"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

As soon as you board, don’t go straight to your cabin. Depending on how early you arrive, you may not be able to go to the cabin anyways as the hotel staff may still be cleaning it.

Don’t put all your money in traveler’s checks because you’ll have to find a bank to cash them in port. What do you do if the banks aren’t open or you don’t have time before the tour leaves to find a bank? Cabins have safes in them if you’re worried about taking a lot of cash with you.

Staff usually doesn't mind if you drop off your carry on.

My bank gives us free traveler's checks in which I cash at the purser's desk when there is no line.

Edited by zoethesailor

is money in tips to support his/her family and positive comment cards.

Those comment cards are used for performance appraisals for the crew and they receive merit raises and promotions based on the comments received.

Honestly, in addition to your kind words and respect, those are the ONLY TWO THINGS THEY WANT AND NEED FROM YOU.

Edited by GlendaleCruiser

Arrive in your port city a day ahead of time; it's the cheapest insurance you can buy, and it will save massive stress.

Pack lightly, but do dress appropriately for dinner.

Wear comfortable shoes, especially in port.

Research your ports ahead of time, and reserve private excursions. Never take a ship's excursion -- the financial savings are nice, but the real perk is the smaller groups.

Don't be afraid to try new things.

You don't have to take adavantage of everything to have fun. Don't feel that you must do an excursion in every port, must buy all the stuff they put out in the promenade, must eat at specialty restaurants, must have a suit . . . you can have a great cruise at a more moderate price.

Excellent advice! Thank you :)

Edited by alwaysmiling

The drink they offer when you board the ship is NOT free!

This made me laugh, because on first cruise (April 2007) this happened to me. We were so excited to be boarding the ship and a crew member approached me with a tray full of drinks. Would you like a drink?...he asked. Well sure!!!! He passed a drink to everyone in our group and then stood there waiting for my sign and sail card. Then it hit me that these were not complimentary drinks! Won't make that mistake on my next cruise!!!

Although I haven't read through everything here, the most important thing I can think of right now for a first time cruiser, would be to tell them that there will be FAR MORE going on onboard than you can possibly do. You can wear yourself out, not to mention STRESS yourself out, thinking you have to be everywhere and do everything. Once I convinced myself that my entire vacation did not hinge on any one activity and it would be OKAY if I missed the art auction, a round of bingo, or an after dinner show, or whatever, my cruises became a LOT more fun and relaxing. And THAT'S why many cruisers will suggest you take a highlighter with you. Look over the day's activities in the daily paper and highlight the activities you really want to do. I'll suggest you not stack your entire day full with back to back to back activities. Enjoy down time....watch the ship's wake...revel in having NOTHING you must do!

Edited by DukeFamily

Although I haven't read through everything here, the most important thing I can think of right now for a first time cruiser, would be to tell them that there will be FAR MORE going on onboard than you can possibly do. You can wear yourself out, not to mention STRESS yourself out, thinking you have to be everywhere and do everything. Once I convinced myself that my entire vacation did not hinge on any one activity and it would be OKAY if I missed the art auction, a round of bingo, or an after dinner show, or whatever, my cruises became a LOT more fun and relaxing. And THAT'S why many cruisers will suggest you take a highlighter with you. Look over the day's activities in the daily paper and highlight the activities you really want to do. I'll suggest you not stack your entire day full with back to back to back activities. Enjoy down time....watch the ship's wake...revel in having NOTHING you must do!

For our first cruise I am most looking forward to doing NOTHING! Then again, we're taking our two boys (7 and 3). I doubt I get a chance to do NOTHING unless I can get them to the kids' clubs!!:p

I knew this but didn't act on it & put the pieces together. :rolleyes:

When you put your bags out the last night we always keep our toiletries. They used to fly home in the carry on but no more. We had to repack at the AP. Think about the 3 oz requirements when you are packing to go on the cruise; hopefully you will use everything up & not have to deal on the flight home.

For our first cruise I am most looking forward to doing NOTHING! Then again, we're taking our two boys (7 and 3). I doubt I get a chance to do NOTHING unless I can get them to the kids' clubs!!:p

Push the issue with the kids program...because once they go once they will probably love it. My son (who was almost seven on our last cruise on Carnival Freedom) started out a little shy, not knowing what to expect, but once he was there once he LOVED it. He couldn't wait to go each day. We certainly spent a lot of time together but boy was it nice to have our separate time! We LOVED it too. He got his alone time to play and make new friends, but more importantly we got some alone time to do what we wanted to do. Even if that was lounging in the sun and doing nothing! It is so great to take them to the kids program and get to enjoy a show after dinner. A couple of nights we even had him stay after the 10:00 hour and paid for him to stay so we could go to a comedy show or go to the piano bar. Hopefully your kids will love it. It sure worked out great for us. Now we are planning our second cruise in April. My son will be almost nine. He can't wait to do it again! ;)

I really enjoyed reading all the wonderful suggestions even though I have cruise a number of times. They were all very helpful.

Here are a couple of ours:

If you can, postpone shopping on the ship the first few days. The sales in the shops and at the spa come on strong as you get closer to the end of the cruise.

