Dress Shoes for Teens in Dining Room

pattie63

My 12 year old son has abnormally wide feet and high instep. When he was younger, we could find very wide width shoes at somewhat affordable Now, in order to fit his feet (size 9.5), we have to spend more than $150 and he's out of them in a two months. He's grown 5 inches, gained 30 lbs and 3 shoe sizes this year. Do you think that I could purchase a pair of all black or brown walking shoes or sneakers and have him wear them to the dining room or do you think he must have shoes? His school allows him to wear New Balance sneakers (they are the only off the rack footwear that fit) to dress functions as these are readily available in his size and width. I just hate to spend $150 and have to donate the shoes in two months but I will if I have to. When he was younger and could get away with it, he always wore extra wide Stride Rite dress sandals into the dining room.

What do you think? Any suggestions on shoes and where I can get them would be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks in advance.

My 12 year old son has abnormally wide feet and high instep. When he was younger, we could find very wide width shoes at somewhat affordable Now, in order to fit his feet (size 9.5), we have to spend more than $150 and he's out of them in a two months. He's grown 5 inches, gained 30 lbs and 3 shoe sizes this year. Do you think that I could purchase a pair of all black or brown walking shoes or sneakers and have him wear them to the dining room or do you think he must have shoes? His school allows him to wear New Balance sneakers (they are the only off the rack footwear that fit) to dress functions as these are readily available in his size and width. I just hate to spend $150 and have to donate the shoes in two months but I will if I have to. When he was younger and could get away with it, he always wore extra wide Stride Rite dress sandals into the dining room.

What do you think? Any suggestions on shoes and where I can get them would be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks in advance.

I think a darker pair of walking shoes before tennis shoes would be fine.

Much thanks in advance.

I'd avoid the sandals, but the track shoes sound OK. I really don't think they'll say anything, particularly since he's a child.

Have a great cruise.

I share his/your pain.

Purchase the New Balance or whatever he'll wear again. I would NEVER pay $150 for a pair of shoes a teenage boy will wear a couple of times before he outgrows. No one should be worried about what your son has on his feet, particularly if the rest of him is appropriately dressed.

We have been cruising with our two boys (now 16 and 18) since they were about 10 and 12 and have even though they have narrower feet than your son, we still begrudged buying a new pair of dress shoes for each of them for every cruise, particularly as they rarely wore the dress shoes after the cruise. We found that black running shoes were quite acceptable for teen boys on formal nights on those occasions when they didn't fit into the last pair of formal shoes.

As they grew older we were grateful that they'd still agree to dress up in suits and not try to skip the formal nights so we didn't push things if they skipped the formal shoes.

If you are planning on formal photographs you can make sure they photograph you from the knees up!

Enjoy the cruise

Much thanks in advance.

I manage a sporting goods store and know exactly what walking shoes you are talking about because we sell them. They will be fine to wear in the dining room. If he wears dark pants they will not stand out as much. Some of the other managers I work with wear them on a daily basis with dress pants. It's not the most stylish look but when you are on your feet all day it's comfort first not fashion. I know women have a different opinion on this.

I have seen many a gentleman in the dining room in the evening with sneakers on, along with his jeans and tshirt. I suspect they will say nothing to a 12 year old about what he has on his feet. Now on formal night, the gentlemen would not get in with the jeans or sneakers but I still don't think they would say anything to a 12 year old.

I have seen many a gentleman in the dining room in the evening with sneakers on, along with his jeans and tshirt. I suspect they will say nothing to a 12 year old about what he has on his feet. Now on formal night, the gentlemen would not get in with the jeans or sneakers but I still don't think they would say anything to a 12 year old.

What do jeans have to do with the OP's question. :confused:

It's absolutely fine if your son wears a running shoe. I just bought dark running shoes for the dining room, and it was perfectly fine. On a funny note, my now 16 yr old was seated at the dinner table before us, and was wearing his nicely pressed striped button down shirt. When he stood up, I was mortified to see him in plaid shorts and flip flops-ha! I promise you, he'll be fine!

First,, I too would never spend that sort of money on shoes you know he is only going to wear for a cruise... or maybe a Christmas concert at school. I have two boys,, and both have huge feet, and grew constantly. Band as school required black shoes,, but most of the boys,, mine included wore black runners,, just using a black permanent marker to cover any white stitching etc... from a distance no one could tell.

When my mom passed away ,, well, we got them black dress shoes,, at the SECOND HAND store,,,they were nice,( leather) very nice, and about 15 bucks,, and we were able to use them for boys cruise too.

