"I wish I knew before..."

T&Dcruisers

My wife and I just booked our first cruise this week. We have wanted to do a cruise since the Love Boat days but she has been afraid of getting seasick. We are celebrating our 30th anniversary this year and decided we were going to Italy (her parents and all her siblings were born there). We saw a great deal on a Mediterranean cruise and said that we were going to try it this year.

All these tips and hints on this board are so helpful. Thanks.

One thing I didn't see that we always bring with us when we travel is Ziploc bags (maybe that is the cellobags that were referred to before). We use them for damp bathing suits, dirty clothes, liquids or loose change. Plenty of uses.

By the way, how do I post a countdown clock for my posts?

here are a few more thoughts. if you have an inside cabin you can tune the tv to the deck camera channel that feeds live video from up top. this way your room will begin to get light when the sun begins to come up. this helps you start to wake up as if you had a window. it is also fun to see what it happening up top before you get out of bed. also, consider a night light for inside cabins, especially is you are traveling with young kids. also consider a clock if you are not a watch person. i have to know what time it is a night if i wake up. if you are either an early riser or a night owl use these times to walk the ship. both as beautiful in their own way. i am an early riser and i loved just exploring the ship while it was still "asleep"!

finally, the best single piece of advice i can give is your attitude toward others will have a huge impact on how your cruise goes. i am always sad to see people angry and short tempered, or treating crew members like they are second classs citizians and then complain if they are treated poorly. if you treat people with kindness and respect you will get great service all the way around. if you experience a problem don't let it ruin your trip. on our last cruise we had to skip a port because of ther whole "swine flu" scare. this sent some people over the edge with anger. we just used it an a excuse to spend an extra relaxing and enjoying each others company. make the best of every situation and you will have a great trip

YOu have a great attitude!

1. If you plan to leave nice comments on the comment card at the end of the cruise, it's a good idea to jot down the names/jobs of the people rather than wait until the last day. It can be hard to remember the name of the cocktail waiter that brought you your DOD on the first day four (or more) days later. (DBF is very helpful when it comes to remembering the names of the pretty ladies in the gift shop or serving cocktails, LOL.) I just keep a little list going in the cabin and add to it as needed.

2. Even a newbie can handle making their own excursion plans, just do some research and make sure to leave plenty of time to get back - if you end up getting back early there will be something to do or see at the port.

3. Don't forget a small alarm clock, and nightlight.

4. Try breakfast and lunch in the MDR and a sandwich in the deli at least once.

5. Ship photographs - If you don't really like a particular background you will not like a picture of yourself in front of it either....also, if you see a background you like stop and get a picture taken - you don't have to buy it and you just never know.....we had a couple taken "just for fun" on our last cruise and one of them turned out absolutely great - the best picture ever of the two of us - we just bought the 8x11 and made copies of that when we got home.

Erin

I bring along a map of the deckplans from the brochure you get in any travel agency. It is hard to memorize where everything is and it seems as though the map in books are larger and easier to see. It was handy to have when we first got on the ship, since we had no idea where anything was.

Ballawana, you will LOVE the Med cruise. It was my favorite and I am planning to go again in 2011. Our was Western Med with mostly Italy and I could not get enough of it.

Regarding comment cards: It cannot be emphasized enough that these comment cards are very much used with regards to performance appraisals, promotions, and merit increases. By all means, please name their names and praise the ones who pleased you.

Edited by GlendaleCruiser

To everyone who has contributed on this particular forum, thankyou so very much. I have just read all six pages and written down many things, or items which I wouldn't have thought of :)...I have now discovered that I won't have room in my suitcase for clothes :eek:.

We are going on our first cruise from Sydney to Hawaii via French Polynesia on April 12th...and so looking forward to it. I am rather disappointed that Rhapsody of the Seas doesn't have a public laundry, which seems the norm on other cruise lines....and no hairdresser :rolleyes:, especially on a 16 night cruise.

