Why HAL?

kiggy

I book HAL for the relaxed, elegant atmosphere, and return because of the excellent service.

I just returned from 32 days on the Rotterdam, and must day I cannot imagine how the service could have been much better (although, except when Komang spotted me, help in the Lido was severely lacking).

My cabin steward and assistants, dining stewards, and especially the lounge stewards were beyond excellent. The officers were most friendly, and helpful.

Going on my first HAL cruise and was curious why people book with HAL. Would be interested in your thoughts!

Let me ask you a question before I answer yours...

Why did YOU choose HAL?

Not being smart or anything like that, but want to see why you chose HAL before I answer:)

People are always asking why I, and others chose HAL. So I think it fair to ask before I answer this time.:)

Joanie

We think we get good value for our money. Better itinerary choices. Lovely cabins. Quiet atmosphere. Wonderful library and reading rooms. Retained older cruising traditions. Primarily older adults, few children. Friendly and courteous staff. Good enough food. Wonderful beds. Good shore excursions.

I do believe you need to be "old" (in age or in heart) to best enjoy HAL. Old people (seasoned travellers) are my favorite kind when I cruise. And for a lot of funny reasons which they are the first to admit. I cruise more to get to places, than to just be in places.

HAL takes me there, I only unpack once and I get to go to more and different places than with other mainstream cruise lines. And with a smaller impact compared to the newer and larger cruising behemoths - do you want to land with 5000 other people or with only about 1500?

I love the smallest and oldest HAL ships best. I love the old Dutch decor and art as signature themes on these ships. I love their two-story dining room with full length windows. I love that they leave us alone, but we never feel unattended.

Going on my first HAL cruise and was curious why people book with HAL. Would be interested in your thoughts!

Each time I board one of HAL's lovely vessels the sensation that passes over me is one of being at home.

That pretty much says it all. I feel at home when I'm aboard; I feel at ease; I feel relaxed and peaceful ... ready for an elegant, classy, traditional ocean voyage. But, most importantly, I'm home. That's why I keep booking HAL cruises.

No problem -- I'm going because I've heard that it's an excellent line. I've been on Princess and RCI, and was curious to know if there was a big difference between the three. Thanks for asking!

Let me ask you a question before I answer yours...

Why did YOU choose HAL?

Not being smart or anything like that, but want to see why you chose HAL before I answer:)

People are always asking why I, and others chose HAL. So I think it fair to ask before I answer this time.:)

Joanie

No problem -- I'm going because I've heard that it's an excellent line. I've been on Princess and RCI, and was curious to know if there was a big difference between the three. Thanks for asking!

Thanks for understanding:)

I chose to cruise HAL originally because I'd heard that it was for people who did not want lots of kids running around and not a game type environment, like Disney etc.

Since the first cruise, we have had only elegance, wonderful service, absolutely fantastic food and really fantastic fellow passengers.

We continue to cruise with HAL for the reasons I listed above:D

Joanie

Thanks, Janice!

Thanks for understanding:)

I chose to cruise HAL originally because I'd heard that it was for people who did not want lots of kids running around and not a game type environment, like Disney etc.

Since the first cruise, we have had only elegance, wonderful service, absolutely fantastic food and really fantastic fellow passengers.

We continue to cruise with HAL for the reasons I listed above:D

Joanie

Hi Kiggy!

I have only been on 2 cruises and both with Holland America, Sept 2008 and May 2009. I chose HAL because my parents used to cruise a lot "in the old days" and raved about Holland America. I wanted to take our two grown kids on a "celebration" cruise and wanted to see if what my parents raved about was true.

I chose to book the 4 of us into one room instead of 2 so picked a deluxe verandah on the Ryndam. My daughter had no clue of what the rooms would look like (and I had only seen the brochure) and boy, we all thought we had died and gone to heaven!

The crew on the ship were so polite and willing to help if you had any problems at all or concerns. I did not want a "party" ship but a ship where our family could spend a relaxing time together and see the sights of Alaska. Both kids (in their 20's) found things to do whether it was games, reading, photography, movies, watching the wildlife from the ship, or meeting people in the Crow's Nest at night.

