Onboard account deposit - question about cash

2Labs2Many

I know that the options for placing the $60/pp/per day deposit can be done with credit card or by placing cash at the office. When they refer to "cash" do they mean actual currency or is there some other method that is preferred?

We're committed to doing without credit cards for this trip (even for the deposit) and I'd rather not tie up that amount on our debit card in case it takes a while to be released after the trip, so I want to place a deposit once we get on board the ship.

Any specifics I should know about that? Large bills okay? I assume they don't take checks. (we'll be traveling on a 15 day cruise so it will be rather large).

Not sure if they take cheques (or checks for you US guys) but I know they will take whatever cash you have. Even large bills. My friends usually pay for their bill in cash about half way through and then the rest at the end. Good for you for not using credit!

I know that the options for placing the $60/pp/per day deposit can be done with credit card or by placing cash at the office. When they refer to "cash" do they mean actual currency or is there some other method that is preferred?

We're committed to doing without credit cards for this trip (even for the deposit) and I'd rather not tie up that amount on our debit card in case it takes a while to be released after the trip, so I want to place a deposit once we get on board the ship.

Any specifics I should know about that? Large bills okay? I assume they don't take checks. (we'll be traveling on a 15 day cruise so it will be rather large).

A very good question and one that I have thought of posting myself. I like you do not use credit cards. I do have a debit card, but like you don't wish to use that.

I wonder also if using cash for the deposit, can you leave less then the $60 per day? No way would we ever spend that much even with the hotel charge figured in. I might spent $30/day. So what happens if I show up with out enough cash to cover the $60 per day? Would I not be allowed to board?

I have started buying onboard credit so that we have a nice cushion before we sail, however last time I just went down to the Front Desk on the second to last day and paid down my account with Traveller's checks. They were happy to take them, and I did not have to carry a lot of extra cash with me.

She gave me a receipt and the credit showed up the next morning on our final bill. Easy and painless.

Bev

I registered for my December cruise and it stated that we either had to have a credit card on file with enough credit available for $60 per person per day. For my family of five that requires $2100. They stated that if no card was filed they would require a cash deposit. I have cruise a lot and there is no way we will be spending that much on board but there was no option to reduce or opt out. I gave them an American Express account but hope to be paying off in cash the last day.

• 3 months later...
I have started buying onboard credit so that we have a nice cushion before we sail, however last time I just went down to the Front Desk on the second to last day and paid down my account with Traveller's checks. They were happy to take them, and I did not have to carry a lot of extra cash with me.

She gave me a receipt and the credit showed up the next morning on our final bill. Easy and painless.

Bev

That sounds like a great idea. How do you go about buying onboard credit in advance?? Thank you.

If you actually have a credit card, but don't wish to make charges on it,

give it to HAL to guarantee your $60/day deposit, and then simply pay off

your account in cash on the last day. Then they will release the hold

and nothing will actually go through as a charge.

That way you will not have to carry the full deposit requirement in cash,

particularly if you feel you will not spend nearly that much on board.

If you actually have a credit card, but don't wish to make charges on it,

give it to HAL to guarantee your $60/day deposit, and then simply pay off

your account in cash on the last day. Then they will release the hold

and nothing will actually go through as a charge.

That way you will not have to carry the full deposit requirement in cash,

particularly if you feel you will not spend nearly that much on board.

Thats what I am going to do! Just pay cash at the end. :D I have done that in the past. Given them my creditcard and nothing was ever charged on it unless I wanted them to.

This is a credit hold, not a charge. It simply means they, HAL, want to be certain that at the end of the cruise you will be able to pay for what is on your account with a valid credit card. You may NOT use a personal check to pay your bill or to establish credit. You may prepay using OBC, you may bring enough cash (currency) to the ship (but I don't know why you would even want to do this).

Be careful before placing credit card holds.

I had a credit card jack up my interest rate. The only way to keep the interest rate from going up, was to opt out of the rate hike by promising to not use my card. Using my card, even for a hold that gets rescinded after I pay case, would cause the interest rate to go up.

Similarly, putting holds on your cards could cause you to go over your limit. Granted, new legislation makes that less painful than it used to, but it's a problem for some people.

Be careful before placing credit card holds.

I had a credit card jack up my interest rate. The only way to keep the interest rate from going up, was to opt out of the rate hike by promising to not use my card. Using my card, even for a hold that gets rescinded after I pay case, would cause the interest rate to go up.

Similarly, putting holds on your cards could cause you to go over your limit. Granted, new legislation makes that less painful than it used to, but it's a problem for some people.

Well, and if you don't use the card (because you don't want the interest to go up) ... eventually the card issuer will cancel the card/close the account due to nonuse. Or, under the new legislation, they may assess a monthly or annual nonuse fee.

We felt similarly as has been posted. We are a family of 5 and our hold amount is $3000 for a 10 day cruise. We don't carry balances ever so the credit is not an issue in general. I just think it is strange that they would expect our 10 yo daughter to rack up any charges at all! And my boys won't be allowed to rack up any charges! :D They are 19 and 17.:rolleyes:

diane

We felt similarly as has been posted. We are a family of 5 and our hold amount is $3000 for a 10 day cruise. We don't carry balances ever so the credit is not an issue in general. I just think it is strange that they would expect our 10 yo daughter to rack up any charges at all! And my boys won't be allowed to rack up any charges! :D They are 19 and 17.:rolleyes:

diane

I think that you can set up the keycards for the kids to have absolutely no charging privileges, if that is your desire. You might call HAL or your travel agent to see (1) if you can limit or deny charging by any of the kids and, (2) how that would impact your credit card hold.

Well, and if you don't use the card (because you don't want the interest to go up) ... eventually the card issuer will cancel the card/close the account due to nonuse. Or, under the new legislation, they may assess a monthly or annual nonuse fee.

They can't cancel it; its not our contract (or agreement). But, yes, generally, non-use does result in cards being cancelled. I'm *trying* to go completely credit free. Kinda hard after financing college and law school with so many types of credit!!

Mortgaging my future for my profession sucks. So, I have all sorts of schemes for getting out of the credit vortex I'm in. :) Anyway, just a word to people to remember that the hold can have some consequences even if they pay cash before the end of the cruise. That's all.

This is a credit hold, not a charge. It simply means they, HAL, want to be certain that at the end of the cruise you will be able to pay for what is on your account with a valid credit card. You may NOT use a personal check to pay your bill or to establish credit. You may prepay using OBC, you may bring enough cash (currency) to the ship (but I don't know why you would even want to do this).

Do HAL debit your credit card with the $60 per day charge prior to sailing or is it just a guarantee that the funds are available? We pay our Cards by the due date and never pay interest, but the due date will occur while we are travelling. We could pre pay the cards, but may not use that much credit, just need some advise as to the best way to go please.:confused:

I know friends of ours bring travellers checks on board and find they serve the purpose. Could you put your vacation needed money on one of those pre-paid cards you purchase at your bank for gifts and then the money that isn't used just transfer back to your savings account?

I think we'll go the route of buying OBC and then have a good amount in our checking account to use the debit card on shore. If you have the necessary amount of OBC to cover the $60/day - will that show to the dock people checking you in so you don't need to give a credit card?

This is copied from HAL site:

Your card will be pre-authorized for US$60 per person for each day for cruises up to 25days and US$30 per person per day for cruises longer than 25 days. At the end of your cruise, you will receive a final statement, and your card will be charged only for the actual amount of your purchases.

Archived