Guadeloupe

mueller

Celebrity goes there and has only 1 page of excursions.
I'd find something to select from that 1 page of excursions -and be glad to do it? ;)

Feedback re. the capital Pointe-a-Pitre is generally not positive

and everyone speaks French (or local Patois!)

so I reckon this would be one of those few Caribbean ports

where a ship's tour is probably the best way out.

Either that or just stay on the ship

but as always...it's a shame to come all this way, to just stay on board. :cool:

Can anyone tell me something about this port? Celebrity goes there and has only 1 page of excursions. I can't really find information on private ones either. Why stop at this island?

I went to this port last year on my 14 day cruise. It was the one port that I had to do alot of research on because of the limited amount out there (at least in English).

I suggest typing "Guadeloupe" under a search mode and go from there. I was able to find some vendors that offered tours,but often needed at least 4 to 5 people. The tours varied and the pricing ran from $45 and above. I was aware of this because the Euro is stronger than the dollar and I adjusted my spending for this.

I found a wonderful tour with shoretrips. I did the Jungle Safari Adventure tour. It requires at least four people for the tour to operate. I was lucky because while no one else from my ship did the tour, there was a family from France staying on the island that booked the tour. There was a total of six of us. The driver was an excellent tour guide and translator esp since I can understand French,but only speak a little. The family from France only spoke French. I was really worried at first,but it end up being a great time because of the guide. He was really great on translating for everyone.

We started out in Point-a-Pirte. We were in a Land Rover. After leaving the city we hit on a small road and then on to small dirt roads in the sugar can fields. We made several stops and cut sugar cane,fruit and even found a termite hill (they taste nutty!! It took alot of effort to get me and the grandmother to try them,but it was a great icebreaker even without us speaking each other language :D). I will always recall being in the middle of a sugar cane field on a warm Sunday morning with the sun shining and the mountains as a backdrop.

We then drove across a cow pasture to a beach area. We also went to a beach called Pointe Nogent. You have to be a local to find this one and there was only 10 other people around.

The highlight of the tour was having lunch at a local woman house in Deshaies. She had a wonderful garden surrounding her home. Her patio overlooks the ocean. She greeted us with local rum mixed with fruit punch and also a fruit punch. The lunch was a salad, blood sauage, stewed chicken, plantatins, and other local items. It was fun having lunch and listening to the flow of French. They all tried to include me in the talk,but I told my guide that I just enjoyed listening to everyone and savoring sitting on a open patio,eating a local lunch so far way from my daily life.

Our host served coffee from beans that she grew. The coffee was so good.

I purchase a bottle of passion fruit rum and coffee from her. My only regret is I only purchase one bottle of rum!! Out of all the islands I've been to, this was the best local rum!!

We then went to a local waterfall where we had to climb down to get to. This was also a local only spot where you had families picnicking and enjoying the water. I just sat with my feet in the water having a great time.

We headed back to the port area to drop me off.

This tour was one of the best that I ever had on any of my cruises.

The price was the highest that I ever paid ($150). But it was worth every dollar and I would do it again.

I hate to say that many of the ship didn't like this port. I blame this on the cruiseline for not offering great tours. I found them on my own and couldn't understand why the cruiseline couldn't do so.

The website for shoretrips is

http://www.shoretrips.com

If you need any more info, I will check back on this page from time to time

I attached some pictures of that wonderful day.

Well done, Airlink Diva!

That's one of the nicest, most enthusiastic days in Guadeloupe I've read about

in many a Mango season! ;)

Thanks for your review.

Having spent two 1-week stays on the island (1966 and again in 1978)

I knew this bigger island somewhat

and have always found it exciting, despite the Francaise language barrier.

It always helps to try out your French, even if you're not good at it.

The locals appreciate you at least try to do it their way

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived