Car Finish damaged at Bayonne Parking Sept 2009

muknaw

Has anyone received a phone call from Mr. Sullivan at the Bayonne Dry Dock lately ????

He called me twice last Monday. I faxed him my estimate, then he called to tell me he spoke with the shop and my car repair is all paid for, even though I haven't had it repaired yet. I am bringing it in this Wednesday.

I know that this problem has been going on for years so obviously the cruiselines have no interest in solving it, but I was wondering if anyone covers their vehicles? Do you think that the covers would just be stolen? I would get an inexpensive one just for this one time purpose. Any thoughts.

I would like to cruise from there but am really having some serious second thoughts.

Sorry about everyone who had their cars damaged. It's unacceptable that that is still happening -- Cruise Critic first reported on this in 2005: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1406

Just wanted to let you know that I have calls in to Royal Caribbean, the port and Bayonne Drydock (Kevin Sullivan). If I can find out anything useful/interesting, I'll keep you all posted!

Erica, thank you very much. Please let us know if you get anywhere.

I had an e-mail exchange with Mr. Goldstein, President & CEO of Royal Caribban and he was trying to tell me it was an isolated incident during the sailing I was on.

I knew better than that from being on Cruise Critic. I was very unsatisfied with the response I received from him and from Mr. Hanrahan's office (President & CEO of Celebrity).

Sorry about everyone who had their cars damaged. It's unacceptable that that is still happening -- Cruise Critic first reported on this in 2005: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1406

Just wanted to let you know that I have calls in to Royal Caribbean, the port and Bayonne Drydock (Kevin Sullivan). If I can find out anything useful/interesting, I'll keep you all posted!

TNX Erica !!!

After having my car damaged in the lot in Oct 2006, I have used a car cover during (3) trips since then. The problem with the car covers is that some times it gets so windy at the port that the cover can leave rub or wear marks on the paint on the bumpers or roof line.

Refering to Cruise Critic's original story on the "overspray", Bayonne Drydock was supposed to give Royal Caribbean and Central Parking a painting schedule so cars could be moved to a different parking lot on the site. Obviously this isn't happening. Why can't they relocate the cars to the parking area after the drop-off like they did last year. This makes the problem go away rather than pay all these claims. We are scheduled to be on the Explorer Jan 14, 2010. I hope they resolve this problem before then.

After having my car damaged in the lot in Oct 2006, I have used a car cover during (3) trips since then. The problem with the car covers is that some times it gets so windy at the port that the cover can leave rub or wear marks on the paint on the bumpers or roof line.

Refering to Cruise Critic's original story on the "overspray", Bayonne Drydock was supposed to give Royal Caribbean and Central Parking a painting schedule so cars could be moved to a different parking lot on the site. Obviously this isn't happening. Why can't they relocate the cars to the parking area after the drop-off like they did last year. This makes the problem go away rather than pay all these claims. We are scheduled to be on the Explorer Jan 14, 2010. I hope they resolve this problem before then.

Thanks for the car cover experience. From your comment regarding moving the cars after drop off it sounds like this is a valet type lot rather than a self park lot so you have to leave your keys. Is that the case?

Thanks for the car cover experience. From your comment regarding moving the cars after drop off it sounds like this is a valet type lot rather than a self park lot so you have to leave your keys. Is that the case?

No it's not a valet type lot, therefore I don't know how or who would move all those cars after they are parked. We are talking about hundreds of cars, not just 5 or 10. Also where would they move them to. If the back lot is full I don't see where they could put the cars from the front lot.

I assume that's the only reason they are having people park in the front lot so close to the dry dock company is that the back lot must be full.

Says my contact: "I asked our Guest Services folks, and they were unaware of any problem at Cape Liberty."

Really? No one has heard a thing -- despite it being reported in various newspapers?

Both the port director and Kevin Sullivan at the drydock are conveniently out until Thursday. (I'd like a work week like that...though perhaps they work weekends instead.) I'll keep trying to dig up an answer for you all.

OK, RCI now says, "The dry dock company had taken measures to stop the wind from blowing over spray on to the cars. However, the wind barrier they had put in place was torn by high winds and caused the most recent damage. The dry dock company and central parking have been working with all guests that have submitted a claim. Actually, they tried to speak to all guests affected as they returned from their sailing.

"If any guest would like to report damage to their cars, or would like to speak to someone regarding this issue, they can contact Kevin Sullivan of Bayonne Dry Dock at (201) 823-9296."

Anyone on any of these sailings get approached by someone after your cruise or contacted afterward with regard to possible car damage?

I'd also think the drydock company might have noticed that the wind barrier was damaged and perhaps stopped spraying until they fixed the problem.

Anyone on any of these sailings get approached by someone after your cruise or contacted afterward with regard to possible car damage?

I'd also think the drydock company might have noticed that the wind barrier was damaged and perhaps stopped spraying until they fixed the problem.

No, I was not approached. I grabbed someone and brought them over to my car. They told me to file a complaint.

Also, that means the barrier was ripped from at least September 19 through November since so many different cruises are involved. I'm sorry I'm not buying it.

