people on the September 19-October 3 cruise - and one person from a RCI cruise October 20-29 that all had paint damage to their vehicles.

:confused: I also had my car damaged by paint overspray from Bayonne Drydock in Oct 2006. My car was (1) month old at the time and it cost $2,100.00 to have the car finish repaired. Due to a slow response from the drydock at that time I turned it over to my insurance co for collection. It took (6) months to finally receive the check. In Oct 2006 Channel 4 covered this

"overspray" problem on a evening news report. After receiving this publicity the cars were then moved to a new parking area past the luggage drop-off area and the problem went away. About a year ago for whatever reason the parking area was then shifted back to the original location adjacent to the drydock and now the problem is back. I also find it amazing that the parking lot can now charge you $19.00/day and locate your car adjacent to the drydock where overspray can occur. Why can't the cars be located back to the lot past the luggage drop-off so the problem will go away. Maybe its time for someone whose car was recently damaged to contact channel 4 so they can do a follow-up story.

. I also find it amazing that the parking lot can now charge you $19.00/day and locate your car adjacent to the drydock where overspray can occur. Why can't the cars be located back to the lot past the luggage drop-off so the problem will go away. Maybe its time for someone whose car was recently damaged to contact channel 4 so they can do a follow-up story.

We drove in 2007 and 2008 and parked in the other lot far from where the dry dock company is. When we drove this year I had no reason to believe they would not let us park there. I don't know the reason, maybe it was full? Maybe they were doing other work? In any event, Central Parking, Celebrity Cruise Lines, Royal Caribbean International and Bayonne Dry Dock all need to come together to SOLVE the problem once and for all.

I wrote a letter to the Presidents of Celebrity and RCI.

Was it News 4 New York or a New Jersey TV station that did the story?

It was 4 News New York that ran the story. I also wote to Royal Caribbean at the time and it took (8) months to get a reply. They said they were sorry it ruined our trip and to contact Bayonne Drydock. They also said they weren't suppose to paint when cars were in the lot. The only problem with that answer is what day aren't there cars in the lot?. The ship arrives and departs the same day. There are always cars in the lot 365 days per year!

My car was damaged back in August a few years ago. We had it cleaned at the port in Bayonne. I cannot believe that this problem has not been resolved. I was nice on the first time it happened...but this being the second time around, I am livid. There is no reason for this. I believe that Royal Carriben should look for a better parking system, since the one they have is not working out. Even if they had to contract off site, it would be better than having to deal with damage to the cars.

I called in and left a message for Kevin. Does anybody know how long it takes him to return phone calls.

I'm wondering if the Bayonne Drydock Corporation is charging the US Government for these bills they are paying. That is something that should also be investigated. It seems very generous for them to be paying out all this money and eating it in such bad times. I'm sure it is being paid for by taxpayers as they seem to be doing work on a Navy ship atm.

I'm also sure the NJ DEP would love to hear what is going on as this stuff is obviously getting into the surrounding waterways.

Thanks for the link to the article.

This is insane that it's still happening. I like the part in the article that the cruise line knows it's been happening but does nothing to warn people driving to Bayonne.

That is why I still don't get that they are not taking any responsibility for this.

I bring my car in on Wednesday to be repaired. All I know is it better come out looking like it did before the cruise.

It usually took a day or two for Kevin to get back to me. I talked to him twice last Monday and he said he called the shop and took care of the bill - even though the car had not been repaired yet. He knew I had an appointment for this Wednesday.

I still want to Royal Caribbean and Celebrity to admit some responsibility in all this, but they adamantly say - "they don't own the port and it's not their fault."

It's enough to get me to start booking cruises on Princess.

Archived