Very specific Rome - Civ train questions.

FeelingCruisy

I know this topic has been covered extensively here, but I have a few specific questions.

1) There seem to be Regional, IC Plus, ESCity trains going into Civitavecchia from Termini. Are they all leaving from the same platform (track 27 - 30)?

2) When buying tickets, how do I know what I should be buying for? I don't suppose these tickets are interchangeable since they are of different prices. In the past, I only stick to Regional trains because they are the most available. But the other 2 seem to have shorter times.

3) Some Regionals (not all), all IC Plus and all ES City have 1st and 2nd class. I've been on the Regional trains on the Civ - Rome in the past and never did notice any 1st or 2nd class signage. How do I know what class I'm in? Would 1st class be emptier (more room for luggage)?

Thanks in advance. Hopefully I get some answers by Friday! :D

Let me see if I can answer a few of your questions.

1 -Generally the Regional Trains to Civitavecchia depart from platforms 26 - 29. This is where they are "scheduled" and probably 95% of them do leave from these satellite platforms. IC/ES City trains are USUALLY going to arrive and depart from the 1-24 platforms.... but on occasion,I have left from a satellite platform on these - quite rarely though in my experience... so I'd think these would be LESS likely to depart from platforms 26-29.

2 - If you buy a IC/ES City, a general statement would be that you'll have an assigned train and an assigned seat. Thus your ticket is locked into a specific train. If you buy a Regionale Train ticket, it is open seating and you can holdon to that ticket for up to TWO MONTHS - Note, there are "distance" restrictions on this! See this link for info: Trenitalia Regional Tickets!

Once you validate your ticket, again depending on distance, you have up to 24 hours. For runs over 200 km that time frame drops to 6 hours... and there are even more restrictions depending on what part of the country you are in or where you are going - CONFUSED YET??? Hey, this is Italy! Suffice to say, on a run to Civitavecchia, this should not be a factor. You miss one regional train, you're probably on the next.

The regional trains do take longer to Civitavecchia as they will make more stops. There are very few IC/ESCity trains that make the daily runs.Most are Regionale trains. No, tickets for IC/ES City are not viable for Regionale and vice-versa

3 -Yes, Regionale, IC, and ES City do both have 1st and 2nd class. Some Regionale trains DO NOT. (Frankly, I've been on very few "commuter" run Regionale that do have 1st class.) The signage is on the outside of the car. If it has a big "1" on the side, that's first class... no numbers usually means ALL cars are 2nd class... otherwise you may see a "2" for 2nd class. 1st class will definitely be more empty - few "everyday" Italians will pay this fee. Here you will find Italian businessmen and tourists. So you'll probably have more room for luggage.

Hope that answers your questions.... This rail link may help you on the trains - Riding trains in Italy - Good Luck!

It looks like Ron has answered your questions. I will add that if you're going to take a regionale train, and if you're not already in the neighborhood of Termini, you might be better off taking the train from one of the other Rome stations.

However, if you've got a lot of luggage to load, you'll have more time to do that at Termini. The tracks at Termini also don't require stairs, so that's a plus with luggage.

Personally, if I were to leave from Termini, I'd shoot for one of the ES City or IC trains.

Thanks so much for the replies. So detailed. One more question for the Regional trains from Rome Termini to Civitavecchia. I'll probably go for the Regional because they're more frequent, and also I've read the faster trains have a very short time in Civitavecchia to unload. I remembered buying tickets at the counter in the past and never asked for either 1st or 2nd class tickets. Do you know if they'd just automatically sell you the cheaper of the 2 tickets? And what if we accidently get into the 1st class car when we are holding the 2nd class tickets? Fine or pay the difference? Thanks again.

Thanks so much for the replies. So detailed. One more question for the Regional trains from Rome Termini to Civitavecchia. I'll probably go for the Regional because they're more frequent, and also I've read the faster trains have a very short time in Civitavecchia to unload. I remembered buying tickets at the counter in the past and never asked for either 1st or 2nd class tickets. Do you know if they'd just automatically sell you the cheaper of the 2 tickets? And what if we accidently get into the 1st class car when we are holding the 2nd class tickets? Fine or pay the difference? Thanks again.

If the particular train that you select goes beyond Civitavecchia, the stop there will be 2 minutes - just like the faster trains. They will automatically assume that you want 2nd class if you don't specify. Sometimes, although rarely, they will ask. In all probability, if you are in 1cl and you have 2cl tickets, they will just tell you to move - no guarantee however.

