Oasis Mystery!

The question seemed like a simple one. On our "scenes from a party" slideshow from Oasis last night, there's a shot of an antique car in front of the Cafe Promenade. Now the custom of featuring a car there is a Royal Caribbean tradition. There are different cars on different ships (mostly Freedom class).

So we asked: what's the make (and model) of the car on Oasis?

First of all, I'm amazed and impressed at how many of you actually know something about antique cars! That's cool. But when I went to Royal Caribbean's p.r. team to confirm my suspicions, and to make sure I have the absolute right answer, there's a bit of confusion and so -- there's no official winner yet.

I love it on Cruise Critic when members know stuff the cruise line doesn't :).

In the meantime, if you haven't voted, please do (again, you need make AND model to win). It'd be mighty helpful if you put Oasis Car Quiz in the subject line! Go here to check it out: http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=3508#.

And if you have voted, please be patient, I'm keeping track of all entries and will announce the winner as soon as we know here.

Carolyn

The question seemed like a simple one. On our "scenes from a party" slideshow from Oasis last night, there's a shot of an antique car in front of the Cafe Promenade. Now the custom of featuring a car there is a Royal Caribbean tradition. There are different cars on different ships (mostly Freedom class).

So we asked: what's the make (and model) of the car on Oasis?

First of all, I'm amazed and impressed at how many of you actually know something about antique cars! That's cool. But when I went to Royal Caribbean's p.r. team to confirm my suspicions, and to make sure I have the absolute right answer, there's a bit of confusion and so -- there's no official winner yet.

I love it on Cruise Critic when members know stuff the cruise line doesn't :).

In the meantime, if you haven't voted, please do (again, you need make AND model to win). It'd be mighty helpful if you put Oasis Car Quiz in the subject line! Go here to check it out: http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=3508#.

And if you have voted, please be patient, I'm keeping track of all entries and will announce the winner as soon as we know here.

Carolyn

I could not find the place to enter but I say its an 851 Auburn Boattail Speedster 1934.

Er, sorry about that. I meant to say -- drop me an email at editor@cruisecritic.com. Put "oasis car quiz" in subject line. Thanks for the heads up!

Carolyn

Couldn't find the place to enter so...... It's a 1930's Auburn 851 or 2 Boattail Speedster. Not sure of the exact year. May be the '35.

What do you think? Official word from RCI spokeswoman on the make/model of the car is as follows: "I can confirm that it is a 1930 Auburn Speedster". But those who made the case -- with photos and commentary from RCI -- that it was a recreation have really swayed me! What do y'all think?

Carolyn

I definitely think it is a replica or re-creation of the original. My great uncle had one, and I think by looking on auto auction sites, it is a replica. You can buy the replica cars on ebay for 40,000 or so. The only original I have ever seen is in the Auburn, Indiana car museum. It is definitely a beautiful vehicle.

kk

great observation!!!

Carolyn

I definitely think it is a replica or re-creation of the original. My great uncle had one, and I think by looking on auto auction sites, it is a replica. You can buy the replica cars on ebay for 40,000 or so. The only original I have ever seen is in the Auburn, Indiana car museum. It is definitely a beautiful vehicle.

kk

So I know that all of you who know so incredibly much about antique cars will laugh at me -- but wow, what an experience this "little" quiz has been! Who knew it would be so hard to track down an answer!

The story on the mystery car and winners of the quiz is here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3523. Just launched tonight.

A couple of miscellaneous points that weren't made in the story (couldn't figure out where to fit info in). The auto maker wouldn't confirm what Royal Caribbean paid for the replica but it was in the neighborhood of $70 - $80,000 (story notes that the "real" car costs about $120,000). You get a discount when you don't need brakes, transmission, ignition, convertible top, etc. :)

Also, Royal Caribbean told me firmly that it was a 1930 Speedster. Nope, according to car maker there is no such thing as a 1930 model. Was told that the car was made only in 1935 and 1936.

Thanks for your patience -- and for your enthusiasm! And for teaching me something new....

Carolyn

Archived