Once again, thankyou so much for the many tips :)

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but be prepared to walk up and down A LOT of stairs. The elevators are slow, so it's sometimes faster to use the stairs.

By the end of every cruise my calves are killing me, but it's a great way to tone them :)

I have cruised many times with my kids. Here are the must haves in my opinion.

1. Fold up laundry hamper. We put it on the balcony and keep the stinky clothes outside.

2. Clothes pegs. I use them to attach wet bathing suits and towels to the deck chairs.

3. Sweater Sorter. Put this in the closet to give you more shelf space. Darn kids always take up the shelves that are there.

4. Travel Mug. Coffee cups onboard are TOO SMALL. I had to keep running back for more.

In regards to the kids. My kids couldn't even sit through our dinner without asking when they could go back to the camp. Cruising is the BEST when you have small kids. They love the camp and that gives us the time we need to be together and see shows. Speaking of which. My kids are a little older (13 and 10) but we go and see the evening show and if it is "clean" we usually get the kids out of the camp to come and see the later show.

Just my two cents worth.

Enjoy!

Bnaj! Thanks so much for the great tips! Especially about the travel mug!!!

I have cruised many times with my kids. Here are the must haves in my opinion.

1. Fold up laundry hamper. We put it on the balcony and keep the stinky clothes outside.

2. Clothes pegs. I use them to attach wet bathing suits and towels to the deck chairs.

3. Sweater Sorter. Put this in the closet to give you more shelf space. Darn kids always take up the shelves that are there.

4. Travel Mug. Coffee cups onboard are TOO SMALL. I had to keep running back for more.

In regards to the kids. My kids couldn't even sit through our dinner without asking when they could go back to the camp. Cruising is the BEST when you have small kids. They love the camp and that gives us the time we need to be together and see shows. Speaking of which. My kids are a little older (13 and 10) but we go and see the evening show and if it is "clean" we usually get the kids out of the camp to come and see the later show.

Just my two cents worth.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

i cut out the deck plan map from the cruise book i got from a travel agent. i made copies of the deck that have all public spaces (not cabin decks) i laminated them and will be giving them out to each family that will be traveling in out group. the map they give you on board is not very detailed and the size makes them a challange to read for some.:)

I'm glad this thread has been beneficial for most!

My addition, I brought a couple battery operated tealights with to keep on each nightstand. They were invaluable when trying to navigate the way to the bathroom in the interior cabin. And, for obvious reasons, ;)

This is a fantastic idea!! Much better than a night light.

Just got back from my virgin cruise and had a great time. Carnival Victory "7 islands in 7 days". Busy, but you get to see a lot.

HINT: its fun to barter with the locals. Just make sure you have plenty of ONES. It's not so good to get them down and then reach into your pocket and discover you only have bigger bills!!

CRAFTS: yes, they are selling their stuff. The only disappointing this was it was the same on every island, at every stop. They must bring it over in a containor from CHINA and sell to the locals for $1. THey of course, tell you $10 is a good deal.

Just amazing how all the "local" crafts are same throughout the islands. Did find some better local crafts on the FRENCH side of St Maarten.

I've seen several people mention not to miss formal night. I had planned to do what Nekhabet mentioned and just avoid the event. What is it about formal night that makes them something that the vocal majority seem to agree is a must do?

I've seen several people mention not to miss formal night. I had planned to do what Nekhabet mentioned and just avoid the event. What is it about formal night that makes them something that the vocal majority seem to agree is a must do?

It's like attending a party. I get to wear nicer clothes (my fave is my little black dress) and heels. The food and atmosphere in the MDR (Main Dining Room) is upbeat and everyone (for the most part) is on their best behavior and in a good mood. The wait staff adds to that atmosphere. My friends and I go from station to station to have our pictures taken even though we rarely buy them. Once in awhile we do--$22 for an 8X10 is actually cheap and you are looking your best.

Also..................you won't get lobster at the buffet that night--only in the MDR.