Ron has done a great job answering the OPs questions and I have saved his remarks for my archive (to help others in the future). We have long argued that in the case of trains between Civitavecchia and Rome, it does not generally make good sense to opt for the faster IC type trains. These trains require reserved seats, cost more, and only save about 15 -20 minutes. Another issue is that the IC type trains (particularly those that are running in the direction to Rome) are often late (keep in mind that these trains are often coming from a long distance and easily get behind schedule). We have seen folks pay more money and than stand on the platform for an hour while regional trains go to and fro. Another advantage of the regional trains is the availability of BIRG tickets. The BIRG ticket costs 9 Euros and covers round trip regional train service between Civitavecchia and Rome plus also covers unlimited use (for one day) of all the Rome bus lines and Metro (subway) system. The BIRG ticket does not cover the HoHo bus. For those planning to do Rome on their own we have long advocated getting the BIRG ticket, which is sold at the Civitavecchia ticket counter. When using a BIRG ticket, you must validate it (one-time) in the stamping machine (just like any other ticket) and than that ticket will also work for the Rome buses and Metro (insert the ticket into the turnstyle...it opens the gate and than is given back to you in a slot at the top). One warning! In Italy (and throughout Europe) it is required that you validate your train ticket in stamping machine before you get on a train. These machines are located near the platform entrance and sometimes on the platforms. Failure to validate your ticket will subject you to a fine (and these can be hefty fines) which are assessed on the spot by the train conductors.

Hank

Regarding time to unload, if you are not alone, I think the best strategy is to position one person on the platform while the other hands bags off the train, then gets off with the last one. That way it is obvious that you are in the process of departing, and the train is not going to pull out of the station with you half in and half out.

Thanks all for your reply. I wasn't aware that the BIRG costing 9 Euros covers round trip plus transportation in Rome. I can't remember what we did last time, even though it was only a year ago!.. Old age catching up fast. This time we're actually departing from Rome. When we take the train to Civi., can we get round trip tickets at the termini or is that too confusing for the ticket person because we're returning 2 weeks later. Does the tickets valid over a 2 weeks period? Or should we buy 4 tickets (2 ppl) at the Termini? Is the return ticket looks the same as the ticket going from Rome to Civi?

Same thing over in FCO, are these tickets sold from FCO to Termini the same tickets as from Termini to FCO (Leonardo Express trains)? Thinking we could save some time buy just getting the return tickets. Thanks all again,.

The BIRG ticket is only good for one day - at least at that price! You'd be better served buying your tickets as needed. Tickets are not priced as "round-trip" except on special AV/ES runs... so you will not save any money. You could buy your tickets all at once. IC or ES City tickets have reserved seating and cost more but you can pick a specific train and you will have to be on THAT train.

The Regional train tickets (open seating) can be held for up to two months without validation, so yes, you could buy those "return" tickets and hang onto them... The tickets will all look the same...

You can certainly purchase all your tickets in advance (Leonardo Express also), but we usually just wait as that gives us more flexibility...

As you exit the airport baggage area follow the signs to the train station at the airport. It is connected to Terminal 3 T3. Take the "regional" train to Roma Trastevere. Should cost €5.50 and you will have to go about 6 stops. The stops were announced in Italian and English.

We chose to use Roma Trastevere as the interchange instead of the main Roma Termini because from our readings it sounded smaller, less

intimidating, less gypsies and the bonus...cheaper. Determining which

platform to depart from can be tricky if the booths aren't open to ask questions but Sabina seemed to mark the line and it left from platform 1 but that may vary. (We asked the guard that stepped off the adjacent Leonado Express just to be sure.)

At Roma Trastevere you have to purchase tickets to Civitavecchia.

This can be done at the main ticket booth or at the machine on platform 2 which is the Pisa Civitavecchia platform. We elected to go to the main ticket booth. After arriving at Trastevere we used the elevator to go down from the arrival platform under the train lines, followed the exit signs and caught the elevator back up to the exit/main hall and tickets. I just stood in front of the ticket counter and said in my best accent "Chee-vit-a-veckia!" and in reply got a "si" (very comforting!) then some stuff I couldn't understand but it was clearly the price. With a bit of panic I found the digital display and paid €4.10. Reversed the elevator process and went to platform 2. There is a digital display on the platform that tells you where the train is going. I thought the train we were getting was going on to Pisa or Genova but in fact I was told that the trains to Civitavecchia terminate there. People on the platform and the train were helpful.

This train took just over an hour and we passed some very pretty coastline towards the end so, if you have the option, sit on the left side as you face the front. Once in Civitavecchia, exit the train

station and turn right. Follow this road and take a short walk (~400m) till you hit a T intersection and can go no futher. McDonalds should be in front of you. (see PS.) Go left towards the fort and the port entry where a shuttle bus to the ship will pick you up...don't try to walk.