This spring break I have to hit the second hand store again,, darn sons feet still growing.. LOL

Thank you for being concerned about this. I would not worry at all. On the E,erald in October we were treated to a grown man sporting a baseball cap which he wore all night and a tee shirt. I have no trouble with Princess having rules; I have great trouble with Princess not enforcing them. He'll be fine, I'm sure.

Much thanks in advance.

If you and your son are ok with him wearing dark or any color walking shoes or sneakers go for it. I’m sure the maitre’d won’t even notice or care what your son or anyone else is wearing on their feet. Enjoy your Cruise

Our teen sons wore dress shoes we found at Walmart. I wouldn't normally buy them there, but I knew (like you), that they would grow out of them very quickly. They weren't the most comfortable things to wear or the best quality, but it worked.

On a few of the casual nights, they wore their Vans with Dockers-type pants. I would never allow them to wear sandals of any sort in the dining room.

Our teen sons wore dress shoes we found at Walmart. I wouldn't normally buy them there, but I knew (like you), that they would grow out of them very quickly. They weren't the most comfortable things to wear or the best quality, but it worked.

On a few of the casual nights, they wore their Vans with Dockers-type pants. I would never allow them to wear sandals of any sort in the dining room.

I buy my teen boys dress shoes at Payless. I usually hit a buy one get one 1/2 off sale. For a very short period my older son could wear a pair on mine for the night. Now he is a whole size larger than me. My younger son should be hitting my size soon.

He'll be fine in a pair of dark sneakers of some sort, who looks at shoes anyway? Plus, he has the advantage of age.... you're right not to want to buy anything fancy that he might outgrow in months. Being quite a bit older than your son, I have some foot issues, and need to wear comfortable shoes.... regular dress shoes are almost always out of the question. I can't bring myself to go the custom shoe route yet... though it's looming on the horizon. I'm already planning on the new black New Balance sneakers for formal night.

When my mom passed away - well, we got them black dress shoes, at the SECOND HAND store. They were nice leather - very nice, and about 15 bucks, and we were able to use them for boys cruise too.

Bingo ! Page, you are Brilliant.

Why didn't I think of that. Bad feet seem to run in families. I wear running sandals most of the time; however, on Formal Night, I hobble in on my $150 dress sandals (women get away with sandals).

My daughter is now > 50 and has always had DDDD width, and she bought expensive shoes at "Wide Shoes," so now she just wears thongs (on her feet only). Once in a while, she wears running shoes or dress sandals.

I would not spend a lot of time hangin at the Salvation Army; however, have a look. We always used to find old clothes there for the kids' Halloween costumes. I, like all the others, think that, with a nice black suit & tie, the black running shoes are fine for any DR. You cannot have a good time if your feet hurt.

:D:D:cool::D:D

I would agree with those who say don't worry about the shoes. Who looks at the shoes anyway unless someone's wearing a day glo color or furry slippers. My daughter wears slip on casual shoes to school and everywhere else (athletic shoes for gym class) and has only a couple of other pair (jazz shoes for her drama class and a pair of nice shoes for other occasions -- until she grows out of them, which will probably be the next time she needs those:o).

On the three formal night of our last cruise, my hubby said he's going to wear his casual shoes as his dress shoes were hurting his feet. I said fine and switched from my dressy sandals to my casual ones, for the same reason. If anyone noticed our feet, that's their problem, not ours.

They should be fine. I wear New Balance black whenever I need to put on shoes (sandals are de rigwur here 7 months of the year) except for formal nights, but that's because with a tux they just wouldn't be right. Enjoy your cruise, and he will too!

I would agree with those who say don't worry about the shoes. Who looks at the shoes anyway unless someone's wearing a day glo color or furry slippers. QUOTE]

On my last cruise on the Star Princess to South America' date=' I had bought a pair of Penguin Slippers in the Falkland Islands. I wore them all over the ship and everybody loved them. Since I only had tennis shoes and sandals, I wore my Penguinos to The Chefs Table. Quite exceptable.

All the Crew wanted to know if they came in children's sizes (thinking of their kids back home - so cute).[/font']

:cool::cool::D:cool::cool:

I would agree with those who say don't worry about the shoes. Who looks at the shoes anyway unless someone's wearing a day glo color or furry slippers. QUOTE]

On my last cruise on the Star Princess to South America' date=' I had bought a pair of Penguin Slippers in the Falkland Islands. I wore them all over the ship and everybody loved them. Since I only had tennis shoes and sandals, I wore my Penguinos to The Chefs Table. Quite exceptable.

All the Crew wanted to know if they came in children's sizes (thinking of their kids back home - so cute).[/font']

:cool::cool::D:cool::cool:

Well,, of course Penguin slippers are fine,, I mean ,, Penguins are wearing their formal wear tuxes all the time!

Archived