We absolutely loved the food on the Ryndam. The dinners in the main dining room were delicious and if you want more they are very happy to bring you more. My husband and son loved the buffet but my daughter and I loved the room service!

I don't think you will be disappointed unless you want to party. Have a wonderful time.:)

First of all the Crew is amazing! - they pay attention to the smallest detail- and are the happiest crews on the seas - smiles everywhere - they are truly happy to see you and share.

The ships are not as large and the setting becomes more personal.

The BEDS are wonderful - you really get a good rest.

Finally as I always say its just the finishing touches -

I'm comfortable on a dam ship... I like the crew, the ports, the Crow's Nest, the Explorations Cafe, the food, and most of the passengers. I've never been on a cruise where I didn't meet interesting and interested people. I like walking on the promenade teak deck, however you pronounce it. I like walking around the ship after dinner and listening to the music in the different areas. I think HAL provides good value for my time and money. I like the general size of the ships, although I also like the 100 passenger size. I feel that I'm taken care of, but not smothered. I feel safe on HAL, and am impressed with the ability of the captains and crews.

In a few weeks (okay, 44 days, but who's counting), I'll find out how I like a cruise with a lot of sea days--up to now my cruises have been port-intensive. I expect to like it just fine.

Our TA suggested HAL, we have only cruised P & O South Pacific, and Star Cruises Asia before. and this will be to Alaska. I will be asking more questions when the time gets closer, at the moment I am reading all the posts, in 100o heat. (warmer climes of OZ) We have booked an inside cabin so I can get some sleep. We are on the Zuiderdam May 22 2010.:D

My first HAL cruise. 2004. 17 days on the Amsterdam cruising South America.

HAL made me feel like a princess. I was wined and dined and made to feel like the royalty I would surely be if the gods were just. He (HAL) has done that every time since.

The crew is the very best on the high seas. Service is absolutely amazing. The ships are designed with grace and elegance; light and air.

I cheated once – with Cunard. I came running back to HAL.

I agree with Sail7Seas; once you’ve sailed, you won’t need anyone else to answer this question for you. Happy sailing!

Diann

I do believe you need to be "old" (in age or in heart) to best enjoy HAL.

I disagree. I am neither old in age nor heart and have completely enjoyed the 2 cruises I've taken on HAL. There is something for everyone on HAL ships, including Club HAL for the children. I believe that HAL is trying very hard to revamp its "geriatric cruiseline" perception and appeal to people of all ages. In my view, they are doing a very good job of this.

Diane

I disagree. I am neither old in age nor heart and have completely enjoyed the 2 cruises I've taken on HAL. There is something for everyone on HAL ships, including Club HAL for the children. I believe that HAL is trying very hard to revamp its "geriatric cruiseline" perception and appeal to people of all ages.

Oh dear, I hope they don't. :confused: Being "old in heart" is a compliment; not a put down. We like things done in the old-fashioned way with courtesies, manners, and a nice dose of formality.

I cruised with HAL to Alaska fourteen years ago, and a few years later cruised through the Panama Canal with HAL, just about time that Carnival was buying them and they were getting rid of their last steamship (which I was on.)

When I went on the 19-day Canal cruise, my friend and I were fortunate enough to be seated at an officer's table, which meant that the officer sat with us on the 5 (Five! Right!) formal nights of the cruise, and he bought the wine for the table on those nights. Additionally, we were able to arrange a tour of the engine room and other places in the bottom decks, plus we were invited to lunch in his quarters one day.

So, two years later, in 1999, we found ourselves on the (then) new Rotterdam for 12 days. This time, a cabin steward was able to find us a corkscrew and some wine glasses, although I think we were supposed to take our port-purchased wine to the dining room and pay a fee to drink it. (We had done that one other day earlier in the cruise.) We sat with very interesting people at dinner, and enjoyed the promenade walks all the way around the ship. My friend got slightly ill during the trip, and our dining room servers and her and my cabin stewards were very concerned and helpful about her condition. What a contrast with my latest cruise experience on a different line!