Overall the trip was good. Trains clean but toilets stank...go in the

airport before you leave. We caught the 7:12 from the airport then

7:54 from Trastevere and arrived in Citavecchia just after 9am so it

takes around 2 hrs with good connections. If you arrive early linger

at one of the cafes you pass as you wander down the street dragging

that suitcase. There is nothing really at the dock. Chillout over a

expresso knowing you are almost there while congratulating yourself on

being such an intrepid traveller! Bon voyage!

PS. The street from the train station has a lot of cross streets, up

and down the gutters and crossing streets, so if you wish to make it

easier go across the road and walk along the waters edge using

essentially the same instructions but you do not hit the T

intersection per se.

Let me see if I can answer a few of your questions.

1 -Generally the Regional Trains to Civitavecchia depart from platforms 26 - 29. This is where they are "scheduled" and probably 95% of them do leave from these satellite platforms. IC/ES City trains are USUALLY going to arrive and depart from the 1-24 platforms.... but on occasion,I have left from a satellite platform on these - quite rarely though in my experience... so I'd think these would be LESS likely to depart from platforms 26-29.

2 - If you buy a IC/ES City, a general statement would be that you'll have an assigned train and an assigned seat. Thus your ticket is locked into a specific train. If you buy a Regionale Train ticket, it is open seating and you can holdon to that ticket for up to TWO MONTHS - Note, there are "distance" restrictions on this! See this link for info: Trenitalia Regional Tickets!

Once you validate your ticket, again depending on distance, you have up to 24 hours. For runs over 200 km that time frame drops to 6 hours... and there are even more restrictions depending on what part of the country you are in or where you are going - CONFUSED YET??? Hey, this is Italy! Suffice to say, on a run to Civitavecchia, this should not be a factor. You miss one regional train, you're probably on the next.

The regional trains do take longer to Civitavecchia as they will make more stops. There are very few IC/ESCity trains that make the daily runs.Most are Regionale trains. No, tickets for IC/ES City are not viable for Regionale and vice-versa

3 -Yes, Regionale, IC, and ES City do both have 1st and 2nd class. Some Regionale trains DO NOT. (Frankly, I've been on very few "commuter" run Regionale that do have 1st class.) The signage is on the outside of the car. If it has a big "1" on the side, that's first class... no numbers usually means ALL cars are 2nd class... otherwise you may see a "2" for 2nd class. 1st class will definitely be more empty - few "everyday" Italians will pay this fee. Here you will find Italian businessmen and tourists. So you'll probably have more room for luggage.

Hope that answers your questions.... This rail link may help you on the trains - Riding trains in Italy - Good Luck!

Thank you Roninrome, great info :D

In Civitavecchia, the BIRG can be purchased either at the train ticket office or, even easier, from the newsstand in the station.

BIRG tickets come in different denominations (depending on the number of "areas" you use it in) but the folks in the station at Civitavecchia (both the trenitalia ticket booth and the newsstand) know exactly what you're looking for.

we will be arrriving Monday April 19 and plan to buy the BIRG tickets

what times after 8AM do the trains run? (or please direct me to the correct website)

thanks.

Go to www.trenitalia.com

At the top of the page (middle), select English

In the red-bordered box on the right-hand side, select the appropriate starting and ending points (and whether you want one-way or round-trip information).

The starting point is Civitavecchia.

Depending on your plans, your ending point is either Roma Termini (main station in Rome) or Roma San Pietro (for the train stop nearest the Vatican).

Next enter the day, date, and time (using a 24-hour clock) that you wish to travel. Hit "Send" and you will get a schedule of the trains closest to your selected time.

I am reading this thread with great interest, and thank all of you so much for your patience. We plan to stay in Rome very near the Vatican. Am I understanding correctly that we could board the train at Roma San Pietro station and it would take us to Civitavecchia port? That sounds so much easier than trying to get to Termini station with luggage. I apologize in advance if all of this sounds confusing. I am just starting research and am still a little confused:o

Linda

Yes, you can board the train at San Pietro Train Station and pay E4.10 for a 2nd class regionale train ticket to Civitavecchia. Trains leave about every half hour during most parts of the day. I would suggest though to get a taxi to the San Pietro station from your hotel/B&B. It's a little out of the way and poorly serviced by the ATAC bus system. And the 64 bus, which ends there is infamous for pickpockets and being crowded. Neither a good alternative for a tourist with luggage.

See this post for an example of getting back and forth to Civitavecchia.

Thanks Ron, you are so very helpful.I just thought since this train station sounded like it was closer to the Vatican area, it might be a little easier to get to instead of going to Termini. I have a ton of research to do before May;)

I really appreciate the article that you linked!

Linda

Archived