Roll Call: Silver Spirit, Lisbon-Bridgetown, 23 October 2010

ging466

Thank you Dieter! It was easy to recommend. There are many wonderful hotels in Lisboa but for our purpose -- pre-cruise -- I think it was perfect.

Hope all was well at home - took me sooooooo long to get back to normal this time, but now I'm on count-down (106 days) to Shadow in Alaska.

Regards to you and Debbie....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We have booked 3 nights at the Marriott. A pre-cruise get together would be great. We had one on the first day at sea on our recent LA - LA trip on the Shadow, and it set the tone for the whole cruise. We are so glad that we found Cruisecritic.com.

• 3 weeks later...
We have booked 3 nights at the Marriott. A pre-cruise get together would be great. We had one on the first day at sea on our recent LA - LA trip on the Shadow, and it set the tone for the whole cruise. We are so glad that we found Cruisecritic.com.

Hi Emtbsam

I'm looking at hotel rates at the moment...do u recall the rate u got for the Marriott? I'm looking at around 128 Euros for it and wonder if that's reasonable? It's a lot cheaper than the hotels I was previously looking at.

Also I'm thinking of doing a trip to Sintra on the Friday...anyone interested?

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Oh, the travel LUST this thread is stirring!!! I doubt we'll be joining you, but y'all sound like a great group that's going to have a wonderful time.

Our first crossing (Northern route) was on SS and it was beyond terrific. Every aspect. We've since done two crossings on SB, and have stayed in Lisbon twice. (A beautiful city).

First visit was at the Britania, a really nice (huge room) boutique hotel, up the Liberdade, right in the heart of the ritzy shopping area. (Just don't ask for a Scotch and soda - spouse's request put the porter in a 5 min tizzy and we ended up with a scotch and tonic!). Second visit (last November) was another small hotel Vincci Baixa, found on-line. It's set right downtown, near the big plaza (and an outdoor artist's market on Sunday mornings, should that be a timely note). Recommend either place highly.

Following the November SB crossing, a thread was started with comments on various pax Lisbon hotel rec's. May be worth a look for those of you still casting about.

(And just one more note, based on experience - spouse had bad seasickness on our first three cruises (and two crossings). This last time, which again featured some pretty lumpy seas, he used the (elastic) SeaBands and had no problem whatsoever). Cheers!

Sally thanks for the information. My late wife used those elastic wrist bands and never got seasick - they seem to work well.

Several of us when first checking out Lisbon's hotels were attracted to the Britania. As you can see from earlier posts, many are staying at the Marriot, and are suggesting a precruise get together - which is a lot of fun. My late wife and I participated in several of those, and it seems you really make friends - because I am still exchanging email with several couples that we meet precruise over 3 years ago!

Can you give us any information on the Marriot? Also, would like to hear more about the Britania [large rooms are nice].

Thanks again for the information.

Hi Emtbsam

I'm looking at hotel rates at the moment...do u recall the rate u got for the Marriott? I'm looking at around 128 Euros for it and wonder if that's reasonable? It's a lot cheaper than the hotels I was previously looking at.

Also I'm thinking of doing a trip to Sintra on the Friday...anyone interested?

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

That is the rate we are paying. According to other CC posters, there might be a lower rate as you get closer to October. We haven't really thought about pre-cruise excursions yet. When are you getting to Lisbon? We arrive 3 days pre-cruise.

For our maiden cross on the Spirit in Jan, a few of us did a pre cruise in Lisbon, stayed

at the Marriott. Best rate came about six weeks out from our 3 Jan embark, 70euro

a night (incl breakfast)...suggest you monitor the Marriott site for best deals.

Great info re hotels - thankx. I will check out the Seabourn thread also. Unfortunately those seabands don't work for me, they only put holes in my wrists :)

Emtbsam, I'm arriving on Thursday but there's confusion as to what time. I'm hearing a lot of complaints about Qantas arriving into London quite late which means if I book a connection on BA or TAP, I'll miss it and with all these non refundable fares, will do my doe (Aussie slang for losing money:)) so I haven't decided exactly what time on Thursday I'll get there.