I don't want to repeat the great ideas that everyone has, but here are a couple I didn't see. Bring a small handheld tape recorder and make notes everynight. You will be surprised how much you forget when you get home. Which island was that? Comment cards are great, but if someone was really great, a letter written to corporate HQ will really get the person rewarded. We had someone get promoted based on a letter we wrote. Make sure you are always back on time. If not, you will embarressed as you run for the ship, or maybe even miss it as it sails away. Always tip and sometimes the best time to tip is at the beginning (how can a tip at the end get you better service?). Don't forget to tip those you have lots of contact with that are not on your regular "tip list". I always pack some bottled water, who wants to pay $2.50 a bottle onboard?

I also see a lot of references here to tipping. We have opted to pre-pay tips. Is this something that varies from one cruise line to another?

Most of the main lines are now moving to some form of either pre-paying tips, or letting you pay them on your ship account at the end of the cruise, rather than expecting you to run around on the last day, trying to hunt down everyone and hand them an envelope. But not all are doing the pre-pay -- more are billing you at the end of the cruise. But all of them are pretty clear up front what is expected: depending on the cruise line, anywhere from $10 to $12 per passenger per day, with some exceptions made on some lines for very young children (2 and under, for example).

Some folks do tip extra, above the "suggested amount", if they have a room steward who has been particularly helpful, or a waiter, or bartender...but that is not necessary. Most folks do tip the person who brings a room service order, but of course if you don't order food to your room, you don't need to be concerned about that, either. :p

So basically yes, there are some differences among the lines, but all expect that you will somehow tip the very deserving folks who make your cruise special!

To everyone who has contributed on this particular forum, thankyou so very much. I have just read all six pages and written down many things, or items which I wouldn't have thought of ...I have now discovered that I won't have room in my suitcase for clothes .

We are going on our first cruise from Sydney to Hawaii via French Polynesia on April 12th...and so looking forward to it. I am rather disappointed that Rhapsody of the Seas doesn't have a public laundry, which seems the norm on other cruise lines....and no hairdresser , especially on a 16 night cruise.

Once again, thankyou so much for the many tips

Be careful ;)

For our first cruise I was so very excited I purchased and packed all the items I saw listed on the cruise forums I read. Much of it never got used, some of it is still in a box under my bed with the tags still attached. If you don't think of it yourself, you probably won't need it and it will take up precious packing space and weight.

I have an over-the-door shoe holder that I used once. The bathrooms are tiny, but there is plenty of storage. At the desk there are cabinets to hold all your hair products and makeup, you won't want to be in the bathroom to do those things anyway. It's too steamy and there is no electrical outlet for a hair dryer.

I wish I would have known that people don't wear nice country club casual clothing during the day and that re-wearing the same slacks several nights is not a problem. Cruise ships are filled with average people, many of them dress like they are getting ready to clean out the garage in old T shirts and sloppy shorts. I had purchased us all new wardrobes. That, plus the above gadgets we didn't use could have paid the deposit for the next cruise :rolleyes: Most of the "cruise clothes" made it into the Goodwill bag a couple years later...I learned to not buy for a cruise, only buy what you will wear at home.

Your packing list should be personal and customized for your own use, there is no one packing list that fits all. Mine has been whittled down over the years, I take what is essential and crucial and leave the "what-ifs" at home.

We take:

Clothing and shoes, pack from the shoes up to eliminate multiple pairs

A small mending kit

Our own toiletries (I disagree the ship stuff is fine, only use it if you want dried out hair for a few weeks after the cruise) I have a personalized makeup travel kit that took a lot of tweaking to get it right, it is always packed. In it is all the tools I need in travel sizes, all my makeup is powdered so it doesn't have to take up precious 3-1-1 space.

