pros/cons of booking 2 balcony rooms instead of 1 minisuite for a fam of 4

shod

How about one mini and leave the kids with the grandparents??

We have cruise many times getting a mini-suite every time the kids came along. Now that my kids are 4 and 7, I think we would like more privacy....

I priced out 2 BC category balcony rooms and they are very close in price to a single AB mini-suite for 4 which is absurd but the reality of cruising.

which accommodations would you choose and why?

note that adjoining rooms are not avail on this sailing and the rooms will be "joined" via the balcony. We plan on taking a small wireless baby monitor just to be safe if we go with the 2 rooms....

also, which BC type rooms have the biggest balconies on the Caribbean princess?

thanks

I agree with those who feel that 4 and 7 years old are too young to be in a balcony cabin by themselves. The 7YO is probably responsible but if anything should happen to the 4YO while you are in the other cabin, you'd never forgive yourself. That's too much responsibility to put on a 7YO, IMHO. I'd stick with the mini-suite for at least another few years.

Sorry, but anyone who would put 4 and 7 year old children in a cabin by themselves is just nuts, especially in a balcony cabin. I can just imagine a child on the balcony by himself deciding to climb on the railing for a better look. As a parent, I feel that if the children aren't old enough to stay at home without a babysitter when you go out then they are too young to be in a cabin by themselves on a cruise ship. They simply do not have the maturity to make the proper decision if any bad situation should arise.

Sorry, but anyone who would put 4 and 7 year old children in a cabin by themselves is just nuts, especially in a balcony cabin. I can just imagine a child on the balcony by himself deciding to climb on the railing for a better look. As a parent, I feel that if the children aren't old enough to stay at home without a babysitter when you go out then they are too young to be in a cabin by themselves on a cruise ship. They simply do not have the maturity to make the proper decision if any bad situation should arise.

Late on the FLAME and name calling, please read her post #5;)

consider connecting oceanviews or insides if must have separate cabins. I might think of doing that with the ages of children but not balconies. Heck, we cruised with our two DD's, all four to one cabin, (inside, OV, balcony) until they were 21. What a blast and the memories...priceless. Yep, it was tight at times but we made it work. How?? I have no idea, especially with bout 20 pairs of shoes between the three of them. Kinda miss those times.

Thanks for your replies.

We decided against the cross hall set up b/c the kids are still pretty young... maybe in 3-4 years. Also, I wouldn't want to get dressed to run across the hall in the middle of the night :)

We plan on removing all the furniture from their balcony for the duration of the cruise.... and I am sure we will hear my son opening the balcony door over the monitor. My 4 year old daughter isnt strong enough to pull that door open by herself. They are both good sleepers and are down for the night once they fall asleep.

Still the biggest con is the lack of access... if the rooms had inside doors, I would block their exit door with no concern but if my son locks the balcony door, the only other way into the room is the hallway door - so I cant block it....

That's just wrong! They are WAY to young to be alone in a cabin much less a balcony!

Connecting cabins would be great, unfortunately they are almost impossible to find on Princess ships. We have done side-by-side balcony cabins on three ships (Diamond, Golden, Crown) and connected via the door in the balcony partition. We found that it usually costs the same as four in a minisuite and we prefer having more space and the all important two bathrooms. However, we haven't let the kids sleep alone. DH sleeps in one room with one kid and I sleep in the other room with the other kid. As Elbon said, if you want privacy sign them up for late night in the kids' club.

Now that our kids are 13 and 9 I will probably put them in their own room on our next Princess cruise -- but no way would I have done that at 4 and 7 except if we had rooms that connected with an interior door. (Celebrity and RCCL seem to have lots of connecting rooms, which makes life easier. We have connecting insides for our upcoming Mariner cruise.)

I agree with the posters who say that 4 & 7 is two young to be in a room by themselves. No way would I do that! An inside would be better than a balcony, but neither is acceptable to me at that age.

I would go with the mini.

I agree. With kids that young, a mini-suite is the only way to go.

If that is what the OP wanted to do, he/she wouldn't be asking this question to begin with, right?:rolleyes:

I'm sure you didn't mean to be insensitive with this suggestion, but please realize not everyone has this option. I would love to leave my kids with their grandparents once in awhile, but my parents have both passed away and DH parent's are in extremely poor health. I think that it must be hurtful for those in similar situations to get this comment everytime they post something about traveling with their children, and I'm not just singling you out as I have seen this comment over and over again on numerous threads about traveling with kids. Again, I'm sure it is well-meant, but not a realistic option for many.

If people are traveling with their children, there is a reason they have chosen to do so. Perhaps they don't want to leave their kids behind and prefer to share vacation time together as a family or perhaps they don't have grandparents or reliable sitters who they feel comfortable leaving the kids with for an extended time. Whatever the reason, I think it's great that families travel together and cruising is a wonderful option.

That being said, I would agree 4 and 7 is a bit young for a separate balcony stateroom. I would go for the suite.

Just a suggestion as the OP said she wanted privacy with DH and that was the reason for two balcony cabins...I know their are times when the kiddos can't be left home for whatever reason.

I'm sure you didn't mean to be insensitive with this suggestion, but please realize not everyone has this option. I would love to leave my kids with their grandparents once in awhile, but my parents have both passed away and DH parent's are in extremely poor health. I think that it must be hurtful for those in similar situations to get this comment everytime they post something about traveling with their children, and I'm not just singling you out as I have seen this comment over and over again on numerous threads about traveling with kids. Again, I'm sure it is well-meant, but not a realistic option for many.