So that means I've got all day Friday to tour, then we could have our pre-cruise party Friday night (if everyone agrees that is:)) and maybe some serious retail therapy:) on Saturday morning before embarking the ship...not a lot of time.

Charlie - here is a link for the Britania hotel, http://www.heritage.pt/hotel_britania.html Have a look at the rooms, they ARE huge as ltsally mentioned. I also like the look of the Heritage hotel (also found on this website)

All I can say is I'm glad it's still a long way off because as u can see, I haven't got half my travel plans organised...and I still have to look at accommodation in Barbados and Los Angeles...:eek:

Cheers

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer: It does look lovely. I have not quite figured out when I am going to arrive, as I am getting ready in about 30 days to fly to Fort Lauderdale and board Shadow for a 15 day cruise from FFL to Los Angeles, and in between go to South America and through the Panama Canal.

I will probably get serious when I have to make my final payment for the cruise in late July. Have already decided to fly coast to coast and then stay overnight at Newark Liberty, and then take a nonstop flight to Lisbon, most likely on TAP.

If anyone is planning on take any precruise tours in Lisbon and environs, and want company and help to pay, I am certainly willing to listen. The only problem that I have is that I use a portable oxygen concentrator and am not great on steps or long walks. Otherwise, I am just a normal 75 year old gentleman [grin].

Hi Jennifer: It does look lovely. I have not quite figured out when I am going to arrive, as I am getting ready in about 30 days to fly to Fort Lauderdale and board Shadow for a 15 day cruise from FFL to Los Angeles, and in between go to South America and through the Panama Canal.

I will probably get serious when I have to make my final payment for the cruise in late July. Have already decided to fly coast to coast and then stay overnight at Newark Liberty, and then take a nonstop flight to Lisbon, most likely on TAP.

If anyone is planning on take any precruise tours in Lisbon and environs, and want company and help to pay, I am certainly willing to listen. The only problem that I have is that I use a portable oxygen concentrator and am not great on steps or long walks. Otherwise, I am just a normal 75 year old gentleman [grin].

Don't worry about the O2 concentrator. He is a former paramedic, and she is a former EMT. Happy to help if need be. We're looking forward to meeting you and all the other CC'ers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi fellow Spirit transatlantic cruisers:)

I'm posting this link in our thread so that u can all read this recent review.

http://www.cruisereport.com/crReview.aspx?id=2216

looks like we'll have plenty to do during those sea days:

"In addition to Bingo, lectures, the always popular and hotly contested Team Trivia, Silver Spirit also offered wine tastings, cooking demonstrations, Spanish, Portuguese, French and Italian language classes (all taught by the amazing Fernando), Bridge classes and dance classes. There was water volleyball featuring guests against the crew, table tennis against the cruise staff, daily shuffleboard competition and even a boat-building and dressmaking competition! There were daily fitness seminars and spa seminars. I am sure I have left out many other activities but there was always something for guests to do."

Emtbsam - I'm sure the table tennis will interest u!

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Hi fellow Spirit transatlantic cruisers:)

I'm posting this link in our thread so that u can all read this recent review.

http://www.cruisereport.com/crReview.aspx?id=2216

looks like we'll have plenty to do during those sea days:

"In addition to Bingo, lectures, the always popular and hotly contested Team Trivia, Silver Spirit also offered wine tastings, cooking demonstrations, Spanish, Portuguese, French and Italian language classes (all taught by the amazing Fernando), Bridge classes and dance classes. There was water volleyball featuring guests against the crew, table tennis against the cruise staff, daily shuffleboard competition and even a boat-building and dressmaking competition! There were daily fitness seminars and spa seminars. I am sure I have left out many other activities but there was always something for guests to do."

Emtbsam - I'm sure the table tennis will interest u!

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Yes, we'll be interested in the table tennis and shuffleboard, and he will be interested in the water volleyball.