A couple days before the end of your cruise, ask the customer service desk for a copy of your bill. You can check it over and make sure everything is in order. We have found mistakes. You can then correct them before the last day when the desk is very busy.

If you are in a balcony cabin, order morning room service. We always have morning coffee and juice delivered early. Then we go sit on the balcony, enjoy our coffee and check out our new port or just enjoy the sea view. It is a great start to the day.

My theory is... life is a karma boomerang...you get back what you throw out there. Be prepared for missed ports, changes in itinerary....being flexible will help your stress levels.

The time flies by so quickly....let the little stuff go.

Calm breezes and smooth seas.

here are a few more thoughts. if you have an inside cabin you can tune the tv to the deck camera channel that feeds live video from up top. this way your room will begin to get light when the sun begins to come up. this helps you start to wake up as if you had a window. it is also fun to see what it happening up top before you get out of bed. also, consider a night light for inside cabins, especially is you are traveling with young kids. also consider a clock if you are not a watch person. i have to know what time it is a night if i wake up. if you are either an early riser or a night owl use these times to walk the ship. both as beautiful in their own way. i am an early riser and i loved just exploring the ship while it was still "asleep"!

finally, the best single piece of advice i can give is your attitude toward others will have a huge impact on how your cruise goes. i am always sad to see people angry and short tempered, or treating crew members like they are second classs citizians and then complain if they are treated poorly. if you treat people with kindness and respect you will get great service all the way around. if you experience a problem don't let it ruin your trip. on our last cruise we had to skip a port because of ther whole "swine flu" scare. this sent some people over the edge with anger. we just used it an a excuse to spend an extra relaxing and enjoying each others company. make the best of every situation and you will have a great trip

I do not have the time to read every post so I hope that if I am repeating what someone has said forgive me.

My top five suggestions are:

1. Go out of your way to be polite, kind and interested in the crew that you interact with.

2. Be kind and patient with elderly and handicapped people- they aren't there to ruin your vacation or to purposely slow you down or get in your way.

3. Say hello to other passengers.

4. Don't be in a hurry

5. Book another cruise while on board

i do agree about all the gifts potentially getting out of hand for the cabin helpers but one item that seems to be well received by them are any books/magizines you bring on board as reading material. we have actually been asked if we could leave our magizines behind in the room when we checked out. the crew share them with each other and pass them around. our last cabin steward told us they have an informal "library" for the crew with all the books & mags. when it starts to fill up they take the well read books ashore and donate them to a school/hospital/hotel/etc. so you may want to consider a book if you are feeling like you want to give a gift since it is something all the crew can enjoy and then donate for others to enjoy.

Thank you for all of these great tips! I am planning our first cruise in June, for my Husband's 40th B-day. I have a couple of questions for you experts.

1. Passports.....do we leave them in our safe when getting off at a port, or take them with us?

2. Room Service....how does tipping work? Is there a gratuity added to our account, or do we just tip in cash when the food is delivered? How much do we tip.....do we tip more for dinner than breakfast, for example?

Thanks!

Thank you for all of these great tips! I am planning our first cruise in June, for my Husband's 40th B-day. I have a couple of questions for you experts.

1. Passports.....do we leave them in our safe when getting off at a port, or take them with us?

2. Room Service....how does tipping work? Is there a gratuity added to our account, or do we just tip in cash when the food is delivered? How much do we tip.....do we tip more for dinner than breakfast, for example?

Thanks!

1) I leave my passport in the safe. It wouldn't hurt to take a photocopy of your passport with you in port.

2) Room Service - cash tip when food is delivered. Not sure about varying your tip with the actual meal that is delivered.

Happy cruising! Hope your hubby enjoys his birthday!

I am so glad I read about taking an over the door pocketed shoe organizer to hold all my cosmetics, etc. It kept our bathroom uncluttered!

If your camera operates on a special camera battery instead of AA's, buy an extra one and carry it with you everywhere! I avoided extreme disappointment by having this ready when the first battery died in the middle of a shore excursion.

Shoes are heavy! You don't need a pair to match every outfit!

Don't promise to send postcards to the folks back home. It is often difficult to get stamps and mail them on a short port visit!

Save all the daily activity papers that you get -- a great way to remember your cruise!

A few questions for people "in the know"

1. i love an early morning cuppa...should i do room service? or take a travel kettle ?...

2. is room service fairly fast?

3. should i take drinks glasses with me or are they provided in the cabin?

4. is being topless (in the adult areas of course) frowned upon? pool areas that is lol :cool:

thanks guys :)

A few questions for people "in the know"

1. i love an early morning cuppa...should i do room service? or take a travel kettle ?...

2. is room service fairly fast?

Do room service. You can get a card like the ones in hotels to order for the next morning or you can call when you get up. It's about as fast as any hotel. If you ordered only coffee, and no fruit or bagels to go with, I am sure it would be faster

3. should i take drinks glasses with me or are they provided in the cabin?

They are provided in the cabin. And clean ones are replaced each day. Separate from the little ones in the bathroom. You will have an ice bucket with ice replaced every day, too.

4. is being topless (in the adult areas of course) frowned upon? pool areas that is lol :cool:

Yes it is. The top decks are no longer topless, and especially around the pools.

thanks guys :)