Are balcony cabins really worth the extra cost?

The Fox

We had a mini on the Pac Dawn and spent way too much time in the cabin and on the balcony for my liking!

We got it as an upgrade and it was great,wouldnt say no to another freebee but am happy with a normal cabin as we only use it for sleep and dressing etc then use the rest of the ship more than we did with the balcony cabin.

Den

We had a mini on the Pac Dawn and spent way too much time in the cabin and on the balcony for my liking!

We got it as an upgrade and it was great,wouldnt say no to another freebee but am happy with a normal cabin as we only use it for sleep and dressing etc then use the rest of the ship more than we did with the balcony cabin.

Den

Yeah it depends what you do while your gone - ie. travelling with a group? we were always on the back deck and 8(i think?) on PD etc but if you were going away as a couple or just a family i think there is alot of reason. If we had got a balcony it would have been to fit 16 people but i dont think they make them big enough... :P

If i had the money and my crusing was a once off or for a specil acasion like wedding i would concider a balconey.

Though for the amout of time i have spent in my room on the ship is to change clothes and sleep.

If i was upgraded thought i would not knock it down i am sure they are great.

They are just mY thoughts

A friend went on her first cruise a few weeks back and paid for a balcony because she wasnt sure how her sea legs would be. Turned out to be a good choice because she was not well at all for the first 2 days. She loved the ability to just sit outside in her PJs and breathe fresh air whenever she was feeling off. :)

I agree completely. We weren't really seriously looking for a cruise, as we had just returned from a 3 week trip to the States, but when looking for "fun", we saw a deal that was too good to turn down.

The special we found was a 20 night cruise from Sydney to Bangkok on the Diamond Princess inc airfares and a BALCONY cabin for under $3,000. 20 nights in a balcony cabin will be wonderful! Interestingly, the balcony was cheaper than an inside and outside - we just had to do it - didn't we!! Can't wait for our cruise!!!

Just a cruise line ploy and T/A ploy!

Over inflate the price of cheaper cabins and it makes the more expensive cabins look like a much better deal!

As the better cabins sell out the cheaper cabins become available at the real price and advertized as super special!

Den

Just a cruise line ploy and T/A ploy!

Over inflate the price of cheaper cabins and it makes the more expensive cabins look like a much better deal!

As the better cabins sell out the cheaper cabins become available at the real price and advertized as super special!

Den

Perhaps you are right, but in my opinion it was a great price for 20 nights in a balcony cabin with airfare. The sale didn't last long and we are very very very happy that we booked quickly and are going to do a cruise on the beautiful big Diamond Princess for this amount of time with a balcony. Did I say we were happy!!! In our opinion we got a great deal!

I haven't read all the posts re this one, but would like to add my tuppence worth. We did our recent 18 day PNG cruise for the first time in an inside cabin, as at time of booking the balconies were fetching almost double the price of an midship inside.I was initially concerned about feeling cramped and stuffy, but this was not the case. Sure it was tiny, but we got used to it. I don't see why the length of the cruise would change my mind. I love balconies and I will also cruise inside again. You're only in your cabin to sleep, shower, dress and maybe escape from the crowds to watch a movie.

The bottom line for me is what I can afford at the time.

Anna

Archived