Which port has better tequila deals?

hunneebee

Probably depends upon how "high end" you want to go. The La Europea store in the big Cabo mall is going to have the greatest selection of just about everything. It is where we buy, and we find their prices to be very good.

In Puerto Vallarta, the Wal Mart/Sam's Club as well as the Soriana's (similar to a super WalMart are close by and will have good prices. They probably won't have anywhere near as many selections (20 - 40 types as opposed to over 100 in the La Europea). Where the stores share a commonality of brands, you might save between .50 and $1.50 per bottle (just my guess) in Puerto Vallarta. Those mega-stores however, will only carry the most popular brands for the most part.

So I guess it just depends upon what you are looking for, and if saving @ .50 to $1.50 is worth your limited time in port. Either way, you will still save an average of %40-%60 over stateside prices unless you buy one of the few brands that have been "tourist priced" just for you. Then you will probably save less than %5 or in some cases, pay even more than back home.

Agree with SDPadreFan. However if you are looking for "Higher End" estate produced tequilas that you won't find here in the states, you will find several small specialty "estate produced tequila" shops along the side streets of the Malencon in Puerto Vallarta. Can't say if you will save any $ as these are brands I have only found in Mexico. I have found that almost all of these shops do have free tastings so you can judge for yourself. My favorite is Cofradia. Last time I was in Puerto Vallarta, the had 3 shops along the Malencon area. They also had a shop in Cabo. My fav for sipping is a reposado. The first time I visited the Cofradia shop, I noticed an 8 month rep that was more expensive than an 11 month rep. Asking a lot of questions I found that the 8 month was aged in "New" oak barrels and the 11 month was aged in "Used" oak barrels. I was amazed at the difference in taste. Needless to say I bought the more expensive ($+-70 USD) 8 month. Hope this helps and have fun trying the different tequilas available.

The little shops in PV along the Malecon are probably what I'm looking for. I want something I can't buy in the US, although apparently I need to budget a little more than expected for a good one. One of the waiters at my favorite local Mexican restaurant told me to look for Gran Suprema by Herradura, but he said it's pricey.

• 1 month later...
The little shops in PV along the Malecon are probably what I'm looking for. I want something I can't buy in the US, although apparently I need to budget a little more than expected for a good one. One of the waiters at my favorite local Mexican restaurant told me to look for Gran Suprema by Herradura, but he said it's pricey.

We just got home from MR cruise, and PV is where we found the best prices---for local tequila and the stuff you can buy in the US.

Herradura Reposado is my favorite tequila of choice. They have the typical Silver, Reposado and Añejo products. Their super premium tequila is Seleccion Suprema and runs $330-$380 for a 750 ml bottle online. Five bottles are currently available on ebay for $205 each. :D

You might find this tequila guide useful when you head for Mexico - http://www.ianchadwick.com/tequila/pocketguide.htm

La Cofradia distillery has a string of "factory outlet" stores in Vallarta where you can taste their various products - http://www.tequilacofradia.com.mx/

La Playa liquor stores are known for selection and good prices. They have six locations in Vallarta - http://www.superlaplaya.com/index2.htm

One of the better Mexican restaurants in Vallarta that also has high end, unique tequilas is Casa de Tequila - http://www.nileguide.com/destination/puerto-vallarta/bars-and-clubs/casa-de-tequila-la/401549

Good up-to-date maps of Vallarta can be found at http://www.vallarta-info.com/

Enjoy!

I taste tested the pomegranite at one of the stores in PV and loved it! It was a store just before the start of the shops (I do not recall the name). It was on the same main road; just a bit before the central shopping area. The employees at that store were great too. It was when we first started out tho, so we had not done any comparison shopping and were not ready to carry anything yet.

I will be on a search for Pomegranite tequila, besides a few others.

La Pinta is the maker. The closest distributor along the MR is located in Los Cabos so your best chance of finding it will likely be in Cabo san Lucas. I didn't find it in Vallarta last year.

You might be able to get it in your local area as there is a distributor in San Francisco.

http://www.lapintapomegranate.com/

Price in the States looks to be roughly $41 USD for a 750 ml bottle.

Enjoy!

La Pinta is the maker. The closest distributor along the MR is located in Los Cabos so your best chance of finding it will likely be in Cabo san Lucas. I didn't find it in Vallarta last year.

You might be able to get it in your local area as there is a distributor in San Francisco.

Enjoy!

Ouch, $41. I'm guessing it would be around $20 if you can find it in Cabo. I don't think I've ever seen it at the La Europea store at the mall in Cabo but I can't say that I was looking for it either. I'm usually after non-flavored sipping tequilas.

Enjoy!

I saw Pomergranate Tequila in Puerto Vallarta ....not sure of the street that crosses it but it is on the Malecon about two or three blocks north of the Cheeky Monkey. It is on a corner and sells tee shirts, cups, vanilla, small farmicia, basic tourist stuff but they do have a great selection and prices on Tequila and Coffe liquers.

For some reason I think the crossover street is Allende but I could be wrong.

We buy the 1921 cream tequila there( normally we use La Playa's but they don't sell 1921 CT) and the Pomergranate was right next to it. I was too busy drooling over the 1921 to see the price on the Pom Tequila sorry :(

[Ouch, $41. I'm guessing it would be around $20 if you can find it in Cabo. I don't think I've ever seen it at the La Europea store at the mall in Cabo but I can't say that I was looking for it either. I'm usually after non-flavored sipping tequilas.

