"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

If you don’t need your passport, take a copy of it at least...
Excellent idea. I carry a color photocopy of my passport identification page in my wallet at all times at home and when I travel. The one time this procedure came really handy was when I tried using my American Express at a bank ATM in a small French village and the machine gobbled up the card. The passport copy made getting a replacement credit card a piece of cake.

I have always heard to take your passport with you to the ports because if you miss the boat you can’t get back home. Any information would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have always heard that the ship will open your safe and deliver your passports to the port agent. If anyone knows this to be false I would like to hear from you. I really dislike having my passports on me do to the theft issue. No government authority will honor a photo copy but it does have all of your info which would be helpful in applying at a consulate for an emergency replacement. However a picture on your phone would work the same.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Mobile passport

This is an app by the US government where you can put in your passport information or simply scan it and upload picture. Then you have your passport with you in your phone whenever you need it.

You can use it in the mobile passport lane of customs in airports and at Fort Lauderdale cruise port when you come through customs coming home

Mobile passport

This is an app by the US government where you can put in your passport information or simply scan it and upload picture. Then you have your passport with you in your phone whenever you need it.

You can use it in the mobile passport lane of customs in airports and at Fort Lauderdale cruise port when you come through customs coming home

Mobile Passport doesn't replace your passport. It's a means of transferring data that normally would appear on a U.S. Customs Declaration Form (6059B). You still need to present a valid passport when you use the Mobile Passport app.

Does the Mobile Passport app replace my U.S. passport?

No. The Mobile Passport app replaces the traditional paper customs declaration paper form. You must still present your valid physical passport during inspections with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

https://mobilepassport.us

But Mobile Passport does allow you to use the Global Entry lane at Port Everglades and many airports when returning to the US from overseas, and it's a worthwhile app for that reason.

I never meant to imply it was a replacement. I was suggesting it could serve as another way to store your passport so that you did not have to carry it with you all the time.

Another idea is to photograph your signature page and email it to yourself for an emergency situation where you would need that information.

I never meant to imply it was a replacement. I was suggesting it could serve as another way to store your passport so that you did not have to carry it with you all the time.
You don't think there's contradiction in what you just said?

Despite the app name, Mobile Passport does not in any way substitute for carrying your passport at a time when a passport is required.

It stores your passport number and expiration date, but for example you can take anyone's photo as your picture in the app. You can manually change any of the entries it scans from your passport. You can even forego scanning and manually enter all of the passport info the app uses

The entire function of the app is to facilitate a paperless customs declaration form and to enable the traveler to use the Global Entry queue on return to the US without having to pay a fee.

1) Your cruise starts LONG before you get to the dock. Read these boards. It's addictive yes, and you might not agree with all of the information on it, but there is a lot of good useful information on this site.

2) Bring a small "gift" for your cabin steward from your hometown. I bring a t-shirt from our local area, but any souvenir will do. I wrap it in cellophane and add some candy and then put a note on the outside with a quick hello message (basic info about who we are and how excited we are about this cruise). I carry it on board, and put it on the top of the bed as soon as we board.

3) Call room service each day, and ask them to deliver a pitcher of ice water with lemon. It is nice to have that pitcher in your fridge when you get back from your day's activities (don't forget to tip the room service person)

Which brings me to 4) bring small pre-made cello envelopes with a $2.00 tip (and again I add candy and a small pre-printed thank you) for room service. Our travel friends used to "make fun of me" for my creative tip envelopes, but when room service showed up when we were in the fjords with a second pot of hot coffee after we had been outside in the freezing cold for an hour (without being called) everyone agreed it was because I gave that "goofy" tip.

5) Suck the marrow out of the cruise. Go and do the things that might be a little out of your "interest zone", talk to people that talk to you, try foods that you might not necessarily order at home. And most important....leave all of your troubles at the dock. Turn your phone off, do not pick up email (unless it's for business) and have the BEST TIME!!!

Your post is the best in this tread. So spot on and I love the top idea so I’ll be stealing/borrowing that thanks! [emoji4][emoji4]

Nope. I was just suggesting ways to have your passport information available without having to carry it with you when you leave the ship or hotel.

Just FYI: we’re currently in Barcelona, and the port authorities require that we bring our passports on shore with us. Just found that out tonight.

this thread is very informative,when we cruise we always have little gifts for the crew .from the chef to the room service ,they will always take care of you.

It is so nice to see them happy as they too are far from home. Never thought of a more personal way to give the tips,.will carry thank you notes with us..

Thank you for all the info.

LLoyd & Mary Purdy.

The last cruise I was on our passports were taken when we boarded and returned them to us when we needed to have them in port. They needed them for visas except for India where we had to get our own visa.

With so much information in this thread reflecting a broad time frame and array of advice, I took from what I found useful and had a successful cruise. I was prepared, almost too much.

Some pearls from my recent 5 day stint on the Ecstasy :

* The balcony was so worth it.

* So was the bottomless bubbles.

