Price difference Northbound & Southbound

sashas_mom

What is it that makes it more popular if it's the same itinerary? Is it the fact that you end up in Vancouver?

It's commonly believed that the land portion of a one-way is more stressful so it's better to start with that land and then de-stress on the way south. Having been driver/guide for cruisetours for 17 years I don't believe that, but many people do. I like the way the scenery gets better and better on a northbound :)

I loved our two northbound cruises followed by independent land trips. I didn't find the cruise particularly restful - especially when you arrive in port or at a glacier at 7 a.m.! I also didn't find the land trip to be stressful because we went at our own pace and usually stayed 2 nights in each location.

Others mention getting the longer flight to Anchorage out of the way at the beginning of the trip as a reason to book a SB cruise. It's a long travel day whether you fly into Vancouver or Anchorage, and that reasoning had no impact on my cruise decision.

I read that I've been missing some great scenery along Vancouver Island that you only see during the daylight hours of a southbound cruise. Guess I'll have to do one of those (maybe in 2011) to see how it compares to northbound.

Like Murray, I like the "wow factor" of the scenery getting better and better as you go north. :)

I've cruised both directions several times. I like sailing inside Vancouver Island, during daylight, my preference. Each direction has their pluses, but it is not the "same" itinerary. Many people actually don't care about the scenery and enjoy what ever they see. I'm more picky. :)

I think there is a wow factor on both sailings.

I also never, give any consideration to the "land" portion being "hectic". IF it is, it's poor planning, in my opinion. And some cruisetours are big offenders of this. I too, am just as active during the entire trip. I'm not on a marathon interior Alaska tour, nor "relaxing" on the cruise. Each has to determine what is important to them.

Keep track of pricing trends yourself. They frequently change. I've seen both directions equally on the late booked clearance sales. BUT be especially watchful just before final payment, and count back the actual days yourself, IF you booked noncruiseline. Just about all booking agents add a week to the actual date. If you see a price drop, immediately contact the booking agent and request the adjustment.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was booking for a trip last July, Northbound was more expensive. I booked it anyways because that was the direction the ship was going on my birthday! I don't remember the exact price difference, but it was less than $100.

Archived