In the intervening ten years since my last HAL cruise in 1999, I've been on five cruises on other lines. Nothing has matched the level of service I received on those three HAL cruises, although there was a slight, but noticed, decline in the level of service in the bars from 1997 to 1999.

I will be cruising South America with HAL sometime in the winter of 2010/2011, unless I get so rich in the meantime that I can afford Regents or some other luxury line.:D

Oh dear, I hope they don't. :confused: Being "old in heart" is a compliment; not a put down. We like things done in the old-fashioned way with courtesies, manners, and a nice dose of formality.

Not to worry. Those wonderful attributes that HAL affords to all its passengers will surely be perpetuated no matter what age the clientele. It's HAL's style and it's what they do best. The point I'm trying to make is that you do not have to be of advanced age to enjoy a HAL cruise. My first cruise with HAL was on the Eurodam to the Caribbean and when I booked it I wasn't aware of the reputation HAL had, e.g., older demographic. There was a wonderful cross-section of all ages on that cruise from babies on up. No age group dominated. My second cruise was to Alaska. There were few chldren and even fewer elders. I'd say the average age on that cruise was 50. In my book, 50 is way below "old in heart."

Of course, these were both 7-day cruises so the demographics typically skew younger on those. The longer voyages would skew older on any line for obvious reasons...they have the time to get away and are not hampered with jobs.

HAL's lovely traditions won't end due to younger passengers beiing on board. What's wonderful is that there are many younger passengers who want to cruise on HAL because of their traditions. May I suggest that you also try to enjoy and appreciate the "young of heart" passengers. They are the future of HAL's pax and deserve the same respect as the "old at heart" pax.

One last thing...old is a state of mind. Period! :D

Diane

I disagree. I am neither old in age nor heart and have completely enjoyed the 2 cruises I've taken on HAL. There is something for everyone on HAL ships, including Club HAL for the children. I believe that HAL is trying very hard to revamp its "geriatric cruiseline" perception and appeal to people of all ages. In my view, they are doing a very good job of this.

Diane

You know I sort of get what SwissMyst was saying though. I think what made me book our first cruise with HAL (2nd overall) was that I wanted to try a cruiseline that was well yes old at heart but classic. It sounded simple yet elegant and I didn't feel that on NCL. Not that NCL didn't have it's own appeal but it wasn't in my mind what I wanted in a cruise ship. HAL seems like it is more what cruises used to be like (before they had amusement parks on them and 6,000 passengers) but with classy modern amenities thrown in so it does appeal to lots of different people. Where the appeal of the ship is not how many water slides, bowling alleys or restaurants there are but the service, food, teak decks, spa, cabins, itineraries and for what I thought was a good price.

Everyone on CC is so good at describing their experiences on HAL that I'm having a great cruise already and haven't even sailed yet.

First, welcome back Ruth! I missed your postings. Know you had a lovely time. Am so envious of your 32 day cruise.

Why sail HAL? Elegance. Tradition. Wrap-around promenade deck. Polite passengers, no matter what age. Best mattress at sea. Well-mannered children. Interesting people, a lot who have traveled more than we have. Wonderful service. Smiles everywhere. Low-key tempo. Or entertaining night-life if you want it, which we enjoy until 1 or 2 in the morning.:)

Thanks for all the good feedback. My husband and I are in our late 40's, are not partiers, and love the beauty of the ocean. HAL seems awesome to me, and I'm really looking forward to the cruise!

Hi, Kiggy. This post caught my attention because it describes my husband and me. :) Well, except that we will soon be right in the middle of our 50's. :eek:

We chose HAL for our first cruise (to Alaska, July 2009) because four of our friends made HAL sound so wonderful. We were not disappointed. We had a couple of nitpicks about our Zuiderdam cruise but no real complaints. HAL allowed us to sail in the manner that we wanted and supported us with great service and food. We had booked a verandah suite but took an upsell to an SA suite. In early 2010, we will be sailing the Caribbean in that very same SA suite on the Zuiderdam.

Based on your description above, I think you will like HAL very much.

Joan

Archived