Use of resort beaches in Bonaire

Iloveretirement

We used the Plaza Resort. You can walk to it from the dock - likley only 1/4 mile. The beach was ok but there is not great swimming (except in the pool). The snorkelling is great about 10 ft from the shore. You need water shoes as the coral is rough on the feet. Bonaire is known for it's snorkelling - not it's beaches. It cost $20 to get into the resort and I think $5 for the chair. You have use of the pool, beach, restaurant, bar and washrooms. That was a couple of years ago, could be more $$ now.

• 2 weeks later...

Last month when My husband and I were in bonaire. We went to the Divi Flamingo resort. It was in walking distance from the port.$10.00 pp for a day pass. It was great snorkling !!! You get a chair and drink with your pass. They have a eatery onsite and bar ( regular menu prices). No sandy beach but they had long piers with tables and lounge chairs that over looked the water it was beautiful !!. You can even leave to go back to the ship for a meal if you like and return with your pass ( we did'nt). Oh you can use their showers and pools as well with your pass.It was a steal at $10.00. We saw 100's of fish while snorkling.This was our second time there and will not be the last.

Last month when My husband and I were in bonaire. We went to the Divi Flamingo resort. It was a steal at $10.00. We saw 100's of fish while snorkling.This was our second time there and will not be the last.

How was the coral?

I'm trying to decide between taking the water taxi over to Klien Island, or just making my life easy, and walking over to the Divi?

I enjoy snorkeling, but I've heard that the hurricanes (a few years ago...2007?) broke a lot of the coral close to shore. I've heard in other reports that the Divi had lots of fish... but what is the bottom like? Plenty of rocks and coral? (I like to snorkel to see a nice reef).

I have booked a trip with a private guide for the afternoon session. But still not sure what is best for my morning dive?

How was the coral?

I'm trying to decide between taking the water taxi over to Klien Island, or just making my life easy, and walking over to the Divi?

I enjoy snorkeling, but I've heard that the hurricanes (a few years ago...2007?) broke a lot of the coral close to shore. I've heard in other reports that the Divi had lots of fish... but what is the bottom like? Plenty of rocks and coral? (I like to snorkel to see a nice reef).

I have booked a trip with a private guide for the afternoon session. But still not sure what is best for my morning dive?

Yes there was alot of rocks and alot of coral under the water not much reef but, plenty of fish. I saw moray ells, We did alot of snorkling while in the southern caribbean and it was the best in Bonaire.:)

How was the coral?

Snorkeling at Divi - there were lots of fish right below the pier, but otherwise not much because the Divi waterfront has a sandy bottom, not coral. You're better off going a little farther to the Plaza, where there's very good snorkeling.

• 3 weeks later...
Snorkeling at Divi - there were lots of fish right below the pier, but otherwise not much because the Divi waterfront has a sandy bottom, not coral. You're better off going a little farther to the Plaza, where there's very good snorkeling.

So the Plaza resort has better snorkeling than divi flamingo? do you think klein bonaire beach and snorkeling is better?

So the Plaza resort has better snorkeling than divi flamingo? do you think klein bonaire beach and snorkeling is better?

Yes, walk (or taxi) a little farther past the Divi to the Plaza. The snorkeling is much better there.

Another great site for snorkeling is across the street from the airport, but there are no amenities there.

I haven't snorkeled Klein Bonaire so I can't comment on that.

Whichever you do, I'm sure you'll love the snorkeling on Bonaire. We're going back in April.

Have a great trip!

We are leaning towards taking the cruise taxi over to St. John and snorkeling there and enjoying time on the beach. I hear the beach area by the ship at the Plaza is rocky. I was just thinking maybe we should consider SNUBA - never done it, but it might be just what we need at this point. Not quite scuba, but better than snorkeling. Any suggestions on that?

We are leaning towards taking the cruise taxi over to St. John and snorkeling there and enjoying time on the beach. I hear the beach area by the ship at the Plaza is rocky. I was just thinking maybe we should consider SNUBA - never done it, but it might be just what we need at this point. Not quite scuba, but better than snorkeling. Any suggestions on that?

Sorry, but no SNUBA experience.

I haven't snorkeled Klein Bonaire so I can't comment on that.

I just got back. Water taxi to Klein was fantastic!

I'd go early in the day. Seems that the water can get murky as the

day goes on and the winds pick up.

I posted two photos from Klein over in the other thread - "snorkel Woodward or Renee?" :D

Archived