Power out on the Dawn Anyone know the cause

smeyer418

The system is diesel-electric, like train engines. Each generator is connected to a large diesel engine. On the Pearl, they have 4 -- 2 are enough for normal speeds and ships electricity. The 3rd is phased in for maintenance on the main two and and higher speeds and the 4th is the standby in case of a problem with 1-3.

The propellors are connected to underwater electric motors in what is known as "Azipods" -- steerable propellors.

My speculation is that the problem is not with the engines or generators, at least not all of them (very unlikely to major fail together), but with the electrical distribution system.

Why do they have 4 generators? Do they supply separate primary and back up for the motors, and the rest of the ship? Hmm, would 4 generators run off 4 separate engines, or two?

I believe the Dawn has four diesel engine/generator sets. I've heard it said that a ship like this needs two of those running at capacity to fully power the ship. That leaves (for example) a third to be rotated in and out of duty with first two, and a fourth that is possibly undergoing a heavy overhaul.

In addition, as someone else mentioned, I believe there is a totally independent auxiliary engine/generator that can at least power the navigation, communication and safety functions of the ship. And on some of the ships there is a battery backup system for that.

Given all of this redundant generating capacity, it indeed seems mostly likely that the immediate problem is in the electrical switching/distribution system. But I'll refrain from speculating beyond that.

Speculation - but since I am sure the details will likely not be released (unless there are injuries, they are not required to) so here is my basis. Usually with redundant systems - multiple propulsion drives and multiple power generation units - total loss is infrequent and short lived. In this case, I can only assume that there was something more important than immediately restoring power - likely a safety concern. If a safety system went out, they would work to restore that prior to bringing power back. I do know a little about this as I am responsible for shipboard power and propulsion for many craft, and also aircraft. (but not on this ship)

In all the postings there has been no cause noted....anyone know why(was there an announcement)?

yes I know it was caused by lack of electricity but there has to be a cause.

The NTSB investigated the Princess healing over issue and the Dawn's rogue wave but these both had property damage and injuries. I have not seen an announcement that an investigation is under way.

That normally means the problem was with the framistan.

Please note that the following is speculations:

Based on reading the posts on CC it appears that it is going to be Tuesday before all the passengers are off the ship. (The Dawn's web cam shows it docked in Old San Juan.) I am guessing that repairs will start then......

Why would repair work have to wait until all the passengers disembark?

Why would repair work have to wait until all the passengers disembark?

I am not on the ship, and don't know, but when our power plant trips, expensive generators have been damaged. I suspect they had to wait for a part, a card, to be flown to San Juan to fix the sync problems. While sitting in San Juan I am sure they would want to get everyone off the ship and flown back to Miami as soon as possible. Disembarking the passengers had nothing to do with fixing the electrical problems. Its the other way around, the electrical problems cause the disembarkation....

I doubt that they will ever tell us the whole thruth, But I agree it would be nice to know

I have no doubt that we will eventually get the whole truth. It's hardly a tragedy worthy of a cover-up. I'm sure NCL will take whatever steps are necessary to prevent another expensive recurrence. I look forward to sailing on the Dawn next year.

The system is diesel-electric, like train engines. Each generator is connected to a large diesel engine. On the Pearl, they have 4 -- 2 are enough for normal speeds and ships electricity. The 3rd is phased in for maintenance on the main two and and higher speeds and the 4th is the standby in case of a problem with 1-3.

The propellors are connected to underwater electric motors in what is known as "Azipods" -- steerable propellors.

My speculation is that the problem is not with the engines or generators, at least not all of them (very unlikely to major fail together), but with the electrical distribution system.

I agree.....when the ship lost all power, it probably was a failure in the distribution grid.

We were on the Royal Princess, on the first cruise after they repaired the engine room that was damaged by fire. In that case, the cruise line waited until they had a total understanding before they announced which cruises were canceled.

After the analysis was made, they made the repairs on schedule and only canceled the cruises they announced. I am sure NCL does not want to make an announcement until all the facts and repair decisions are known.

As a TA that spent my "day off" last Saturday trying to assist a hundred angry clients whose cruise was cancelled for 11/29 when every single ship in both Miami and Ft. Lauderdale were fully booked:

If I catch the mouse that chewed the wires, that connected the switch to the thingy, which contolled the whatamacallit, which caused the doohickey to shut down, and caused, oh my gawd, people to be without air conditioning for 12 hours, I'll fry that little b##tard !!! :D

According to a statement from Norwegian Cruise Line, the technical issue was related to the power supply for the automation and control of machinery and hotel auxiliary equipment.

no it explains what happen not what caused it....

I think the 18th mate just tripped over the plug and it detached and he didn't know how to fix it.

"technical issue" can mean almost anything.

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shipposition.phtml?call=C6FT7

the Dawn is on the move...

If I catch the mouse that chewed the wires, that connected the switch to the thingy, which contolled the whatamacallit, which caused the doohickey to shut down, and caused, oh my gawd, people to be without air conditioning for 12 hours, I'll fry that little b##tard !!! :D

Now, that is funny.

PE

Our friends were on this cruise. They took all the passengers off in SanJuan on Saturday, flew them back to Miami, put them up in a hotel, until they could make arrangements to get back to the ship (where parked cars and buses were waiting) or airport on Sunday morning.

They refunded 75% of trip and gave credit of 50% towards another crusie....which, for some people, will NEVER get used!

I live by Port Canaveral where the new ship (and sorry I can remember which cruiseline) tipped sideways injuring lots of people back in July 2006. The reason I remember the date was because I was leaving on my first ever cruise within a few days. I remember coming home from work and seeing ambulances from several different counties arriving to our area. I didn't know what was going on at the time, but if I were to be going on that ship I would want to know what happened for sure.

As it stands, I am leaving on the Dawn Friday. I'm not worried at all. :D

No one was hurt, I'll just be packing a flashlight in case!

I live by Port Canaveral where the new ship (and sorry I can remember which cruiseline) tipped sideways injuring lots of people back in July 2006. The reason I remember the date was because I was leaving on my first ever cruise within a few days. I remember coming home from work and seeing ambulances from several different counties arriving to our area. I didn't know what was going on at the time, but if I were to be going on that ship I would want to know what happened for sure.

As it stands, I am leaving on the Dawn Friday. I'm not worried at all. :D

No one was hurt, I'll just be packing a flashlight in case!

It was Princess Cruise Lines' Crown Princess.

Archived