What to do in Key West etc

jabberman_76366

I just left Key West today after wrapping up a business trip there.

Duvall Street is a blast to explore with lots of good food, drinks and loud music coming from the semi open air restaurants. Sloppy Joes is a must but Marios Seafood Feast is great as well..and the music coming out of Irish Kevins will get you boogying down the street.

You can take a two reef snorkel for $36 and it is great. Friendly & helpful crew and water as clear as in Costa Maya or anywhere in the caribbean. They also had a band at the Seaport square where you catch the snorkel boats. Also I spied a sunset sail cruise for $25 a head on an old wooden schooner. It did look kinda decrepit though and for a moment I thought it was the Holiday...sorry folks...couldn't resist! :D

Be sure and visit the southernmost point (only 90 miles from Havana) and the Hemingway house. Also don't overlook the side streets for the smaller lesser known shops & restaurant/bars. Good deals and eats there as well.

The best part is that its all within walking distance without wearing yourself out. If you do get winded or on a hot summer day tho...a cold drink is only a step or two away!

We were at this sandal shop called Kino's. Sandals are all handmade, inexpensive. I just checked out their website....prices range from $9-14.00. I bought style #1 "Lili" and quite liked them! They are a very flat sandal with little arch support but still fairly comfortable. The shop is an easy walk from what I recall.:D

CDNCRUZER: Any way to get me their website? Would love to get a look before getting there.

I just left Key West today after wrapping up a business trip there.

Duvall Street is a blast to explore with lots of good food, drinks and loud music coming from the semi open air restaurants. Sloppy Joes is a must but Marios Seafood Feast is great as well..and the music coming out of Irish Kevins will get you boogying down the street.

You can take a two reef snorkel for $36 and it is great. Friendly & helpful crew and water as clear as in Costa Maya or anywhere in the caribbean. They also had a band at the Seaport square where you catch the snorkel boats. Also I spied a sunset sail cruise for $25 a head on an old wooden schooner. It did look kinda decrepit though and for a moment I thought it was the Holiday...sorry folks...couldn't resist! :D

Be sure and visit the southernmost point (only 90 miles from Havana) and the Hemingway house. Also don't overlook the side streets for the smaller lesser known shops & restaurant/bars. Good deals and eats there as well.

The best part is that its all within walking distance without wearing yourself out. If you do get winded or on a hot summer day tho...a cold drink is only a step or two away!

That was good.LOL:D

Steve

In Key West we went to the Hemingway House and Ripley's Believe it or Not.

Haven't been to Freeport yet.

In Nassau, we went to the Wyndham Cable Beach and had a day pass which let us use their facilities (pool, beach, restrooms) and eat at the buffet lunch in their restaurant.

We enjoyed both ports.

Like many others on here recommended - try a key lime pie on a stick. They are the best. I would rent a bicycle or scooter to visit the southern most point. We tried walking and were worn out by the time we got down there from the port.....and still had to walk back!

We just got from a couple days in Key West for the Fantasy Fest. We go every year to Key West on our own boat.

Any way...my two favorite things that I like in Key West (other than the Fantasy Fest) 1) Mel Fischer museum. I ordinally get bored at museums but this one is cool. It all about how they discover the Atocha and its sunken treasure. It is just a short walk form the ship. 2) If you want to get the local flavor of Key West ..go to Schoonars Wharf Bar. It is on Key Bight (the marina area) near Turtle Crawl restaurant.( From the ship..take a left and walk parallel to the shore, you'll find it.) They have a local singing there every day (he has been there for years) and you can enjoy a cool drink and a great view from the 2nd floor patio. Also, if you pick up one of those coupon books(in the ranks around down). The smaller coupon book, I think its called something "Bucks", there is a coupon for "2 for 1 drinks"-no food purchase required and it is good anytime. Another hint, their Rum Runners are to die for.

Have fun!

You can skip the museum part of Mel Fishers' and the $10 fee if you want, but still see all the wares, genuine and remanufactured coins and jewelry and items for sale in the gift shop - for free-, just go around to the right side of the building and the gift/coin shop entrance is there. Some amazing stuff!!

Wyland's Art Gallery is always interesting too

Archived