That's the same lame excuse Adam Goldstein, President & CEO of RCI wrote to me in an e-mail. Here it is word for word:

Thank you Anne Maria. We are sorry that the problem occurred again especially since everyone thought the right precautions had been taken to stop it from happening again. Bayonne Dry Dock had put up a protective tarp barrier in order to stop the problem. Apparently during the cruise in question the barrier ripped and the cars were exposed for at least a 15 minute period. This is what is said to have led to the damage even though painting was stopped as soon as the breech was discovered. You probably know this already but just incase, the contact info for damages is Kevin Sullivan, Bayonne Dry Dock, tel: 201.823.9296

In addition, as a result of this incident there is an updated plan for preventing future damage. Hopefully we will not need to correspond about paint damage in the future. Thanks for cruising with us.

Best regards,

Adam

Adam M. Goldstein

President & CEO

Royal Caribbean International

News 12 Television is doing a story on this issue. Call Kevin (Not Sullivan) at News 12 as they are looking for people to talk to about this problem.

His phone number is: 732-346-3270

I would recommend doing so in the next day or two to be included.

Okay, how did you find this out? Thanks for the notice.

Says my contact: "I asked our Guest Services folks, and they were unaware of any problem at Cape Liberty."

Really? No one has heard a thing -- despite it being reported in various newspapers?

Both the port director and Kevin Sullivan at the drydock are conveniently out until Thursday. (I'd like a work week like that...though perhaps they work weekends instead.) I'll keep trying to dig up an answer for you all.

It does appear that the Bayonne Dry Dock is unresponsive to our phone calls. I filled a claim with my insurance company here in NJ and hopefully they will be successfull. Our deductible is only $200 which the adjustor stated that we might receive redunded.

Okay, how did you find this out? Thanks for the notice.

They are coming to talk to me this evening. I am a victim too. I managed to get Kevin Sullivan on the phone today and he was more than helpful and they will pay for the damages (he says).

He is out until Thursday, but I told his secretary that News 12 is coming and want to talk to me, so it would be better if I'm in a better frame of mind when they do come!

Again, please call Kevin at News 12. I am glad the dockyard is helping, but the main problem I see is that people should be warned beforehand when they book so they can at least have the option to avoid this whole problem.

the main problem I see is that people should be warned beforehand when they book so they can at least have the option to avoid this whole problem.

That or do not have anyone park in that front lot. Only use the back lot. If you need more room then build another parking lot.

I cannot see anyway to guarantee that any type of barrier will be 100% effective in containing overspray of paint especially when the cars are parked so close to the dry dock facility.

Gee- It's amazing. I heard the same "Tarp" story from Bayonne Dry Dock when my car was damaged in October 2006. It was at that time that they said they don't usually paint when cars are in the adjacent lot. Again since the Explorer arrives early morning and leaves late afternoon there is always cars in that lot 365 days a year! In October 2007 and October 2008 when we cruised out of this port, the cars were parked adjacent to the storage building past the luggage drop-off area. This area is away from the drydock and I never heard of cars being damaged while parked there. In May 2009 we again cruised out of this port and for whatever reason all the cars were parked in the lot adjacent to the drydock where damage had occured in the past. I noticed at this time that there were no cars parked in the lot past the luggage drop-off. I questioned at that time why we couldn't park in the far lot and no one could answer. I had my car cover with me so I proceeded to park in the lot adjacent to the drydock.

At that particular sailing I also noticed there were no vessels in Bayonne Drydock either when we sailed or returned a week later.

In my opinion someone needs to come up with a reason why the cars cannot be parked in the lot past the luggage drop-off. The times that I have been at the site that area is not being used and it is fenced off so security shouldn't be a problem. Until this problem is resolved I will continue to bring my car cover.

Guest maddycat

We parked in the lot for our Explorer cruise Oct. 29 - Nov. 7. Luckily, our car wasn't damaged by the overspray.

However, in Oct. 2006 another car of ours was damaged while parked at Cape Liberty by the paint overspray. We contacted Bayonne Drydock and they paid for having the car detailed. It was not easy to find someone who knew how to properly remove the overspray without damaging the car's painted surfaces or windows. Luckily, we found a detailer in Bergen County not too far from our home who had experience in removing paint overspray. He did an excellent job at a fair price.

After that experience, we bought a car cover. We never used it. For our next cruise the parking was moved to the lot past the luggage drop off. Great location. No paint overspray could reach that area. Then the parking was changed to the current lot, but we were assured that Bayonne Drydock had taken measures to prevent damage to the cars parked there.

I'm glad that channel 12 news will be doing a story on this matter. Maybe the local newspapers will pick up the story. RCCL and Celebrity should be involved in solving this problem. These are their cruise passengers who are effected. They should make sure that safe parking is available to their passengers. I also think that the city of Bayonne needs to get involved. From what we were told, Bayonne owns the cruise port.

Well, I dropped my car off bright and early this morning to be repaired. Frank the guy who's doing the work confirmed that Kevin paid over the telephone for the repairs. I guess maybe they have a corporate - overspray damage repair - credit card.

I just hope the car comes out looking great.

We also drove and parked at Cape Liberty in 2007 and 2008 in what I call the back lot far from the dry dock facility. We had no problems with our car.

This time they made us park in the front lot. When we disembared on 10/30 there was a ship in dry dock that looked like it had just been painted.

So if this tarp continues to RIP all the time then I think it's not a solution to the problem and they need a NEW one.

AND another thing.....this $19 a day we are paying to park in a crappy lot....what's its for? Does Central Parking keep the entire amount? What do they do with all that money, does it really cost that much for us to leave our cars in those lots?

Maddycat, I agree RCL and Celebrity need to be more proactive. The only reason we were all there is because we were on one of their ships.

Archived