Carnival's Name Change Restrictions

Glorious

I was told in July 04 that I could make one name change before final payment was made in July 05. Now that my daughter has recently married and baby is on the way and can't go with me, I have another person to go on the Carnival Liberty. Now the travel agency says that there is a name restriction on my cruise and all I can do is get full refund on my deposit. This cruise is sold out and can't rebook.

Is this all I can do?

This doesn't sound good for Carnival's Customer Service?

Gloria

This happened to me in October, and if it is sold out/overbooked, then it goes into a restricted status and they will no longer accept name changes. It is their policy.... you can fight for it though and don't give up, ask for supervisors, send a letter, etc. Sorry, I hope it works out...

I wouldn't assume it's Carnival's policy that is the problem.....?

When my son was undecided about whom to take on his recent cruise, his Carnival PVP told him he could make as many changes as he wanted to PRIOR to final payment, but after final payment had been made, yes there would be a $50 name change. Understandable.

Sounds like your agent may be making this decision, not Carnival?

Cotton, I spoke to about 50 people from Carnival when this happened to me in October... it is definitely a Carnival policy. They just don't seem to announce it when they tell you that you can make the change. If the ship is sold out or overbooked... they actually seem to WANT you to cancel and basically told me they didn't care if we did... and we had 4 cabins booked. Once it goes into restricted status, no name changes. The Miracle cruise next month became the same way... no name changes once sold out. Sucks :mad:

I think that policy stinks. If the ship is sold out, you're not asking for a different room, just a name change. They've already got the spot held for the person who is cancelling, and you just want to put someone in their place. I guess their logic is that if the ship is sold out and you cancel entirely, they can put someone else in that cabin probably at a higher price than what the original passenger was paying.

The difference may be in whether it is sold out or oversold.... ours was sold out. Although the February was apparently just sold out and not oversold. They seem to be getting more strict with this... yes, it does stink and makes ZERO sense to me.... it's as simple as erasing one name and adding another... believe me, I stated my displeasure with this.... One man on the same cruise had to cancel because he had gotten married and wanted to change the name from his friend to his new wife, they would not allow it. They were able to sell that cabin for more money.... nice huh? :mad:

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to know where in the written terms and agreements where it states that you can not make a name change before final payment. Does the terms change when Carnival figures out the cruise was priced to cheap and sold out too soon? My cruise is still 9 months away and they will not budge to provide an ounce of customer service. Is this a luxury cruise line or just a common carrier? I bought a cabin and I should be entitled to pick the other guest in that cabin.

Gloria

To quote Carnival's Contract of Passage:

(1)(d) This ticket is valid only for the person(s) named hereon as Guests and cannot be transferred or modified without Carnival’s written consent. The acceptance or use of this ticket by the person(s) named hereon as Guests shall be deemed acceptance and agreement by each of them to all of the terms and conditions of this Passage Contract.

I have been told and understand that a name change can not be made after the final payment has been made which is not until July 05 for me. I have also been told that I could make 1 name change before final payment. I have no documents or ticket yet; therefore the original agreement still is in effect. There are also name changes even after the final payments are made with a small penalty ($50?) The only change is Carnivals greed that they oversold or overbooked this cruise.

Gloria

That is Carnival's policy if the ship is sold out or oversold they will not make a name change until space becomes available. The PVP is not telling everything, so if you go to change it when the ship is sold out they will not do it. I know because I work for a Travel Agency and we run into this all the time.

That policy does suck. :mad: ..but talking about how sucky it is doesn't help you right now. :( You have decisions to make...do you go alone..or do you cancel and rebook??? :confused:

I'm hoping that you have time in your schedule for July that allows you to rebook on another week...or possibly, keep that week and cruise on another ship. Hey...everything happens for a reason. Maybe a different ship or a different week will turn out better weather, or a better time for you!!

Good luck!! :D

I have been told and understand that a name change can not be made after the final payment has been made which is not until July 05 for me. I have also been told that I could make 1 name change before final payment. I have no documents or ticket yet; therefore the original agreement still is in effect. There are also name changes even after the final payments are made with a small penalty ($50?) The only change is Carnivals greed that they oversold or overbooked this cruise.

Gloria

I am not saying it's a good policy, but from what I understand this is not limited to just Carnival and have heard that it can happen on any line. As sad as it is, it's the policy.... all I can say is keep fighting it. And I mean fight it. Send letters and do whatever you can. Get a letter from your daughters doctor stating what point in pregnancy she would be at during the cruise, Carnival will not let her go if she is farther along than 27 weeks, that MIGHT help... just keep fighting. Good luck!

Archived