If people are traveling with their children, there is a reason they have chosen to do so. Perhaps they don't want to leave their kids behind and prefer to share vacation time together as a family or perhaps they don't have grandparents or reliable sitters who they feel comfortable leaving the kids with for an extended time. Whatever the reason, I think it's great that families travel together and cruising is a wonderful option.

That being said, I would agree 4 and 7 is a bit young for a separate balcony stateroom. I would go for the suite.

Why don't you book the 4 and 7 year old on a different deck, this way you would have total privacy?

Seriously, I sincerely hope the original poster was considering having one parent with one child in each room, and never both kids alone in that separate cabin- That would be almost criminal-- they could drink and smoke, and their parents would never know!

How about the 4 year old just waking up in the middle of the night confused and disoriented by being in a strange place without mommy or daddy? And then stepping out into the hallway with the door locking behind? That right there is enough reason for me not to do it, even with an inside room.

Thanks for all the replies... Nothing is booked yet -I just wanted to hear what other parents thought as this idea sparked in my mind. I didn't quite expect some of the responses I read though. The boys are girls sleeping arrangement is a good idea that I didnt think off (an idea such as that was the point of the post).

Im not sure why some of you are hung up on the balcony room. With nothing to climb on, I consider it totally safe. The railing is twice taller then my DD and my son wouldn't think of climbing up there even if he could. I guess everyone's kids are different. Some are more curious and rambunctious then others. I know when I can trust my own kids and when to not trust them. I would definitely not do the cross hall setup

I would like to specifically thank the poster who mentioned my kids smoking and drinking for wasting everyone's time. I would suggest you work on formulating your thoughts into proper constructive posts or move on.

Thanks for all the replies... Nothing is booked yet -I just wanted to hear what other parents thought as this idea sparked in my mind. I didn't quite expect some of the responses I read though. The boys are girls sleeping arrangement is a good idea that I didnt think off (an idea such as that was the point of the post).

Im not sure why some of you are hung up on the balcony room. With nothing to climb on, I consider it totally safe. The railing is twice taller then my DD and my son wouldn't think of climbing up there even if he could. I guess everyone's kids are different. Some are more curious and rambunctious then others. I know when I can trust my own kids and when to not trust them. I would definitely not do the cross hall setup

I would like to specifically thank the poster who mentioned my kids smoking and drinking for wasting everyone's time. I would suggest you work on formulating your thoughts into proper constructive posts or move on.

Expect the unexpected!

Best wishes and hope you have a great vacation!

I don't know about the balcony set up but we are doing the side-by-side insides for me and DH and the 3 kids in the other room. DD#1 is a few weeks short of 11, DD#2 just turned 10 and DS is 7. They will be beside us and we're spying on them with a baby monitor.

I don't know if any of you have ever used a baby monitor in your homes but the kids can't roll over in bed without me being fully aware of it (much less light up a cigarette or make themselves a martini :rolleyes:). I have no doubt I'd be able to hear, even in the middle of the night, if someone attempted to get out of bed and leave the room. If they wake up in the middle of the night, I'm also 100% certain they would just call for us - just like they do from their bedrooms at home. I mean think of it, when your kids wake up at home in their own rooms, they "technically" could wander right outside the house - but how many times does THAT happen. Nope, I'll get "Mooooooommmm!"

Im not sure why some of you are hung up on the balcony room. With nothing to climb on, I consider it totally safe. The railing is twice taller then my DD and my son wouldn't think of climbing up there even if he could. I guess everyone's kids are different. Some are more curious and rambunctious then others. I know when I can trust my own kids and when to not trust them. I would definitely not do the cross hall setup.

Your DD is only 1 1/2 feet tall? :confused: I understand where you're coming from - I too have sons who would have never climbed on anything when they were that age - they knew better! It sounds like you have well-behaved children too. Still, I wouldn't let my kids sleep alone at that age and I wouldn't separate DH and me either. The mini or full suite is the only way to go IMO until they are more like 10 & 8 yrs. old.

Also, remember that there are chairs on the balcony that can be put up against the railing. We laid down the law the first time our sons had their own balcony and never had a problem with it, ever, but they were older.

. . . That would be almost criminal-- they could drink and smoke, and their parents would never know!

Bwah, ha, ha: too funny! I'm picturing a four-year-old kicking back with a cigar and a martini, relaxing after a tough day of coloring in the Pelican Club. Priceless.

CanadaJulie is perfectly right and makes a lot of sense. My 7 year old can wake up in the middle of the night and just stroll out into the street. my 4 year old can technically make it to the basement and climb into the washing machine... but they dont. They can both run into the pool in the summer... but they dont. I know my kids and I know how far I can trust them... they have always had their own rooms and wont suffer separation anxiety...

Im going to think about this for a bit. thanks for all the helpful posts.

Personally, the only way I would feel comfortable with the 2 room plan with kids that young would be to put one adult and one child in each room. Sure, it's not romantic, but I personally think 4 and 7 is too young if the rooms are not adjoining. I do understand about the connection through the balcony, but that introduces a whole other set of worries.

I totally agree! Why on earth would you think it's okay to leave two children ages 4 and 7 alone in a balcony room? Patio furniture removed or not kids can climb like monkeys and I would hate to hear that your vacation was ruined by a tragedy that didn't need to happen. Plus, I don't know about you but I sleep like a log on while on board and you may not hear one of them get out of bed. I can't believe you'd take the risk just for "privacy"?

Sorry Shod, but I think you already knew that 2 balcony rooms were not the best idea for kids so young but you were looking for those few to make you feel better. Those that said 'sure, go ahead. no problem'. jmho

Minisuite is by far the safer, wiser choice. If you want privacy that's what the kids club is for and enjoy some afternoon delight. Or leave them at home. Those are the responsible choices that I see.

Archived