A travel sized blow dryer as backup, I've had too many non-working blow dryers on ships, they sometimes cut out about half way through dry time

A small first aid kit with sample representations of remedies for common ailments, it fits into a clear 4 X 6 makeup bag

Our camera with plenty of memory and batteries

Our Ipods and travel speakers

A small battery powered alarm clock

My DVD player (my one over-packing item as I can't sleep without it)

If we're driving to port our pillows, if flying we just suffer the week without them :(

A very small fan, although these can be confiscated and held at port until disembarkation

a short extension cord, a 3 outlet power strip (this is just packed into my carry on all the time, we don't always use it)

I leave home from experience:

Duct tape, highlighter pens, cups, extra bags (you can always pack your beach bag as a carry on), over-the-door shoe holder, water wallets, money belts (exceptions are made). There is probably much more that I can't think of at the moment, I'll add later if I have any recall.

Edit to ask...Are you sure there is no hairdresser on your ship????

Edited by Happy ks

Happy ks - funny, I also cannot sleep without my dvd player, never heard of anyone else with that particular quirk! We are due to go on our first cruise in a month, and I was worried about the electrical for the dvd player. So you have had no problems with plugging it in?

Happy ks - funny, I also cannot sleep without my dvd player, never heard of anyone else with that particular quirk! We are due to go on our first cruise in a month, and I was worried about the electrical for the dvd player. So you have had no problems with plugging it in?

No problem plugging it in, but you will need an extension cord for it to reach over to the bed. Mine is a 6 ft. cord, the shortest I could find. The player lasts around 4 hours fully charged, but then I wake up and can't get back to sleep.

I have the same movie in the player almost every night. The A & E version of Pride and Prejudice, I could practically recite the lines from the whole movie. But, part one is around 3-4 hours long...a good bit of sleep for me!

I've really enjoyed reading these posts as I prepare for my third cruise. Many of my comments have been made, but here is what I'm reminded of:

1. the comments about tipping and keeping a good attitude and to have fun remind me that while there may be a couple of rotten eggs, almst everybody is a nice person and is there to have a good time and is perfectly willing to help ensure that everyone else has a good time, too. Cruising may not be the super-elite and exclusive adventure it once was, and I think that makes it better. It's regular folks, enjoying a holiday, feeling generous but aware of a budget, and expecting to have a good time.

2. I take my iPod with external speakers for some music in the room, or to listen to interesting podcasts while winding down. It also

plays videos, and I sometimes use one of my famliar recorded TV shows to help me fall asleep.

3. I like the idea of a digital voice recorder to help remember names and events. I always take a small spiral notebook on vacation- a new one for each

trip, and write down names and contact info of new friends,

highlights of the day, a good story I heard, etc. It keeps the trip

much fresher in my mind once it's over.

4. Fewer clothes, and room for my pillow. I really like to have slippers to wear in the room or a quick run to the laundry.

5. Stay on the ship at least one port day. It's less crowded and some prices are reduced on port days.

6. If you know you'll drink a lot of sodas, buy a fountain drink

card. But you might do just as well with the instant powder drinks that come in so many flavor. I bring a water bottle and crystal light lemonade packs and am content.

7. I know the prevailing wisdom is to book your own tours which are significantly less expensive than booking through the ship. But for me, having to arrange, at least sometimes, an additional leg of transportation at a cost, and the anxiety, as unrealistic as it may be, about an unforseen delay and missing the ship makes the extra $30 or $40 worth it, just for my ease

of mind. And, it might get included in the ship's videolog, which I can enjoy

on my cabin TV.

Use good judgement, follow the golden rule, smile, be nice to everyone. You'll have a spectacular vacation.

I completely agree- I take a travel journal with me on every trip. I love to capture the silly comments, beautiful moments and awesome sights every day and try to make a point to spend time every night "getting it all down".

Also, ziploc bags are a necessity.

As is aloe vera, bandaids and tweezers.

Lastly, an extra memory card for the digital camera or one large enough to take all the pictures. It's disappointing to me to have to delete pics 1/2 thru a trip to make room for the next days adventures!

I am just a mere 26 days from my next cruise and some of these tips are sooo helpful and are making me EVEN more excited! I can't wait!