Hello Everyone,

Over the past few weeks I have been reading this forum while trying to decide which cruise we should take. Just this morning my husband and I put our deposit down for this cruise!!

It will be the first time either of us have taken a cruise, so getting really excited. We have no idea what to expect, but looking forward to the adventure and meeting lots of people.

Oh we are also traveling with my husbands' parents.

Looking forward to meeting ya'll!!!

Hello Everyone,

Over the past few weeks I have been reading this forum while trying to decide which cruise we should take. Just this morning my husband and I put our deposit down for this cruise!!

It will be the first time either of us have taken a cruise, so getting really excited. We have no idea what to expect, but looking forward to the adventure and meeting lots of people.

Oh we are also traveling with my husbands' parents.

Welcome to the roll call. You will not be disappointed with your choice. This will be our second Silversea cruise (first was through the Panama Canal on the Shadow last October). The people we met were warm, gracious, interesting and fun. Looking forward to comparing the two ships.

Welcome to our roll call oceanwave001...it's fantastic that your first cruise will be on SS, u will have a ball!

Our list is growing and now stands at:

ging466: Jennifer, 610

cechase: Charlie, 508

Emtbsam: Bob & Victoria, 927

Prince: x2

MaryB1: Mary & Ken

DTM: Dan & wife

Riobound: Barbara & Don & Carolyn & Ron (4)

largo162: John & Marlene

jgibbs: x2

topigo: Tibor & Peter

palamoh: Mitch & Sheila, 412

Sailmaker: Andy & Val, 833

oceanwave001: x4

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

Jennifer - Thanks for taking the lead and collecting names and suite numbers. On our recent South Pacific cruise, we had a get-together the first morning in the Panorama Lounge so everyone could meet. It worked out really well. Kinga, the Cruise Consultant and Ana, one of the International Hostesses, were in attendance which showed that SS does care about CC people. Should we try to do this again? If so, I think all we need to do is contact the Concierge and give them the list of names and cabin numbers. They will handle sending out invitations and possibly making up name tags.

Victoria - great idea about the get-together on the Ship, Jennifer could you get the Cruise Director involved when we get on the ship I'm sure he will assist you. Sounds like you are a go getter.

Jennifer re: rates at the Marriott, we are paying 128 for Wed and Thurs and 109 Euros for Fri. Wes said look again around a couple of months out, if the rate goes down we can book at a better rate and can cancel the original reservation.

I for one am sure looking forward to meeting everyone on Fri night at the Hotel.:cool::cool::cool:

"Mitch"

Hi all

If u haven't already guessed, I'm an organiser from way back and happy to organise the functions for our trip:)

I understand if u don't want to post your suite number on CC, so for those that haven't posted their "real names" and suite numbers, would u kindly email me, gingiepoo@hotmail.com and I will continue to compile the list. Oh yeah and pls also tell me where u r from.

I am particularly keen to have a get together on the Friday night as per Mitch's suggestion. I am not going to stay at the Marriott but see no reason why we can't all rock up to the bar at a given time to meet those who are staying there.:cool: I was thinking 7pm, does that suit everyone? I think I'm going to stay at the Avenida Palace so will catch a taxi to the Marriott.

Emtbsam - the first morning is an excellent idea as we don't dock in Tangier until noon, so does 1030am in the Panorama Lounge suit everyone?

Does anyone have a contact at Silversea? I can email our requirements first up and will follow up when I embark on the Saturday.

Hey, I'm excited:D

Cheers

Jennifer

Mitch, usually would suggest coordination with the Cruise Director (e.g., Fernando

was on the Spirit Maiden with us). Alas, I do not have Fernando's email. However, I do

have Captain Corsaro's private email, he was the Spirit's Captain for the maiden (doug will correct me) and

I believe he is back on board the Spirit now. I sent him an email asking who will be the cruise

director for your TA and ask if he can send me the CD's email. Will get back with you

when I hear from Captain Corsaro...r/wes

Archived