* I'm glad I knew about the "secret" doors. Exploring the ship was more fun knowing some areas would be less populated. Those foredecks were quaint and peaceful.

* bring laxatives or stool softeners just in case. I had my own pharmacy packed, of sorts, but forgot that. With the plethora of food my gut was certainly affected.

* definitely bring your own refillable tumblers. The small cups at the buffet don't last long and I would have been better at staying hydrated if I had my own 24 oz. Cup. That s something I had on my list but the one thing on it I forgot.

* never used my highlighters. I was the only one of our party of five who even looked at the days activities and informed everyone else of things they might like. I found the app to be more useful this way. I could select the things I liked and it would alert me when it was time.

* had luggage damage and even duct tape wouldn't help much. The strap was ripped from a seam and I couldn't quite get the sturdiness. We managed because it was a duffel with two straps secured together and when upended it rolled from a different handle.

* didn't bring a watch but the tv and some spots had a clock.

* I really did take more clothes than I needed despite already paring down.

* I took more cash than needed, but that's no biggie. We might have used it if we had more time in port .

* blue lagoon was excellent but time was wasted in the queuing off the ship, waiting for the ferry both to and from the island

* food on princess cays was not worth it but it was much better on Blue Lagoon. Part of the disappointment was in the set up. Not organized and way too long to wait. Plus who has cold foods out in the hot buffet (coleslaw and potato salad); that's a recipe for a foodborne illness.

* it's really ok to do nothing. Relax. Enjoy your break. Enjoy your loved ones.

* medical staff are nice and while they have limits to what they can Do, it's fair enough. There are things within those limitations that I'd still approach differently but I wasn't consulted .

I'm going to disagree on the gifts. Crew quarters are tiny, they have no room for knick knacks. Cash is nice though, as well as a thank you and a smile.

Anything that they can eat is greatly appreciated. Not only is their cabin small and shared but they have to fly home and luggage does not allow gifts.

I agree that small gifts are nice, but that the crew prefers money or yummies that don’t start to take up space. Imagine if many people brought small knick knacks, souvenirs of where they come from, etc. That would create problems both while in the cabin and in their luggage going home! I agree, money and/or consumable items are the best. I think the best policy is to put yourself in their place - what would you like to have?

We where on a 36 day cruise and the crew where very glad to take something special

home to their wife or mother,so I feel it is personal choice,whether it be Money,candy special Tee shirt or something that they can not get in their country. It is the thought that counts.

Regards

Mary.

I agree that small gifts are nice, but that the crew prefers money or yummies that don’t start to take up space. Imagine if many people brought small knick knacks, souvenirs of where they come from, etc. That would create problems both while in the cabin and in their luggage going home! I agree, money and/or consumable items are the best. I think the best policy is to put yourself in their place - what would you like to have?

Uh, candy?

We where on a 36 day cruise and the crew where very glad to take something special

home to their wife or mother,so I feel it is personal choice,whether it be Money,candy special Tee shirt or something that they can not get in their country. It is the thought that counts.

Regards

Mary.

I’m a teacher and when I receive a gift I don’t want, I don’t tell them! I smile and say thank you. Just because they said they were glad and appreciative doesn’t mean they are. They really live in a tiny space! Do you think the crew would still be on board if they told you “no, I don’t want your gift”.

Money talks— that’s always a gift crew will like!

• Like 2

I’m a teacher and when I receive a gift I don’t want, I don’t tell them! I smile and say thank you. Just because they said they were glad and appreciative doesn’t mean they are. They really live in a tiny space! Do you think the crew would still be on board if they told you “no, I don’t want your gift”.

Money talks— that’s always a gift crew will like!

I need to click a LIKE button for you [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

Just wanted to thank everyone for all of the great ideas in this awesome thread! Spent a week reading over all of the tips and can't thank everyone enough. So many times I was thinking, "what a great idea". Already so excited about my first cruise to Alaska in September...and these boards are helping to make the trip even more special with all the fun planning. Thanks again! :)

For those who are cruising to Alaska:

• Layers, Layers, Layers - Rain, warmth & wind protection
  • We truly enjoyed seeing the Glaciers from the Hot Tub - you can hop out long enough to get a great picture!
  • Highly recommend spending time seeing part of the Interior - you can do this via the train, ships tour or our favorite car -- Get out, hike & enjoy :cool:

This is an amazing thread--thanks to all who've contributed tips; I hope I'll be able to put some of them to use on my first cruise in January. Having never cruised, I can't offer suggestions on that topic, but there's been a lot of discussion here on memory cards for cameras, and I thought I'd mention something on that.

Before my wedding (about 10 years ago), I found a handy device on eBay that was pretty much a laptop hard drive, memory card reader (supporting most formats), and rechargeable battery, all in a single package about the size of a larger smartphone. I asked our guests that if they'd be willing to share their pictures, they see the best man before leaving, and at the push of a button, the photos were copied off the memory cards and onto the drive. A device like this would give both a backup and extra storage, and be much smaller than taking a laptop along. It was something like this, though I remember it being considerably less expensive (and it didn't do WiFi).