Yes, much less in Mexico. In PV, tequila is less than half the price of what it is in the states. We did not look at prices of flavored tequilas because that is not what we were purchasing (although I did try some). We bought Manana Resposado for $22, which sells online for $55. All the prices of non-flavored tequilas were less in PV than in Cabo or Mazatlan (Nov 2009).

I saw Pomergranate Tequila in Puerto Vallarta ....not sure of the street that crosses it but it is on the Malecon about two or three blocks north of the Cheeky Monkey. It is on a corner and sells tee shirts, cups, vanilla, small farmicia, basic tourist stuff but they do have a great selection and prices on Tequila and Coffe liquers.

For some reason I think the crossover street is Allende but I could be wrong.

We buy the 1921 cream tequila there( normally we use La Playa's but they don't sell 1921 CT) and the Pomergranate was right next to it. I was too busy drooling over the 1921 to see the price on the Pom Tequila sorry :(

That sounds like where I tried the Pomegranate too!

Yes, much less in Mexico. In PV, tequila is less than half the price of what it is in the states. We did not look at prices of flavored tequilas because that is not what we were purchasing (although I did try some). We bought Manana Resposado for $22, which sells online for $55. All the prices of non-flavored tequilas were less in PV than in Cabo or Mazatlan (Nov 2009).

There are some qualifiers to that statement so you still have to know what you are doing. Buying tequila in PV at a supposed "tequila tour" factory outlet will generally have you paying a fools price for "raicilla" (unlicensed moonshine tequila). Some of it is quite good, but it is still over priced.

In addition - there are some (U.S.) popular brands that are sold in Mexico that are priced just for the unsuspecting tourist (fools price). Some of these are Cabo Wabo, Patron, Jose Curevo Reserva de la Familia, and Casa Noble. In some cases, you will pay more (or very close) in Mexico for these brands than you would in the states. So it's still buyer beware for the ones I've mentioned. "MOST" brands in Mexico you can expect to save 40-60% on.

Here are some suggestions with approximate U.S. retail prices to compare with when you are in Mexico. All of these are in the range of "very good" to "excellent" as a sipping tequila.

Blanco: Gran Centenario (US $45), 1921 (US $45), Chinaco (US $45), 4 Copas ($45), Arette Sauve ($90; this is a great one to locate)

Reposado: El Tesoro (US $45), Clase Azul (US $85), Arette Sauve (US $90; again a great one to locate), 1921 (US $48)

Anejo: 1921 (US $55), Gran Centenario (US $55), Arette Unique (US $110; 375 ml-hard to find but well worth it), El Jimador (US $60; special collection), El Gran Viejo (US $85-90), El Tesoro (US $50)

Are you saying the tequila we purchased is unlicensed moonshine tequila??? We did not go on a tequila factory tour. We taste tested at several shops, and were very happy with the taste and price of this tequila (which we had never tried before). The US popular brands you mentioned are also much less in PV than in Cabo. The best Kahula price was also in PV.

No, I'm saying that some people who go on "tequila factory tours" in PV are then taken to a small area of the complex where they have product for sale. Typically they will have some flavored product (almond, chocolate, etc) as well as other items. In our case, our bottles specifically state "Raicilla Mismaloya". In this case, Mismaloya is the name of the town where it is produced. We knew what we were buying in advance (it's actually supposed to be a legitimate form of Raicilla) and it was also explained to the others in the group so they were educated as well. That will not always be the case for every "tour". There are also many illegitimate forms of Raicilla as well but all will state (or should) Raicilla right on the bottle. We paid $20 U.S. per 500ml bottle which is high, but we knew what we wanted in this case.

Here is a link to an article regarding "Raicilla Mismaloya"

http://www.pvmirror.com/artculture/raicilla.html

The tours are very worthwhile as a learning experience, but unless you really know what you are buying, you are better off buying at one of the better liquor stores in PV (or Cabo) or even going to the local Soriana or WalMart in PV. In Cabo, the WalMart and Soriana are too far away for cruisers to be practical or worthwhile.

Here is what you bought and you made an excellent choice.

http://www.tequila.net/tequila-reviews/reposados/manana-tequila-reposado.html

A general statement not directed to any one response above: Unless someone is very experienced in the off-market adulterated beverages, my suggestion is that people stick to liquor - tequila or other - that has across the top of the bottle the tax seal of the Mexican government. There are many people selling false liquors that have either been cut in quality or are not what the label says they are. Why risk your health?

A general statement not directed to any one response above: Unless someone is very experienced in the off-market adulterated beverages, my suggestion is that people stick to liquor - tequila or other - that has across the top of the bottle the tax seal of the Mexican government. There are many people selling false liquors that have either been cut in quality or are not what the label says they are. Why risk your health?

Couldn't agree with you more. Knowledge is king.

You can usually find the pomegranate tequila at the "Tequila" shop on the corner of 31 de Octubre, just inland from McDonald's on the Malecon in Puerto Vallarta. Just be aware many of these small shops with specialty tequilas are a front for timeshare sales pitches.

The stuff in the plastic "beehive" bottles is not tequila but mezcal.

Technically, Tequila is like Champagne, as only "true" 100% blue agave tequila comes the the areas of Tequila in Jalisco. The Herradura Facotry just outside of Tequila, Jal is amazing. HUGE and the original area is preserved and to see the whole process from over a hundred years ago to what they do today is amazing.

You can usually find the pomegranate tequila at the "Tequila" shop on the corner of 31 de Octubre, just inland from McDonald's on the Malecon in Puerto Vallarta. Just be aware many of these small shops with specialty tequilas are a front for timeshare sales pitches.

Yes, one of the shops where we stopped hit us up for time shares after tasting.

Archived